Center channel made in USA?

Fido

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Fido said:

I love everyone's answers after I tell them I have no room for another large speaker anywhere in my living room and people are saying get a Klipschehorn for my center :rolleyes: lol

There was a slight misunderstanding on my/our part, a forte is not considered a large speaker by most here. :o:lol:

That same room in pic has the 2 ch speakers, just one of them is bigger than all the 6 forte's we use for HT in that room.  

It's just when you get down to it a small center sucks, it has to be at least as capable as the mains since so much information is from the center.

I would use Phantom or no center before something that can not keep up, let that signal go to the mains. 

29 minutes ago, dtel said:

It's just when you get down to it a small center sucks, it has to be at least as capable as the mains since so much information is from the center.

I would use Phantom or no center before something that can not keep up, let that signal go to the mains. 

Yep. I second this.

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Obviously there are some variables here to take into consideration. Yes, I agree the larger the center speaker the better up to the point of matching the mains. But, a quality center like the 64 II properly crossed over and powered sufficiently in a small to mid-sized room with an adequate LFE channel will get really loud and stay crystal clear. I'd say its capable of being too loud in a smallish room if you're sitting right in front of it and they convey a crisp, clean very clear dialogue for TV and movies that is easily enough for a lot of people and situations.  

20 hours ago, Youthman said:

I have owned 3 Academy's at the same time to try as an LCR....I just wasn't impressed at all.

Academy6.jpg

I also had the KLF C7....it was ok but still not as impressive as my RC-64ii.

Klipsch-KLF-30-Wide

The RC-7 is an incredible speaker for sure and still own the RC-64ii.  IMO, both of them sound much better than the Academy or the KLF C7.

Klipsch-RC-7-5.jpg

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-83-RC-65ii.jpg

The Academy set up was a joke you played on who? They look like 2.2s. And behind the screen is the LCR LaScalas, correct?

Mark

On 11/1/2016 at 10:04 PM, Youthman said:

I have owned 3 Academy's at the same time to try as an LCR....I just wasn't impressed at all.

Academy6.jpg

I also had the KLF C7....it was ok but still not as impressive as my RC-64ii.

Klipsch-KLF-30-Wide

The RC-7 is an incredible speaker for sure and still own the RC-64ii.  IMO, both of them sound much better than the Academy or the KLF C7.

Klipsch-RC-7-5.jpg

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-83-RC-65ii.jpg

Was all your auditioning on the Academy done without stands? I ask because I can't imagine many speakers sounding great with the tweeter that far off axis, and especially so in the Academy's case, since it's an MTM and in vertical mode that means a lot of lobing, and in horizontal mode it has 90 degree vertical dispersion, i'd assume leading to pretty strong interference from floor bounce. I'm not saying the Academy is better than the other centers mentioned (it's the only center I've had in my home so I can't say much), just that judging it so far off axis is unfair given its dispersion characteristics.

Yes, they should have at least been angled up to aim right at the listening position. I recently experienced this with my switch from RF-5's to the forte II. The 5's sat naturally at the perfect height so that the horn was near ear level, the forte II mid horn sits about a foot lower and I immediately noticed a big difference and propped the fronts up to correct it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fido said:

Thanks cinema_head I'll try that - right now I'm running a small KEF center

Is it possible to move the front speakers forward and/or move the sub? It looks like a lot of early reflections are being introduced by having your speakers back there. Additionally, a phantom center might work better with the speakers toed in, which wouldn't work with your sub there. I found that without toe in, the center image shifted significantly to whichever side I moved to when off axis, while toeing in stabilized it greatly.