Any Other CD Player Music Fans Here?

Wolfbane

I've owned and listened to music played on CD Players for 30 years now both solid state and tubed.

With the rise of DACs PC based music as well. Just wondering if I am alone in preferring my CD sourced music today?

Wb

Nope. I had a Rega Planet that I had for the longest time, even replaced the transport when the laser light went bad. Then it got ripped off in a burglary...

Daddy Dee, the great gentlemen that he was, offered up his Marantz/Heart tubed output CD player. I love this player...it may as well be vintage by now, but it sounds better than the Rega Planet.

Now "Marantz/Heart" sure is a name from the past, right around Y2K when I first stumbled upon them; and you provided a great tribute remembering what a kind and generous man Daddy Dee (RIP) was in life.  

I believe that various Marantz CD player models were also used for the Njoe Tjoeb modifications to tube CD player.  What model of Heart modified Marantz do you have (e.g., I believe they were using the Marantz CD4000, CD5000 and CD6000 models)? 

Either the Njoe Tjoeb or Heart have been on my audio bucket list from time to time; however, other things have seemed to take more immediate priority when I do see one come up for sale.

However, I did pick up a Rega Saturn back in 2008, as the credit crisis was heating up, for a small fraction of the $2.5K price new was selling for in 2008; and it is still my primary CD player.  It does have the RAM power supply and master clock modifications and has been very reliable since I bought it.  I have found the modified Saturn to be very impressive in providing detailed, along with an organic-type, presentation (vs. strident, lean, etc.) and substantially better than the old Planet that I had before the Saturn.

My "party" five CD carousel players are an Adcom GCD-600 with the venerable Phillips R2R 16 bit TDA1541 DAC chip and a Rotel RCC-1055 with Burr Brown PCM 1732 DAC chip.

I will typically let the kids use the old Pioneer Elite DV-48AV (plays SACD, DVD-Audio and Redbook CD, among other formats) as their 'high-end' CD player for single play and the Rotel for multiple discs.

CDDAlogo_svg.jpg

_ 25cdlaserarm2.jpg

post-36163-0-09440000-1452357816_thumb.j

post-36163-0-64720000-1452357841_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

In addition to my CD players, I participated in one of the DIYaudio group buys to build a high performance CD transport called the Shigaclone MKII that can be used with various DACs expanding upon the "component" concept that most are familiar with.  Here is a large build thread for those that may be curious.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/255887-shigaclone-mkii-black-builders-thread.html

Although it is not mine (I'm still trying to find what box mine was packed in after my recent move), here is a picture of a bread-board version of the Shigaclone MKII CD transport.

_ shiga-mkII_diy.jpg

post-36163-0-82200000-1452359555_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

I have large collections of both cd's and vinyl and listen to both, with the preference on SQ going to vinyl. I agree that DAC quality is the key for CD's, whether built in or external. My solution to stupid-expensive prices on  high end DAC's and CDPs' was purchasing a lightly used Oppo BDP-95 and just running it in a 2 channel system. Runs and sounds great.

Quality of RIPs is software dependent. At least that is my experience. Since I have used the program Exact Audio Copy (EAC) my computer based music sounds better than any of the CDPs that I have owned. Have to admit that the program is not easy to use and it takes some time to rip a CD ( up to 40 minutes depending on the CD)  but the results are nothing short of amazing!

Josh

Used EAC for 10 years or more.  "GoTo" ripping software.  Main thing is that it will stay with it and can often retrieve CDs that nothing else will.  I've had it at some for many hours at time with success.  Does it sound better?  Can't testify to that, and my computer side says a digital file is either correct or crap.  However, maybe there is some sort of interpolation at work or something.

Anyway, like Josh says, highly recommended.

Dave

I believe that various Marantz CD player models were also used for the Njoe Tjoeb modifications to tube CD player. What model of Heart modified Marantz do you have (e.g., I believe they were using the Marantz CD4000, CD5000 and CD6000 models)?

It's a CD6000.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/143101-wtb-cd-player-wtube-outputbuffering/

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/143840-rik-stoetheart-marantz-tube-output-cd-player/

Yup, Dee was one of the good guys...

I also enjoy listening to CDs. I have an OPPO 105d which I feel is a good all around machine. It plays DVDs, DVD audio,CDs, SACDs so you can find all sorts of stuff to listen to. It wasn't until this summer that I started listening to records and for some reason, I just seem to prefer the cost and inconvenience of vinyl over CDs...

I too listen CD's.  Pretty much only cd's for music.  I use a Harman Kardon DVD37, or 47, can't remember which. 

I have a couple questions if someone might chime in.

Is there a good afordable cd player out there that doesn't break the bank that would be an upgrade over my current CD player?  Not scred of the used market.

I use HDMI currently, is there any advantage or disadvantage in audio in using HDMI, Optical, or analog?

I use a 2.1 set up with 7ii's and r112 sub.

Thanks

Is there a good afordable cd player out there that doesn't break the bank that would be an upgrade over my current CD player? Not scred of the used market.

I would think.

Here are a few CD players(non universal) that may fit your requirements.

On the used market, look for an NAD C542($150.00 +/-), NAD C545BEE($275.00 =/-), NAD C565BEE($400.00 +/-), Cambridge Audio 640C($250.00 +/-), Cambridge Audio 540C($175.00 +/-) to name a few.

New players, NAD C565BEE, NAD C565BEE, Cambridge Audio 651C, Yamaha CD-S700, Marantz CD5005, Marantz CD6005, to name a few.

Bill

I will look into them, are there any specs to look for that sets an average player from a great one.  about $150 is the most was hoping to spend.  I didn't have time to look close, but at best buy(which I hate) I was an Onkyo 5 disc for about 170.

What do you use for audio connections

average player from a great one. about $150 is the most was hoping to spend.

I have owned and  currently own some really nice(mid-fi) CD players(CA 840C, Denon DCD-3520 for example) but the best sounding of all is my current NAD C542($499.00 new 2006).  It is fast, detailed, dynamic, good bass drive, etc. and can be found for around $150.00 on the used market.

Bill

Edited by willland

I use HDMI currently, is there any advantage or disadvantage in audio in using HDMI, Optical, or analog?

Does your receiver have all three types of inputs? An older CD player will just have analog, coaxial or optical output...optical/coax would probably be the best bet for input to the receiver...it may not have a coaxial input, however.

Maybe a blue ray player that will play redbook CDs with good audio quality through HDMI?

Edited by mike stehr

Does your receiver have all three types of inputs? An older CD player will just have analog, coaxial or optical output...optical/coax would probably be the best bet for input to the receiver...it may not have a coaxial input, however.

Maybe a blue ray player that will play redbook CDs with good audio quality through HDMI?

My HK is a 2006ish SACD/DVD player and has HDMI and Optical.  I use it only to play cd's, but like the osd.  This is the highest end "cd" player I've had.  It might be better than some.  I have no frame of reference and basically wondering if an upgrade in audio is possible by connections or a dedicated cd player for around 100-150$  If the additional $ spent wouldn't make a significant upgrade, I would more than likely not purchase.  Thanks again.

I have coax on avr and player.  Would this be the recomended connection to try?  and if so why

Edited by dmb12679

I am a dedicated cd listener. I am with Fjd using Rotel 1072 cdps as my main players, the Rotel 1055 5 disc changer for when company comes over. With roughly 2500 cds, they will continue to be my main source of listening for the foreseeable future. I plan on restoring my 2 wounded Dual TTs, if only to play some of my vinyl collection that I have not been able to replace on cd.

Here is a NAD C542 for $150.00 with box, manual, and remote.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649245355-nad-c542-cd-player-with-hdcd-decoding/

649245355_thumb_2f72afc638412b4e4c5e9655

I have considered pulling the trigger just because it sounds so good.

Bill

Thanks, there aren't any on ebay.  And now I'm registered on another site to spend money lol. I'm going to do some more looking and research on what a new cd player would add to my system if any.  If I'm using a digital connection, would it really make a difference?  Wouldn't any cd player send the same digital signal to my Denon for processing?  Or is this one of those endless arguements like external amplification or all amps sound the same.  Thanks again for your replys, info, and links