Talk me out of not buying a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

Max2

Buy a decent previously loved vehicle and put the extra 20 or 30 grand in the bank.

Keith

Good luck with that if you think Jeep's come cheap. Ten year old Wranglers still hold their value and as was previously stated the new ones are at the top of the heap as far as resale and residual value.

I don't think about Jeeps at all. Vehicles are depreciating assets. I'd rather buy property on the coast.

Keith

I'll say this on the Jeep thing......

On the back of my 77 FJ-40 LandCruiser....I had a sticker that said.."Friends don't let friends drive Jeeps"

Lol lol....

Yea I got a lot of shitt for sticker from my Jeep buds. I had the only Cruiser in the group....and when I got hung-up in a hole those guys would rag on me big time....it was all good.....

MKP :-)

The pickup will drive much better on paved roads as well.

Jeeps buck, wander & ride much rougher than normal vehicles.

I am trying to get to that same point.  If you really want a toy for off-road and playing around, or even the "cool" factor the Rubicon is probably your vehicle, nothing wrong with that. 

My wife drives a Honda CRV which is also good for off-road as long as you don't flog it around, but it is built on a Honda Civic chassis and as such it is much more civilized and quiet on the road, which is where you do 99% of the driving miles.

Or do you want/need a truck... B)

Dave my man....the CRV is built on it's own chassis.....it's totaly different than a Civic.....

Well now that I'm thinking about this the 1st gen CRV's are kinda like Acura Integra's....the engine's are almost the same... the same "B" type engine....and some of the chassis parts are very similar...

Hey I got a first gen CRV 1999... I got a set of Old Man Emu lift springs on it...it's a good little ride for what I use it for...

I didn't read the thread, just saying. I have a 2011 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 Full 4 door with a 6.5ft bed that I have tuned using 93 octane and so far, only the Ford or Chevy 6.2s can come close to me in a straight out acceleration test...and I have a bed cap, air horns, LED bars, and the Lariat package. Ram is a freaking joke in the 150 category.

That being said, after I run this truck out, I'm goin with a 250 at least or a 350. The stability in towing and hauling is just unmatched. 

So, do you really need a truck? Or just want a 4x4 toy? Consider the purpose of what you want. 

Hmm....doesn't seem like the differences are that significant to me. Not completely apples to apples as I could not find exact comparisons online but certainly not far off of one another. 

2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab   0-60 mph 6.0 | Quarter mile 14.8 

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat EcoBoost 4X4    0-60 mph 6.1 | Quarter mile 14.6 

My wife drives a Honda CRV which is also good for off-road as long as you don't flog it around, but it is built on a Honda Civic chassis and as such it is much more civilized and quiet on the road, which is where you do 99% of the driving miles.

Dave my man....the CRV is built on it's own chassis.....it's totaly different than a Civic.....

Well now that I'm thinking about this the 1st gen CRV's are kinda like Acura Integra's....the engine's are almost the same... the same "B" type engine....and some of the chassis parts are very similar...

Hey I got a first gen CRV 1999... I got a set of Old Man Emu lift springs on it...it's a good little ride for what I use it for...

I bow to your superior knowledge.  B)

I had always heard that most of the SUV's were based on truck bodies and the thing that made CRV's different was they were based on the Civic chassis, which means less off-road capability, but more love from the ladies for its smooth ride for pavement work.

I guess I just made up that part about the Civic. :D

• Like 1

What about that 200hp motorcycle in your garage…..do you ride it to it's limits?

ABSOFRIGGIINLUTELY!!!

The V-Max is only a 5 speed tranny. The speedometer goes to 165mph, but Red Line in 5th gear is only 145mph, and yes I have had it well into the Red.

Generation 1 V-Maxes have a known problem with "Death Wobble" that usually occurs sometimes between the speeds of 105 and 125 and I have accelerated right through it before.

Also, a shaft drive bike will bounce the rear tire like a basket ball if you do a hard enough panic stop, and I have been there before as well.

I didn't add nitrous and an air shifter along with other performance upgrade to put, put around on, I will race my stuff!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

What about that 200hp motorcycle in your garage…..do you ride it to it's limits?

ABSOFUCKINLUTELY!!!

The V-Max is only a 5 speed tranny. The speedometer goes to 165mph, but Red Line in 5th gear is only 145mph, and yes I have had it well into the Red.

Generation 1 V-Maxes have a known problem with "Death Wobble" that usually occurs sometimes between the speeds of 105 and 125 and I have accelerated right through it before.

Also, a shaft drive bike will bounce the rear tire like a basket ball if you do a hard enough panic stop, and I have been there before as well.

I didn't add nitrous and an air shifter along with other performance upgrade to put, put around on, I will race my stuff!

Roger

Did you do this on the street? That's a no-no!

I have ridden a 1st gen Vmax quite a few times, stock with a header, fun bike, just watch hitting the gas while leaned over :unsure:

I know the Vmax isn't the best handler, but never heard of that DW, might need a damper. I have heard of the Harley Death Wobble, I doubt I'll ever experience that.

And I will admit, I've seen around 170 mph before, but that was on a track, maybe 150 on the street, but that was a few years ago.

• Like 1

ABSOFUCKINLUTELY!!!

Roger

Did you do this on the street? That's a no-no!

I have ridden a 1st gen Vmax quite a few times, stock with a header, fun bike, just watch hitting the gas while leaned over :unsure:

I know the Vmax isn't the best handler, but never heard of that DW, might need a damper. I have heard of the Harley Death Wobble, I doubt I'll ever experience that.

And I will admit, I've seen around 170 mph before, but that was on a track, maybe 150 on the street, but that was a few years ago.

The death wobble is usually a problem with neck bearing adjustment. I added brand new bearings, torqued and added a damper. :)

In my opinion if someone owns a Gen 1 V-Max and they haven't experienced all of these issues, the bike is riding them, NOT the other way around :)

Roger

My 1967 "S" code 390 Mustang GT Fastback ran 11.30 @ 125 

One of the Jeeps I used to have had this engine in it.  It was a short wheel base 77 CJ5 with the narrow track axles so yeah it was scary.  Back in 1976, AMC didn't know how to make a transmission that could handle the power of the V8's they were introducing, so they had Ford build the transmissions.  At that point, a Ford V8 would just bolt right up to the factory transmission, so somebody did that.  This jeep also had double-wrapped military springs on it, plus all the steering components were worn out.  It was so bad that at highway speed you could have an involuntary lane change.  But yes it was a 67 390 Ford.  I don't know what vehicle it came out of, could be a Mustang, but they also had that same engine in trucks and station wagons that year.  The serial numbers on the engine do not state the original vehicle.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I thought they used the old Torsen rear differentials which are totally streetable. I used one in the rear of my 68 CJ Jeep. Used standard lubricant and made no noise. It was a triple gear worm design.

JJK

Rubicons come with Detroit Lockers in them :)

Roger

In terms of being "streetable", Rubicons come with electric lockers that are normally not on.  They used to be air operated like ARB's but I think they're all electric now.  You have to be stopped and in 4 low before they will come on.  Only bad part about this is when you want to go mudding, which usually works better in high range on the xfer case.  

• Like 1

That blue Rubicon sure is pretty, but in my opinion, it is absolutely retarded to buy a Rubicon if you are not planning on abusing it.

Ha!  I sort of agree with my friend here, but in a kinder and gentler way.  :rolleyes:

I've had all kinds of jeeps, this is about my 8th one. I've even had a full blown rock crawler on 38's, with a stretched frame and chevy drive train. Having a rubicon is the accumulation of a lifelong dream where I wanted to get an unmolested new jeep with zero regrets. I really don't care what anybody else thinks about it. :)

But, if we're going to talk about it, first of all the Rubicon has a better residual value. Jeep Wranglers in general are one of the best vehicles in this regard, last I heard they had twice the residual value of a Mercedes, but the rubicon specifically is about the best investment in terms of losing the least amount of money. Used rubicons ain't cheap. That's good when you're buying a new one.

Secondly, I plan to have this jeep forever and did not want to feel the need to lift it, put lockers in it, put larger tires just to have to regear it, etc., like I did with my others. With that in mind it is MUCH cheaper to just get the rubicon and be done with it. There is nowhere around here that a Rubicon can't go, no reason for all the aftermarket mods. A friend of mine did this, bought the cheapest Sport he could find then tried to fix it up. Ended up spending nearly $60,000 on it, then his wife got a Rubicon and he was so sick after seeing that there was literally zero advantage that he sold his. It's just stupid.

Thirdly, it's just really not that much difference in the long run unless you're getting the bottom of the barrel Sport model with no options. What's a better investment, a Sahara? The base model is like $3,000 difference and it comes with street tires. Upgrading the tires alone is half the difference. If you get any options on the Sport you can spend about as much one one that I did on my Rubi anyway. Pretty dumb.

To the OP, just get the Rubicon and be done with it. :)

With an engine that cost more than most Jeeps, I am not going to tell you what to love but I have two issues with your above post:

1) If as you say, you are going to keep it forever, then resale value is an absolute mute point.

2) Rubicons come with Detroit Locker Diferentials, so why would you have to put lockers in?

Also, unless you are going off road or drag racing, a Detroit Locker is a stupid, pain in the azz on the street. :)

Roger

1. I plan to keep my house forever too, but as we all know, plans don't always work out, which is why I concern myself with the resale value of it as well.  

2. I said I didn't want to feel the need to add lockers, which is why I got the rubicon, which has factory lockers already installed.  

3. Again, Rubicons come with selectable electric lockers, not the classic Detroit lockers.  Unless you're in 4 low and are stopped and press that button, the lockers are completely disengaged, and your streetability argument is a moot point.  

• Like 1

Nothing like grinding tires around every turn & spinning in circles in ice & snow.

May as well just weld up the spider gears. :blink:

You guys don't know what you're talking about if you think all Rubicons are riding around with the classic type of Detroit lockers.  

• Like 1

I know its not the Wrangler, but we bought new a 2014 Grand Cherokee and my wife and I just love that car. We got the nicest Limited version and its been a blast to take on trips and just to use as a daily. My bro in law has a 2012 Rubicon, lifted with 35"s and has nothing but good things to say about it.

I had a 2012 SRT8 Cherokee for a year and it was really fun. Not much for offload, yet it was a pretty salty grocery getter.  It had a few issues since it was the first year out, ok a lot of issues.  The Wrangler seems to have enough old school going on that is would be easier to accept a little rougher ride and a little less long trip friendly.

One thing is for sure, everything is very expensive these days. It seems the domestic vehicle prices are inching closer to the "mid-mid upper" foreign vehicles. A decked out Tahoe or Denali is 65- 70+ grand. An Escalade EXT is a 100K. 

I just pulled up some tricked out Wranglers up and guess how much?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-Rubicon-4X4-KEVLAR-SLANT-TOP-DUAL-ROOF-NAV-KICKER-/331746046201?vxp=mtr

sA_800.jpg

dQ_800.jpg

Look up Starwood Motors if that impresses you.  They usually have several that are over 100 grand.

Better since they went to coils but still not up to passenger vehicle standards.

Otherwise the idea that mine has poor road manners is laughable.

Keep telling yourself that and maybe it will come true.

Anything made for off road use will differ from the normal passenger vehicle.

How about you post up yours so we know you're speaking from personal experience.

We have put 40,000 miles on ours, I also have a truck, and we rent and use company passenger cars regularly, anything from Hyundai Elantras to Cadillac ATS's. Pretty sure I know how they handle comparatively. The JK's are quite a bit different than the older styles. Some people may not like the nitro shocks that are in Rubicons but otherwise they're much more of a car than you'd think. If you've never driven anything that has a solid front axle that may be a little different but I've owned jeeps for so long that these JK's seem plush to me.

• Like 1

So he's retarded if he just likes to drive it without abusing it?

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but from my perspective, YES!

Absolutely no different than buying a Vette to drive it like a luxury cruiser!

If you can't afford to buy a sports car and drive it like a sports car, then you are just a poser wanna-be, and that is my opinion! :)

Roger

This wannabe poser has traveled half this country going to rock crawling competitions, wheeled with Tracey Jordan in the Arizona desert (google tracey jordan rock crawling), has had a jeep of some kind for the past 20 years including CJ5's, CJ7's, and TJ's, and started a trailer sales company and went to welding school for the sole purpose of supporting his jeeping habit due to regularly breaking about $700 worth of stuff per weekend from wheeling so hard. If I want an unmolested new Rubicon then I'll have one, and it will be in a completely unapologetic manner.

• Like 1

If you can't afford to buy a sports car and drive it like a sports car, then you are just a poser wanna-be, and that is my opinion!

This crap gets old.  Calling someone retarded and a poser wanna-be because they want a capable vehicle???  So what if they rarely use it to its full capabilities. 

• Like 2