Khorn substitute

JoeDirt

I want to put Khorns in my basement. It's a 28 x 42 room with 10 ft ceilings. All finished with carpet, drywall and birch trim. I have Lascals in there now and they sound great. But the Khorns are another beast entirely. Here's my problem. Corners. One corner is perfect, the other is not. The second corner connects a 28 ft wall to a 6 ft wall that leads upstairs. So if I placed a Khorn in that corner, it would project half it's output up the staircase.

Not ideal.

So if I want Khorns, but cannot have Khorns because of the corner configuration, what is my next best option. I don't want to do the false corner thing. I want Khorn sound, or as close as possible, without requiring corner placement. Shoul I be looking at KLF30, RF-7, Cornwall, Belle, or?

My Lascalas are nice, just want that full stage sound that Khorns offer.

Your suggestion?

The second corner connects a 28 ft wall to a 6 ft wall that leads upstairs. So if I placed a Khorn in that corner, it would project half it's output up the staircase.

6 feet out from the corner is enough.  The minimum is usually considered to be 4 feet.  Try it, you may like it.

I have Lascals in there now...

I want Khorn sound, or as close as possible, without requiring corner placement.

Shoul I be looking at KLF30, RF-7, Cornwall, Belle, or?

My Lascalas are nice, just want that full stage sound that Khorns offer.

Your suggestion?

You're already as close as possible to Khorn sound without corner placement... It's called a LaScala.

Your options...

1) Build yourself a horn loaded subwoofer to go with the LaScalas.

2) Buy a pair of Khorn's.

3) Buy a pair of Jubilees with the 402 horn on top and you'll have, according to many, better than Khorn sound.

4) Anything else would be a giant step back...

• Like 4

Another thought (other than a pair of Jubilee's), get the K402 top horn and a pair of something like the Danley DTS-10 subwoofers and convert your LaScala to a JubeScala (bypassing the midhorn & tweeter)

This will get  you the same mid/upper end of the Jubilee yet still add some oomph to the bottom of your LaScalas.

Slap an active crossover in there & watch the smile grow.

post-12967-0-68720000-1459765070_thumb.j

• Like 2

Maybe  Chris can chime in but I wonder how his idea of the multiple driver K402 would fit (by itself) on top of a Danley subwoofer?

Would the 402 with the woofers attached go low enough to mate up with the sub?

Here's my idea (shameless plug), purchase my Jamboree for $250.00 and  receive the half size Jamborette for free.  Build you a second Jamboree and use the Jamborette for a center channel.  I bet you could get by with using the Lascala crossover and mid/tweeter on top until you dive into something like the K402 and an active system.   Heck I even have a couple of EV Hp9040s I will throw in for $100.00.

But yes like others are saying, you would be taking a step back.  As you all ready of the mid/tweeter upgrade, now it would be all about the bass.   Good luck, let me know if you need any help moving stuff around, or auditioning anything.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Another thought (other than a pair of Jubilee's), get the K402 top horn and a pair of something like the Danley DTS-10 subwoofers and convert your LaScala to a JubeScala (bypassing the midhorn & tweeter)

This will get  you the same mid/upper end of the Jubilee yet still add some oomph to the bottom of your LaScalas.

Slap an active crossover in there & watch the smile grow.

This would be my first choice since you have LaScalas already, second choice would be a horn sub and just LaScalas............first choice would sound much better if you went active as Coytee said.

The K-horn mids and tweeters are the same as your LaScala's. The only advantage of the K-horn over your LaScalas is lower bass. A good sub will fill that niche. With the size room you have I would consider adding a center LaScala in the mix along with a decent sub then audio nirvana.  

Although ...

The Khorn lifts the mids and tweets farther off the floor.

Most subs (including mine) are not as precise sounding and "fast" as Khorns in the bass.  A HORN sub would be great, but bulky.