Replace stock jumpers?

Grizzog

Has anyone here tried replacing the stock metal jumpers on their speakers and seen any results? It seems a lot of "audiophiles" swear by replacing the metal straps with high quality cable.  Since I have some extra 12-gauge speaker wire, I figure I'll give it a try and just make jumpers with that.  ...Not sure this will make any difference whatsoever since the straps are probably the same material as the binding posts, but it's free.

Has anyone here tried replacing the stock metal jumpers on their speakers and seen any results? It seems a lot of "audiophiles" swear by replacing the metal straps with high quality cable.  Since I have some extra 12-gauge speaker wire, I figure I'll give it a try and just make jumpers with that.  ...Not sure this will make any difference whatsoever since the straps are probably the same material as the binding posts, but it's free.

You know that some audiophiles are freaking nuts right? :P  but crazy is personal so give it a whirl but if you can't pick it out consistently and repeatedly blind, well, you know.  

• Like 1

When I got my AK-4 x-overs, replaced the lesser Monster Cable jumpers with Siltech wire I was using in the rest of the speaker.  It made a difference!  Yes, I know the jumpers are very short, but it was audible in my level of very transparent equipment.

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

I have tried this and could not hear a difference.  I am hard head and have to try things for myself.  One day, maybe I will learn?
In my case, Siltech makes silver speaker wire that is known for having a brighter. less full sound in the bass,  Maybe for that or some other reason, the highs stand out more.

But, for whatever reasons, Siltech has become insanely expensive, and I doubt that I could now afford what I have bought in the past.  I assume income inequality has taken its toll on what's affordable for the middle portion of the income scale.  (The editor of Stereophile or TAS has made this very point, with some regret, as middle income buyers can buy less and less of what the industry offers.)

So, I am offering my qualified opinion that different jumper wires can make a difference in some systems.  But, you have to be able to hear a difference in ordinary applications of the different wires, to begin with.

I have tried this and could not hear a difference.  I am hard head and have to try things for myself.  One day, maybe I will learn?

A lot of things can affect hearing.  Studies have been done to confirm this,

For instance, a biologist was interested in studying how far bullfrogs can jump. He brought a bullfrog into his laboratory, set it down, and commanded, "Jump, frog, jump!"

The frog jumped across the room.

The biologist measured the distance, then noted in his journal, "Frog with four legs jumped eight feet."

Then he cut the frog's front legs off. Again he ordered, "Jump, frog, jump!"

The frog struggled a moment, then jumped a few feet.

After measuring the distance, the biologist noted in his journal, "Frog with two legs jumped three feet."

Next, the biologist cut off the frog's back legs. Once more, he shouted, "Jump, frog, jump!"

The frog just lay there.

"Jump, frog, jump!" the biologist repeated.

Nothing.

The biologist noted in his journal, "Frog with no legs - lost its hearing."

• Like 5

I replaced my jumpers with glass fiber optic cables..... Didn't like the digital sound.... So I went back to the jumpers now it sounds analog again.

G.E.M

Your problem is you were supposed to use the plastic fiber not glass.  It is more flexible.

Seriously if you used something like silver wire instead of copper or the bars, you may hear a slight difference.  I usually replace the bars with silver wire just out of principle and as with all other things, placebo effect.

I used silver wire for a while on my Belles. Hated it. It was way too bright. Sold it and never looked back. That was the only time I have ever heard a difference in wiring. I am staying with high quality copper. I don't know why the silver would have made a difference, but it did, and not for the better.

I used silver wire for a while on my Belles. Hated it. It was way too bright. Sold it and never looked back. That was the only time I have ever heard a difference in wiring. I am staying with high quality copper. I don't know why the silver would have made a difference, but it did, and not for the better.

For a short run like jumpers, it would barely matter.  Also a lot of people that use silver, use very thin pure silver.  Can't do the proper transfer with a speaker cable with that.  

I bought up the last I could find of 14 and 12 gauge silver plated copper.  Old Carol cable silver over ETP copper.  Sounds much better, not as muddy as copper.  

Pure silver in thicknesses and lengths needed to drive woofers, probably bad idea.  Used as a jumper cable to mids / highs connecting the main speaker cables to the woofers,  :emotion-21:

Can you show a picture of what metal jumpers you are speaking of? Never heard of metal jumpers.

JJK