Official Forum Snow Gage-Snowmageddon II

thebes

That first pic of yours Thebes was pathetic!  At least the 9p pic had some meat on the bone.  :)

I am in the part of West Virginia that will miss most of the storm.  I have already shoveled three times today and I would say we have about 9" or so.  The WV ski resorts in the higher elevations are supposed to have 18" of more by morning.

we are supposed to get up to 24 inches or so and up 67 mph winds in mid and south Jersey. I am right on that cusp and it is already falling by me now. We are supposed to get hit with 4 high tides like Long Island due to the full moon and I am about 1 mile or so from the water as well. They are talking power outages due to the winds and wet heavy snow. Generator is out back under a table and gassed up, extra gas as well. I think I'd take the 1 inch of rain over this snow. Slow and steady overnight with us also,with a slight stoppage, and then a very big pick up with 2-3 inches per hour

And to boot, we got a field mouse in the attic scratching and chewing last night and already can hear it tonight. Out come the traps.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A foot of snow is around an inch of rain by volume.

approximately 1 inch of rain would equate to 12 inches of snow, or thereabouts.....

Thank You

Thank You

I couldn't remember what it was in snow inches, it's not like I need to know here, 1/2" and the whole town would shut down.  

Keep up the good work Thebes and keep the twins warm if nothing else. 

This is a pic of the front of my shop about 4:00..... maybe a inch or so...

That's a fancy powered snow shovel you got there.  I could have used it this morning.  B)

I've now shoveled 4x since noon yesterday.  Much better to do several small dig-outs instead of one large one.  Overnight we had about 6" of light fluffy snow.  It's very easy to drive on if you have the ground clearance.  My wife works at the hospital so she is "essential personnel" and had to be at work at 7:00a this morning.  The mighty Honda CRV pulled right out of our steep driveway and had no problem with the deep snow, as our neighborhood association roads haven't been plowed since last night.

I've always told her if the snow is deep enough to need a 4-wd you don't need to be going out 99% of the time.  I guess today is that 1% of the time. 

Who has got some snow music, or some winter music?

Tune in at 12:15 to the end if you want some music to wake up by in the morning.  Russian Christmas Music!  It's not on Youtube, but the US Army Field Band does a tremendous version of this piece.  (look for March 29, 2003, at the end of the first half)  :)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Time for the 9AM report.  Winds picking up, maybe 15 to 18 inches on the ground, with another nine hours to go.

I don't have those fancy J&J shovels, just my back, strong forearms and a casual debonair air about me.

I'm off to play Nanuck of the North.

post-12696-0-46380000-1453559278_thumb.j

• Like 2

Weekend off a great time to smoke up some ribs, except...

Noon shoot shows little change, maybe a n inch or two more.  Still all powder. Great for skiers, but not for building snowmen of snowballs.

Supposed to tale off about 7 tonight.

This is the noon report.

post-12696-0-13340000-1453568006_thumb.j

Edited by thebes
  • Like 2