Hawk Attack

twk123

There's a lot of if's and what about's but in the end, it was a direct threat to you personally.

It's your property.   It was a threat to you on your property.

Warning:  Disturbing video ahead....

The other side of course is the bird.  In a certain sense he feels it's his property, and most people and I'm sure you, don't mind those thoughts.

There's kind of an odd yet nice natural order of things usually with nature and people.

When that order gets disturbed, and a battle ensues, what tools do you each use?

The bird uses everything he's got, which is speed, sound and talons...nasty talons.  

You get to use anything you've got, which is..whatever you've got.

In this seriously disturbing video, watch an owl attack and kill a human:

(LOL!)

The state says hey here's what we think but no chance we have the resources to relocate the bird that has a property dispute with you

That leaves you to decide then for yourself, but if you ask me:

• Like 1

You can buy a statue of an owl

And mount it to a helmet.

I just want to point out, that I am the only one here who made a practical suggestion that might actually help the situation.  The only one.

And you just bird-crapped all over my answer.  :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

You can buy a statue of an owl

And mount it to a helmet.

I just want to point out, that I am the only one here who made a practical suggestion that might actually help the situation.  The only one.

And you just bird-crapped all over my answer.  :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

Dave, your suggestion of a statue of an owl is not going to help while the hawks are nesting.  They will protect their youngsters at (almost) all costs....

Again, calling your local Audubon Society or other raptor experts is really the only practical and realistic suggestion here....

http://www.audubon.org/audubon-near-you?state=UT

http://www.hawkwatch.org/blog/item/1024-nesting-no-no-s

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

This happened to us about 13 years ago at our previous residence.  We had 3 outdoor cats and these two enormous and very fat hawks swooped around for a couple of weeks while their babies were just getting ready to leave the nest (as it turned out).  I was afraid we were going to lose a cat or two.  They were unusually big hawks.  We have a lot of them around but they never behaved like that.

But something different happened.  Our male cat figured out what was going on and hid around the woods, stalked, and eventually almost killed one of these hawks that was much bigger than he.  He had it on the ground flailing and there was a mess when it was over, but the bird escaped.  I didn't see it happen and told my neighbor I thought  their dog must have got one of the big hawks.  They said nope, it was your white cat.  (we had 1 white and 2 black cats).

Heck I was afraid he was going to get carried away.  But it was almost the other way around.

Now........we live at a different residence, even more remote and wooded......and I feed all the animals.  They come in peace now and get nice treats.

• Like 1

And you just bird-crapped all over my answer

I thought my idea was a good one, kind of like an avian force field.

I just got swooped on again when I went outside. Not very happy about this at all. We have 4 cats that live outside mainly as we rescued them when they were feral kittens so I am going to have to bring them in for the day at least. I called the Game Warden and they pretty much just said I am going to have to deal with it.

• Like 1

We had hawks and owls and all kinds of rodents......overtime....don't see much of it anymore....my cat is "HUNTER".  The victims are left at my garage floor for me to see.  He has come close to bringing down big birds and squirrels.

The owls scare the mess out of the cat.  At dusk...the cat is at the door wanting to be in the garage at night.  Fear could be the coyotes though.

Hawks are all over but they don't seem to get close to us......Could be the cat...not sure.

Shouldn't you have the same right to protect your family as the hawk does his?

In my mind- YES. Then again, when has the Federal Government ever cared in the slightest about my right to protect my family? :mad:

• Like 1

I wish I had hawks to kill the cats.  I have seen the same level of aggression with mockingbirds, but only for one year.  I'm still not sure why that year was so weird, but have never had any trouble from them before or since.  I speculate they have learned that I am an ally for chasing away the cats. 

I wish I had hawks to kill the cats.  I have seen the same level of aggression with mockingbirds, but only for one year.  I'm still not sure why that year was so weird, but have never had any trouble from them before or since.  I speculate they have learned that I am an ally for chasing away the cats. 

Have you asked them?  :D

I have a bunch of crows come every morning for their black oil sun flower seed breakfast.  It is interesting to watch their behavior.  They are very group oriented with at least one on "watch" all the time alerting the others.  They communicate constantly.  Smart birds.

I toss out old bread sometimes all broken up and one large crow will pick up numerous pieces one after the other till his mouth is stuffed and then fly to a "safe" place to eat it all.

I also put out suet trays that hold approximately 2 cups of suet and I have seen a single crow eat almost the whole thing in about a minute.  I hang them in tress and the crows will dislodge them from the cage so they fall to the ground, then drag them a few feet to get more cover, and pig out quicker than heck.

• Like 1

I saw Alfred Hitchcock The Birds when I was very young. I always thought a couple tennis rackets would be a good defense. They have wings to confuse you, so you arm yourself with wings of your own. Caution: do not try to fly with tennis rackets. The air holes make this impossible.  :)

• Like 1

Caution: do not try to fly with tennis rackets. The air holes make this impossible.

That's a little silly and nobody will really try to do that.  :lol:

I live in West Virginia.  Everybody here knows you use string to bind tennis rackets to your boots so you can walk in deep snow...

3524743072_40b2bc3661_z.jpg

I have to admit, just as Craig suggested, I would be tempted to use the tennis racket against the hawk as well.  I routinely use my racquetball racquet to knock carpenter bees out of the air so how hard could it be to hit a hawk?

Edited by wvu80