Talk me out of not buying a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

Max2

I've owned a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited since new. 240,000 miles and still going strong. Only year they did a 5.9 L was the '98

3 sets of tires, 4 water pumps, 2 power steering pumps, 1 alternator, 5 batteries, motor mounts, radiator fan, new axle and rear end but other than that, it's been great..... B)

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

When i was a line technician at Cadillac we had limo's come in that ran 24-7, some with 1 million + miles without even a timing chain replacement.

Maintenance is key but even a well maintained vehicle if not designed well will leave you broken down on the side of the road.

Mopar made some great stuff back in the day, i raced & drove many different models & engines.

Dodge still makes some decent stuff like the Ram trucks & the full size are still OK but once those old dies run out I'm quite sure they won't be made as good by Fiat.

• Like 1

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it.

Ha!  I sort of agree with my friend here, but in a kinder and gentler way.  :rolleyes:

I would question more what is your purpose in wanting the Rubicon? 

The reason being, you are choosing between a Jeep and a truck.  I think of the jeep more as a toy unless you live in a rural area where 4 wheel-drive is needed.  I think of a truck more as a work or transport of goods type of vehicle, although both descriptions are decidedly narrow.

I live in West Virginia where we have lots of both.  B)

• Like 1

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it.

Ha!  I sort of agree with my friend here, but in a kinder and gentler way.  :rolleyes:

I've had all kinds of jeeps, this is about my 8th one. I've even had a full blown rock crawler on 38's, with a stretched frame and chevy drive train. Having a rubicon is the accumulation of a lifelong dream where I wanted to get an unmolested new jeep with zero regrets. I really don't care what anybody else thinks about it. :)

But, if we're going to talk about it, first of all the Rubicon has a better residual value. Jeep Wranglers in general are one of the best vehicles in this regard, last I heard they had twice the residual value of a Mercedes, but the rubicon specifically is about the best investment in terms of losing the least amount of money. Used rubicons ain't cheap. That's good when you're buying a new one.

Secondly, I plan to have this jeep forever and did not want to feel the need to lift it, put lockers in it, put larger tires just to have to regear it, etc., like I did with my others. With that in mind it is MUCH cheaper to just get the rubicon and be done with it. There is nowhere around here that a Rubicon can't go, no reason for all the aftermarket mods. A friend of mine did this, bought the cheapest Sport he could find then tried to fix it up. Ended up spending nearly $60,000 on it, then his wife got a Rubicon and he was so sick after seeing that there was literally zero advantage that he sold his. It's just stupid.

Thirdly, it's just really not that much difference in the long run unless you're getting the bottom of the barrel Sport model with no options. What's a better investment, a Sahara? The base model is like $3,000 difference and it comes with street tires. Upgrading the tires alone is half the difference. If you get any options on the Sport you can spend about as much one one that I did on my Rubi anyway. Pretty dumb.

To the OP, just get the Rubicon and be done with it. :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

My wife nearly bought a Jeep Wrangler Polar Edition last year. Instead she ended up with a Ram Laramie completely loaded. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie and I absolutely love it. The Jeep rear seats are claustrophobia inducing and we have two kids. I cannot picture getting out of a truck now after a couple of years of driving it. My wife had the Jeep for two days and we drove it everywhere to decide about purchasing. After a day with he new Ram she forgot all about the Jeep. Absolutely no comparison for creature comforts and highway miles. If you are a die hard off roader and that is what you are looking for, go with the Jeep....if not look elsewhere. I have three buddies with Wranglers and they only drive them for the "cool" factor in the summer with the top off. 80% of the time they drive something else because the Jeep is so fatiguing. Just my two cents.

Also, we get the Chrysler plan and have added the Bumper to Bumper Lifetime warranty on both vehicles. My $53k truck and my wife's $57k truck cost us around $40k out the door with lifetime warranties so we couldn't go wrong.

Warning: My neighbor is one of the production engineers at the F150 plant and he has had many a truck towed from his home in the morning due to it not being able to start. Something to do with the dampness if we have a lot of rain or if it is foggy out. He has been stranded on journeys also after shutting the trucks off and trying to restart them. I think it is something to do with the 02 sensor or something. I think Youtube or Google will confirm the issues.

Good luck with your search and purchase. First priority, get what you really want!

Better since they went to coils but still not up to passenger vehicle standards.

The only thing that sucks about the new ones on the road is if you're going 75 mph and driving for a long time, the wind noise is higher than usual, even with the hard top. There are headliner kits that are supposed to help but we don't have one. Otherwise the idea that mine has poor road manners is laughable. If I felt that this was reality I wouldn't let my wife tote my kids around in it at 75 mph. It is very stable and the engine is very quiet. The mud terrains that come stock on the rubicons are noisy at highway speeds as well.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Better since they went to coils but still not up to passenger vehicle standards.

Otherwise the idea that mine has poor road manners is laughable.

Keep telling yourself that and maybe it will come true.

Anything made for off road use will differ from the normal passenger vehicle.

• Like 2

I looked at these hard, I ended up buying a 04 TJ Unlimited look them up I love mine and it has the 4.0 in it that will go forever.

I'm far from a jeep guy....but that straight six is great engine imho....

The used car guy next to my shop got a new Rubicon.....he seems to like....

It seems to me every car manufacture has it's own set of problems.....some worse than others....I tell all my customers, when your looking for a car....google it....if there's one thing people do is complain.... there be lots of BS....but if there is really a chronic problem with a vehicle it'll be out there.

Getting a new vehicle should be fun.....good luck...

MKP :-)

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

Thanks for all the responses.  I need something with a trailer hitch 4WD and four doors is a must. We have a 2010 Maxima that just sits as the wife has a company car, so its time to sell or trade. We also have another Euro wagon, but if the wife changes jobs and loses the company car, we will need something else that she can handle too and enjoy driving. One of the best vehicles I ever owned was a '92 F-150, but she is not wanting a truck.  I love Jeeps and have owned 3 CJ's from way back and  also have owned 3 Grand Cherokees 15 years. I just know after a few years the Wrangler style Jeeps "fun" tends to wear off and you are looking for something with better road manners and a little more comfort.  It takes a certain lifestyle and want to make one a long term daily driver, but maybe its time for another go or maybe not. The F-150's look to lead the class in interior looks and comfort, they are really pretty plush.

• Like 1

As far as the Rubicon, why a 4 door??

Because they're awesome.  Unless you're going to scratch it all up every weekend on stupid tight woods trails where you need the tightest turning ratio possible, there's no need for a two door.  If you're worried about breakover angle, then lift it and put bigger tires on.  They're more stable and look better when you do that vs. the 2 door anyway.  

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it. Kind of like all those idiots that had Vettes when I was a kid and drove them like they were driving a Rolls Royce :(

My buddies had $,500 self mapping GPS systems with flat screens the size of your PC monitor to go down to Sothern Ohio. You can go back in for 50 miles down there so it pays if you want to play. My one buddy even had a tug of war where he drug a Semi Tractor across the lot with his H-1

Roger

My poor 67 Vette went through the eyes at 12.20 seconds and 116.4 MPH granny shifting and I drove it on the street to work. God it was thrilling to get about 150 miles to the tank on Sunoco 260.

JJK

• Like 2