Khorns Help

A1UC

i personally like all the ones with the pie slice logos ( up to 1975 ) and the ones with the laser logos ( 76-77-78 ) all with the AA networks.

Have to be the B style cabinets. ( KB ) - not a fan of the KC style. except the 70th annv. model

veneer type / walnut - cherry - mahogany - brazillion rosewood

no oak - no black

• Like 1

I don't see a budget specifically stated...  so why not look into the "Khorn II" and get the Jubilee.

Take the Khorn, multiply 50 years of PWK experience into it.  Add a dash of Roy's input and viola, you have a much improved Khorn. (no disrespect to any Khorn owners, I once was one)

• Like 2

There is an oak pair in Kansas city.....but to your question there all good some just need some tweaking. If you can find a pair in poor condition at a good price buy them and fix them up. Model B verses C is no big deal.

Your question can be answered better just by spending a few hours reading this forum. Because there are to many variables to your question....your experience...budget.....what your using them for....your room size and corners.....list could be long you see ?

In short if you find a pair you like buy them if you can afford the bucks buy brand new ones.

• Like 1

It is a tough question.  Certainly you should audition and determine that all the horns are working.  I recommended a paper towel roller as a stethoscope particularly to listen to the tweeter. Listen to one at a time using a balance control.  It can be difficult to hear a defect in one when both are playing.

What makes it tough is that we don't know your pocket book and willingness to modify if you're not happy.

You can see the progression of K-Horns here.

https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5cbfef16739445bc76457060528.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/KhornTimeline_635116436015580000.pdf

I observe that 1964 marks the beginning of the "modern" K-Horn with the addition of the K-400 horn.  Maybe the 401 later is worthwhile.  There is a progression of crossovers.  On one hand, Klipsch apparently thought these changes were a good idea (though some is for tweeter protection against the stupid loud freaks).  On the other hand, many here favor and retrofit the simple A type.  Others have strong ideas about crossovers and mods.  Perhaps the latter is like the Chevy - Ford - Mopar debate. 

None the less, I don't think there is a bad year.  QC has always been high.

The newer ones with the enclose back get silly expensive.  But if you have the cash, maybe you could.

Given the market, you probably will not have a wide selection.  Shipping is expensive and anything near enough to transport yourself is, in my mind, good.   Road trips, and tales of same posted here, are a right of passage.  Like crossing the equator but no one dresses up as Neptune, or PWK (yet).  Smile.

WMcD

You guys must not

know the OP well. He's got pockets deep enough...... Doubt he has any real budget constraints. A1UC if I were you I'd go ahead and find some new ones to hear and if you like just get the new 70th anniversary ones and call it a day lol. They are gorgeous. 

I'm guessing you are looking to buy with the possibility that you would resell if they didn't work for you.  In which case, a used set will obviously make the most sense to minimize losses in the event of a re-sale.  With that being said, my recommendation would be to look for the best cabinets you can find (condition and style/veneer/grills that you prefer).  Once you have the cabinets, everything else is relatively easy to replace if needed, but you don't want to be shipping Khorn cabinets.  In other words, if you have to chose between perfect cabinets or perfect components, go with the cabinets.  All Khorns are great and there really aren't any years to avoid.  The components have changed over time, but as mentioned you can configure yours however you prefer once you have good cabinets and aren't opposed to changing out components.  Crossovers will need to be updated on older models of course, so if you buy a newer set you won't have to worry about that.  Once you get Khorns, I would suggest finding some good Single Ended Triode (SET) amps to try with them.  You may decide SET is not for you, but you at least need to give them a good audition (live with them for at least a couple months).

• Like 1

You guys must not

know the OP well. He's got pockets deep enough...... Doubt he has any real budget constraints. A1UC if I were you I'd go ahead and find some new ones to hear and if you like just get the new 70th anniversary ones and call it a day lol. They are gorgeous. 

It's more like Mr Empty pockets lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you are looking to buy with the possibility that you would resell if they didn't work for you.  In which case, a used set will obviously make the most sense to minimize losses in the event of a re-sale.  With that being said, my recommendation would be to look for the best cabinets you can find (condition and style/veneer/grills that you prefer).  Once you have the cabinets, everything else is relatively easy to replace if needed, but you don't want to be shipping Khorn cabinets.  In other words, if you have to chose between perfect cabinets or perfect components, go with the cabinets.  All Khorns are great and there really aren't any years to avoid.  The components have changed over time, but as mentioned you can configure yours however you prefer once you have good cabinets and aren't opposed to changing out components.  Crossovers will need to be updated on older models of course, so if you buy a newer set you won't have to worry about that.  Once you get Khorns, I would suggest finding some good Single Ended Triode (SET) amps to try with them.  You may decide SET is not for you, but you at least need to give them a good audition (live with them for at least a couple months).

ToolShed is building me a DHT Integrated to use with this project , should see it in 30 days or so .

You guys must not

70th is awesome kind of want to make sure I like Khorns first . If I do I might look into them