Wall switchplate question

CECAA850

Bathroom outlets should be GFCI on their own circuit. I always wire lighting separate from receptacles for the reason that should a receptacle go bad, there is lighting provided while you work on a receptacle. Not code, but common sense.

I go a step further and run all outlets on one leg and all lighting on the other and I run 20 amp receptacles.

that way I can plug in a table saw if I want to and start up is not going to dim my lights :)

Roger

• Like 1

Most locales I have been in do not allow 14 gauge wire in any circuit. I also like to have only one room of receptacles on one breaker. Even though codes allow that a receptacle must be within 6 feet of a device along a linear wall, (12 feet between receptacles along an unbroken wall length), I like to have a lot more than necessary. It is easy for me to max out the 10 receptacles on a circuit allowed by code.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A table saw in the bathroom?

Everything I wire is like that, you can plug in any power tool anywhere and not dim the lights, plus I place a receptacle every 6 feet of wall space so you are never more than 3 feet from a receptacle.

I also am an absolute believer that it is impossible to put in to much lighting. My bedroom for example has two 3 bulb fixtures in the middle centerline of the room and six can lights, 3 on either side of the room.

I have two 5 bulb fixtures and a florescent tube in my bedroom closet!

Wiring isn't all that expensive, why in the hell should you ever need to run an extension cord or want for more light?

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 2

Wiring isn't all that expensive, why in the hell should you ever need to run an extension cord or want for more light?

Though I'm in general agreement with you.....the thought of you taking a circular saw or belt sander into the bathroom to sharpen your pencil.... strikes me as T.M.I.

:o  

• Like 1

A couple of years ago when I was wiring our basement, Home Depot had 250 ft. rolls of 12/2 for such a cheap price, I cold have bought it, taken it to the recycle place and got more money for it that what I paid. :)

I went to JVS for construction electricity.

When you got detention to stay an hour over after class, you got to take your strippers and strip all the instructors left over wire scraps so he could sell them for the copper. 

Naturally, he had a motive to give you a detention if he could, and you would be surprised at how bad a continuous hour of wire stripping will hurt your hands! 

Roger

I'm guessing Carl is regretting having not locked this thread yet....

Just saying...

:huh:

It served it's intended purpose.  As long as people are posting here, there'll be less fighting elsewhere Roger.

:)  What can I say?

I have no filter, you know that!

You can't take me anywhere1

And..... I like to call a spade a spade!