Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Lets try this again😆....  This is two of three copies I bought way back in the day.  This was a compilation of the latest A&M releases all to promote the Altec speaker products.  More pbotoz to come as I continue this shockingly UNexpected result between these two tables! 

• Like 3

Sorry for the crap photos.  I am using a tablet with a low res camera until I can pick up another laptop like my other two when I can go back to my 'real' camera.   Good night everyone, until Wednesday evening.  🌜

100 years of the blues?  Put these two together and you've got sumpin mucho good imo.   The Rock HOF recipient Elvin Bishop can handle himself very nicely but throw in Grammy Award winner Charlie Musselwhite on harmonica?  

It's baaaack!  Released in 2020 it's showin up, which is just fine w/me.  :)  Better jump!  Thank me later.   hahaha

IMG-20220322-192947240.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, GWSmith said:

The reason I went from the factory felt was because I use a Diskwasher system, and the weight of the brush causes the LP to stop while the platter continues to spin, not good.

The silicone mat really holds the vinyl and now the slippage while wet brushing has stopped and I can get the records clean.  

Mossy's table is a VPI (not sure if it is a Scout or not)   He will be on tonight shortly, he can answer better I'm sure.

I hope with those TWO pads on top of your platter, you have not thrown your tone arm height setting off. :o 

When I got my Technics SL-1210M5G 12 years ago, I replaced the stock thin rubber mat with the thick Sorbothane Platter Matter platter mat that I got with my old SL-1400 Mk2 deck.  The records almost stick to it, then I put on the Michell record clamp, and the LPs are held firmly in position for the stylus to read them, and any vibrations other than the ones going into the stylus are damped out.  The mat is 5mm (3/16") thick, but it's easy to adjust the tonearm height on the SL-1200/1210 turntables, because the tonearm is on top of a wide threaded "jack" that lets you move the tone arm base/pivot up or down more than 6 mm, with clear index marks, so it's easy to note the setting and return to it if needed.

A bit later, it allowed me to experiment with the VTA.  I discovered that having the tonearm pivot height set so that the tonearm was just a bit above parallel gave the best bass/treble balance and best clarity on vocals.

Having the thick and heavy mat also adds to the rotating mass of the platter, plus it reduces any possible ringing of the aluminum platter.  I'm well pleased with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My 19-year-old nephew came over yesterday to return the Heresy IIs that he'd borrowed for a party, and I had a chance to spin some tunes for him.

First up was Side One of King Crimson's In The Court of The Crimson King, then the Outlaws' Green Grass and High Tides, then Side One of T. Rex's Electric Warrior.  He found them pretty interesting.

I've already got some music picked out for his next visit, plus he's welcome to bring any of his own music.  As he was leaving, I recommended I'm An Adult Now, by The Pursuit of Happiness, a great Toronto band from the Eighties.

I'm An Adult Now:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVL4GTeLN68

That's odd.  I tried to delete that video, to replace it with the version recorded on the sidewalk of Queen Street West in Toronto, but instead this same video appears a second time.  The link will take you to the Queen West video, possibly the cheapest music video ever recorded, but it seems to be difficult to get it to post with its picture, like the videos above.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Islander said:

When I got my Technics SL-1210M5G 12 years ago, I replaced the stock thin rubber mat with the thick Sorbothane Platter Matter platter mat that I got with my old SL-1400 Mk2 deck.  The records almost stick to it, then I put on the Michell record clamp, and the LPs are held firmly in position for the stylus to read them, and any vibrations other than the ones going into the stylus are damped out.  The mat is 5mm (3/16") thick, but it's easy to adjust the tonearm height on the SL-1200/1210 turntables, because the tonearm is on top of a wide threaded "jack" that lets you move the tone arm base/pivot up or down more than 6 mm, with clear index marks, so it's easy to note the setting and return to it if needed.

A bit later, it allowed me to experiment with the VTA.  I discovered that having the tonearm pivot height set so that the tonearm was just a bit above parallel gave the best bass/treble balance and best clarity on vocals.

Having the thick and heavy mat also adds to the rotating mass of the platter, plus it reduces any possible ringing of the aluminum platter.  I'm well pleased with it.

Yup, same here, the new silicone mat grips the LP.  I don't use a clamp on either table, the UTurn  has an optional, solid acrylic platter, and the Rega has a solid GLASS platter of substantial weight. 

The Groove Tracer subplatter on the P6 is fully jewel bearing equipped, and I would rather not add any more weight upon those bearings then that, that is already upon them. I am thinking that a second purchase of a silicone mat may be all I need for the Rega.

I will be giving my results from the Orbit vs. Rega TEST later this week, so stand by for that.  Realize, that spending LOTS more money doesn't always yield better results!!   Wait for it...........................................

• Like 4

On 3/23/2022 at 3:33 AM, Islander said:

I also prefer a Record Clamp, because this presses through the tightening pressure the record really absolutely evenly flat on the platter.The heavy support weights press the plates from the inside out to the edge of the plate high so that there is a gradient from the outside to the inside.  Most do not consider this and worsens the entire geometry.In addition, the high weight stresses the bearings of the platter.

I am still hot on a copper plate from Micro Seiki ( this one isn´t the dqx 1000 from micro-seiki, this is the older ddx 1000 , without quartz control.

Kupfermatte.jpg.47bcb7a589e035c7763d89d9a0291241.jpg

That´s my record clamp

recordclamp.jpg.2796e9987ef200446c20dd6920b2f462.jpg

The Thorens weight is one of the few support weights that distribute the weight more evenly through the substructure construction, so I have this one in use also.

thorens.jpg.7d8ef304ee6ba93d62afef892d73c425.jpgthorens2.jpg.df8829f87c41a4c292ab93b9b6548f3b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Michell record clamp that I use (I got the “R” (REGA) model, which is made for REGA turntables with a short spindle.  This was to allow the use of the thick Platter Matter mat, which leaves a reduced length of spindle exposed) is quite light, since it’s made of Delrin, a very hard plastic, not metal.  I press down on it momentarily while I tighten it, so the platter bearing isn’t supporting a heavy load for all the time the clamp is on, which includes downtime, since the obvious place to store it is on the spindle.  If a record weight is quite heavy, that load is on the bearing something like 24 hours a day, every day, except when records are changed or flipped.

EDIT:  I just weighed the Michell record clamp on my kitchen scale, and it weighs only 68 grams/2.4 ounces, so there will not be any undue wear caused on the TT’s bearing.  As well, when I press down on the clamp with two fingertips before I tighten it, that load is not very high either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

go blow your horns somewhere else!

At least MY horns are up and running! What are you doing with the 4 sets of Klipsch that you own? NADDA!

Comn up to post 666, care to make a comment, Mike?

• Haha 4