HORRIBLE: the shrill is gone, findings

USNRET

Seems you've done all the A/B testing possible and the KHorns sounded fine with other sources. Only when the Mc's were brought to the party did all this begin. I'd be on the phone with Audio Classics the moment they are open for business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

^^^Stock 2015 speakers/crossovers; one would hope that the caps are good 2 years later. Next opportunity I will try my single Belle and/or JBL monitors.

I didn't know they were 2015 models.  As you said, certainly no problems with nearly new caps.

+++

I also forgot you were going from a pre/out, I did know you were going to the new amp.  Is there any possibility the pre/out and the amp aren't playing nice?  Cables included?  I have had RCA cables go bad, but they produced a really bad sound like everything was blown up, not just a problem with the HF range.

One time I started having sound problems a mouse had chewed through half of a monoprice RCA cable. Maybe you have a bad RCA cable or connection in the end of the wire. Try different RCAs is my idea to try. That would fit all the problems. You could try wiggling the RCA while its playing. Did you say it was both speakers doing it ???

If not that I would look at speaker wires next.

6 hours ago, USNRET said:

Just go ahead and stab me in the eye :P
The wife has had 6 sinus and prosthetic inner ear implant surgeries since 2005. She is mostly deaf but hates upper mid range distortion.

She started having severe vertigo issues in Dec and her ENT surgeon in Atlanta had not responded to requests for records (multiple requests beginning in Dec- finally received Friday) so she could get cleared for MRI / Catscan to see what is causing her issue. Walking and driving is touch and go.

A nice trip? We have reservations to get the son and daughter snow ski lessons in Colorado starting in 7 days. Due to issues at work I can not leave here. Every other member of the management team has been placed on administrative leave and I am it 24/7. Silver lining is I am still here. Senior management, VPs and investigators from corporate have been making my life h*ll for the last two weeks; they left Friday. Came real close to telling them to shove it and walking away. I'm still here.

Oh and then there is this stereo issue.

Cheers!

I'm sorry all this is happening at once, probably a lot of weight on your shoulders. I'll bet your gear issues are a simple fix, bad wiring, faulty cable, or warranty work on your new electronics. It will get resolved. You seem to take your job serious, it will work out also. 

I hope your wife gets some relief, ear problems are tricky, finding the right ENT is key. Good luck.

30 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Since it all sounds bad now and the only constant are wires and cables. I would try different ones.

EVERYTHING has been changed (except speakers). Wires, balanced, unbalanced, coaxial, optical and even though it was not the week to do it I changed underwear. As soon as I can I will try the single Belle for something close to the KHorns for comparison.

44 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Since it all sounds bad now and the only constant are wires and cables. I would try different ones.

Isn't the only constant the Khorn tweets?  Is is possible the new amps surged and killed them?

I just don't know what blown K-77's sound like.  Can anyone comment?

On 3/4/2017 at 3:50 AM, ricktate said:

I have a hard time believing the TAP was the cause. But if it worked and your happy ...cool.

I would investigate  further if it was me.....

Those look like brand new units??? K-horns should work on 8 OHM tap.

agree 100% somethings wrong

2 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

agree 100% somethings wrong

C'mon man, you're the expert!

Is there anything in your experience with tube amps where plugging in a Mac 275 to newer Khorns could have caused the kind of chaos in the frequency range of sibilance?

After reading the entire thread I seriously doubt the MC275 has anything to do with the problem. I think it was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since everything possible has been changed except the speaker that leaves only the speakers to blame. I'd be looking over those crossovers and driver wiring real close. Loosen and re-tighten all connection screws for sure! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, babadono said:

With all the ohming out of drivers I am assuming you have done this....but are all the connections at the crossover good?

1 hour ago, NOSValves said:

After reading the entire thread I seriously doubt the MC275 has anything to do with the problem. I think it was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since everything possible has been changed except the speaker that leaves only the speakers to blame. I'd be looking over those crossovers and driver wiring real close. Loosen and re-tighten all connection screws for sure! 

1 hour ago, NOSValves said:

Oh and don't rule out a failed component on the crossovers... defective electronic parts do come up once in the blue moon.

Yep that's what I was thinking. But both speakers (crossovers) at the same time? This is just freaking weird.

23 hours ago, USNRET said:

Just go ahead and stab me in the eye :P
The wife has had 6 sinus and prosthetic inner ear implant surgeries since 2005. She is mostly deaf but hates upper mid range distortion.

She started having severe vertigo issues in Dec and her ENT surgeon in Atlanta had not responded to requests for records (multiple requests beginning in Dec- finally received Friday) so she could get cleared for MRI / Catscan to see what is causing her issue. Walking and driving is touch and go.

A nice trip? We have reservations to get the son and daughter snow ski lessons in Colorado starting in 7 days. Due to issues at work I can not leave here. Every other member of the management team has been placed on administrative leave and I am it 24/7. Silver lining is I am still here. Senior management, VPs and investigators from corporate have been making my life h*ll for the last two weeks; they left Friday. Came real close to telling them to shove it and walking away. I'm still here.

Oh and then there is this stereo issue.

Cheers!

I hope I didn't make things worse.  If I did, I apologize.  It certainly wasn't my intention to disturb you.  I hope things get better for you and your wife soon.

27 minutes ago, garyrc said:

I hope I didn't make things worse.  If I did, I apologize.  It certainly wasn't my intention to disturb you.  I hope things get better for you and your wife soon.

Not at all my man! The system is up playing something on the TV in the background. IF the wife endeavors to take the kids skiing this weekend (asking family/friends if they want a freebie vacation to accompany her) I will engage with the system again.

• USNRET changed the title to HORRIBLE issue found, the shrill is gone