RIP Merle Haggard

Zim.

Just about 2 years or less ago I made my first visit to Pecan Point Brewing in downtown Texarkana.  It's right next door to the Perot Theater.  I was surprised I had to park about two blocks away.  The reason was that Merle was playing at the Perot.  I queried a couple of attendees who were out front during intermission as to the show and they said it was great, but Merle was pretty worn. 

​The second great age of country music is drawing to a close.  As an old fart I really don't know that much about the current seen.   But I miss Tom T. Hall, Eddy Arnold, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Porter Wagner, Mel Tillis, WSM Grand Ol' Opry from the Ryman, and so many that, while not all dead, are off the scene.  I am talking about when our Texarkana country station carred "Bull of the Woods" chewing tobacco and "Prince Albert" ads.  The proof is in the puffin'! Great times, great music.  The real deal.

The arrow of time moves on...

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Not just a loss to country music but a loss to american music. He was one of Americas greatest artists. On par with Sinatra, Elvis, or Nat King Cole. The man was a populist icon. I dont get emotional about the loss of great musicians but I cried hard today.

He is on the turntable as we speak - and will be for some time.