Vinyl storage

dtr20

16 minutes ago, jason str said:

Everybody i know stands them up, have records here from the 50's still in great shape standing up their whole life.

Agreed.
I'd image if you stacked them on top of each other the weight could potentially warp them?

I store mine vertical in sleeves and so do all my friends and the stores around me.

21 hours ago, AccessDenied said:

Agreed.
I'd image if you stacked them on top of each other the weight could potentially warp them?

I store mine vertical in sleeves and so do all my friends and the stores around me.

If they have to be stacked horizontally for shipping or some other reason, then no more than 25 lp's per stack.

• 2 weeks later...

I know most took care of the orientation, but just in case someone is reading this and is a complete novice I'd also recommend the follow:

Storing

• Store exactly vertically to prevent warping. Spacers are recommended for every four to six inches.
  • Store LPs with other LPs. Avoid mixing with other sizes such as 10″ and 7″ discs. Never use bookends.
  • Store on metal shelves (as opposed to wood, which expands and contracts).
  • Do not allow LPs to hang over the edge of shelves.
  • Remove shrink wrap from dust jackets immediately after acquiring.
  • Use polyethylene inner sleeves. Never use PVC sleeves as their chemical makeup is too close to vinyl and may cause imprints or fuse to the LP.[13] Replace paper sleeves as paper deteriorates, leaving oil and paper residue.
  • Store in-use LPs at a temperature of 65 to 70 °F (18 to 21 °C). Those in long-term storage should be kept at 45 to 50 °F (7 to 10 °C). Though relative humidity (RH) is considered less an issue for vinyl than other recorded media,[14] it is recommended that LPs be stored at 45 to 50% RH.

Yeah.  I recommend the rice paper lined msfl style sleeves.  Ideally outer jacket sleeves as well.  Vertical with a little play of course, but no one keeps their home at 65 to 70 or 45 to 50f and it's quite frankly not necessary.  Wood shelving can expand and contract all you want, it wont affect vertically stored vinyl unless the tolerances are too narrow.  If you're not a completely anal librarian just keep them protected from dust and vertical without undue stress in a normal in home environment.  As for moving, see my prior post.  It's not like I don't have lp's that still play perfectly from the mid 70s when using the above conditions.  Much like good wine, they are way hardier than the anal retentive would have you believe.