Season's Greetings!

Jeff Matthews

48 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

I don't understand the apostrophe...

Me and the apostrophe, we just like to show up where we don’t belong. Just the consequence of the deadly combination of speed and lack of situational awareness.

what do have against the apostrophe anyway? 

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Me and the apostrophe, we just like to show up where we don’t belong. Just the consequence of the deadly combination of speed and lack of situational awareness.

The crux of the biscuit, is the apostrophe.

6 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Nothing, but all the other conjunctions, such as you will; they will; etc.. all put the apostrophes jus before the double L.

Why is 'you all' different?  

What ^^ a sentence. :wacko:

And shouldn't Merry Texas Christmas have an apostrophe after the s in Texas since it's a Texas' Christmas? Inquiring minds want to know.

Happy Christmas fellow Paul Klipsch disciples. :emotion-51:

3 hours ago, Weber said:

Nothing, but all the other conjunctions, such as you will; they will; etc.. all put the apostrophes jus before the double L.

What ^^ a sentence. :wacko:

And shouldn't Merry Texas Christmas have an apostrophe after the s in Texas since it's a Texas' Christmas? Inquiring minds want to know.

Happy Christmas fellow Paul Klipsch disciples. :emotion-51:

i thought it was my use of the apostrophe that was in question -- then at a glance, i thought i was incorrect.  disregard all of my posts -- my head isn’t in the game.

It's not.  It is a contraction of you and all, just like the initial word in this sentence is a contraction of it and is.  

While there are very few hard and fast rules in ever evolvIng American English, apostrophes are generally used to show possessive and for contractions.  The word "its" deviates from that rule as it's used without an apostrophe to show possession and with an apostrophe to form the contraction.

IMO, apostrophes should not be used to designate plural, with the possible exception of numbers, symbols etc.  For example, "three 6's" is ok, but, IMO, "three 6s" is tidier, whereas, "three six's" is to be avoided.

Ultimately, the purpose of language is to communicate.  Better to give it your best shot, than to be so intimidated by the spelling, grammar and syntax police as to be silenced.  Nevertheless, without some basic rules and an attempt to apply them, communication becomes a problem.

As the Brits say, Happy Christmas and Happy Boxing Day tomorrow.

• Like 1

All contractions are to be used in speech or informal writing only.  The contraction of you and will is you'll; the contraction of you and all is "y'all."  

Have you ever watched Fixer Upper?  Chip Gaines, apparently a graduate of Baylor, constantly uses the tortured phrase, "your alls'" to designate plural possessive.  It's awkward, but you understand him.

• Like 1