How many here turn off Audyssey

robc1976

I got my Denon X2400H yesterday and tried to run Audessey yesterday for the first time. I never dealt with Audyssey before and can't find anything online about it. During the set up my speakers were emitting light cracking noise that would stop as soon as the est tone starts. The noise was present only when the setup was paused between changing the mic locations. Is it normal? 

Another thing, after I ran the Audyssey the overall loudness went down, any way to bump it up?

Sounds as if you have Dynamic volume turned on.

I do not use Dynamic Volume.

Play with the different filter settings and give it a little time and see if you like it or not.

Double check your speaker distance settings.

I was under the impression that your first mic location was at the main listening position. This first mic location is the only position that sets the distances and it should be centered between the L and R nearest the main listening position.

Not doing this caused the distances to be wrong .

52 minutes ago, dimanata2007 said:

I got my Denon X2400H yesterday and tried to run Audessey yesterday for the first time. I never dealt with Audyssey before and can't find anything online about it.

During the set up my speakers were emitting light cracking noise that would stop as soon as the est tone starts. The noise was present only when the setup was paused between changing the mic locations. Is it normal? 

Can't find anything on-line about Audyssey?  Gack!  The bigger problem is there is so much stuff it's hard to read it all.  Here is the AVSforum.com Audyssey Official Thread with nearly 5,000 comments.  Good luck sifting through that thread!  (do read the FAQ)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii.html

+++

Another thing, after I ran the Audyssey the overall loudness went down, any way to bump it up?

Audyssey calibrates your system to Reference level, which is 82 db in most AVRs (sometimes 80).  Unless you are listening at Reference levels the sound can be a little thin IMO.  It's perfect balance at Reference Levels.

I have two AVRs with Audyssey, a med level and high level version.  I always use Dynamic EQ.  Lately I have been using Dynamic Loudness in the Marantz SR6011 and found it adds much more "body" to lower level listening, especially TV audio.  You might try turning on Dynamic Loudness and try the three levels of compression (light, medium, heavy), decide for yourself if it helps.

Edit:  I would point out that @Davis commented he does NOT use Dynamic Volume.  That is the opinion of the majority who run Audyssey, including me until just lately.  I've had Audyssey in an AVR for 3 years and it was only in the last few weeks I decided to turn it on and play with the various compression levels.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Davis said:

I am a fan of Audyssey and when I first got our Denon AVR-4311ci I was very unimpressed and then someone mentioned the above--The second I turned off Dynamic Volume everything came alive and it hasn't been off since except on an experiment or two. That said, definitely run the program as intended, which isn't as hard as ALL of the comments on the Audyssey thread suggests. As Davis mentioned, make sure the first location is at the MLP and then keep the mic away from obstacles and then tryout the various parameters available...Fwiw, I use the basic Audyssey setting and then the Dolby PlIIz matrixing and the sound system in our HT below is seamless. :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Davis said:

I do not use Dynamic Volume.

Play with the different filter settings and give it a little time and see if you like it or not.

Double check your speaker distance settings.

I was under the impression that your first mic location was at the main listening position. This first mic location is the only position that sets the distances and it should be centered between the L and R nearest the main listening position.

Not doing this caused the distances to be wrong .

Yes, my first mic position was the main listening position, exactly where it should be according to on screen guidance. don't remember if my Dynamic volume is on or of. 

I watched something after the set up and heard no "cracking", the noise appears only during the set up. I'll try to rerun Audyssey again I guess.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Can't find anything on-line about Audyssey?  Gack!  The bigger problem is there is so much stuff it's hard to read it all.  Here is the AVSforum.com Audyssey Official Thread with nearly 5,000 comments.  Good luck sifting through that thread!  (do read the FAQ)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii.html

+++

Audyssey calibrates your system to Reference level, which is 82 db in most AVRs (sometimes 80).  Unless you are listening at Reference levels the sound can be a little thin IMO.  It's perfect balance at Reference Levels.

I have two AVRs with Audyssey, a med level and high level version.  I always use Dynamic EQ.  Lately I have been using Dynamic Loudness in the Marantz SR6011 and found it adds much more "body" to lower level listening, especially TV audio.  You might try turning on Dynamic Loudness and try the three levels of compression (light, medium, heavy), decide for yourself if it helps.

Edit:  I would point out that @Davis commented he does NOT use Dynamic Volume.  That is the opinion of the majority who run Audyssey, including me until just lately.  I've had Audyssey in an AVR for 3 years and it was only in the last few weeks I decided to turn it on and play with the various compression levels.

I was searching for Audyssey cracking  and Audyssey noise and never seen that thread for some reason. 

I went through but haven't found what I'm looking for, so I guess I need to go through FAQ and 5K comments...

edit: can someone just tell me why I'm hearing cracking or post a link?

25 minutes ago, dimanata2007 said:

I was searching for Audyssey cracking  and Audyssey noise and never seen that thread for some reason. 

I went through but haven't found what I'm looking for, so I guess I need to go through FAQ and 5K comments...

edit: can someone just tell me why I'm hearing cracking or post a link?

The quick answer is "I don't know."  I've never even seen it mentioned before, that's probably why you can't search it.  I do have a guess what it might be.

When Audyssey starts its calibration logarithm the first thing it wants to know is "what is the sub-woofer db level?"  To that end it sends out a LF signal which measures the db level of the sub.  If the sub is too hot or too low, Audyssey will not go forward until the sub is set to about 75 db.  It did this with my high end Audyssey in the Marantz 6011, it did not do this with the low end Audyssey on my Onk 717.

If that LF signal is getting past the filters in the crossover and your speakers will not dig that low, you will hear a clicking sound.  I don't know if that is the "crackling" you are hearing, but it could be the same sound we are both hearing.

If you want to test this, try turning off the sub in the AVR's menu so Audyssey won't try to measure it.  Then run Audyssey and see if the clicking goes away.

If that's not it, I think we will have to troubleshoot that crackling sound in and of itself.

I wouldn't describe it as clicking. The noise is something like constant light knuckle cracking and again the noise is audible only when "move the microphone to the next position" or something like that is shown on the screen and the set up in the "pause" mode and was coming at the same level from all speakers. As soon as I hit "next" the knuckle cracking noise stops and test tone starts. The sub was set as 1/2 of volume per on screen setting guide. The calibration went through with no errors, but that noise is bugging me. I'll try to rerun Audyssey with no sub. 

I got Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, but can't find anything about knuckle cracking noise. 

8 hours ago, dimanata2007 said:

I wouldn't describe it as clicking. The noise is something like constant light knuckle cracking and again the noise is audible only when "move the microphone to the next position" or something like that is shown on the screen and the set up in the "pause" mode and was coming at the same level from all speakers. As soon as I hit "next" the knuckle cracking noise stops and test tone starts. The sub was set as 1/2 of volume per on screen setting guide. The calibration went through with no errors, but that noise is bugging me. I'll try to rerun Audyssey with no sub. 

I got Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, but can't find anything about knuckle cracking noise. 

Fwiw, that is highly unusual and shouldn't be happening.

• Like 1

It works very well in my room with the Marantz SR5008. I find the dynamic volume setting at light or medium is great for low to mid level TV watching in the evenings, it keeps the sound full. When in two channel music listening mode I turn it off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dimanata2007 said:

I rerun Audyssey yesterday again and the had the same noise. No errors, everything went smooth,  but the noise is clearly present...

Dunno. Somewhere on here I started a thread where folks could post their trim level settings and experience but it didn't catch on...If you are worried something didn't calibrate correctly feel free to post your trim/gain levels here and possibly someone could help if they don't look correct. 

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Dunno. Somewhere on here I started a thread where folks could post their trim level settings and experience but it didn't catch on...If you are worried something didn't calibrate correctly feel free to post your trim/gain levels here and possibly someone could help if they don't look correct. 

I've seen your thread, but I'm completely new to Audyssey and not good with dB, so I can't contribute anything to conversation. Imo the Audyssey is very easy to run and after dropping the surrounds level I like the sound, the only issue that the overall loudness level is low. I posted my concerns here

in my old thread about calibration and since I've been helped in the past, I hope to get a few answers and opinions this time as well. 

Properly set up, Audyssey sounds great, but it sounds even better if the subwoofer is boosted a bit AFTER Audyssey has been successfully run.  The reason for this may be because flat response is a good starting point, and Audyssey is capable of doing a great job of achieving this, smoothing out both room and speaker response getting the kinks out, but most people prefer a smooth rise toward the bass end of the audio spectrum.  Harman researchers found this to be true, and that listeners in their experiment thought the bass heavy room curve sounded "flat."

Take about 3/4 hour to read this before running Audyssey again: "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

See "Down with Flat" by J. Gordon Holt in the Stereophile online archive.

Here is a target curve JBL has used.   IMO, the treble dip is not desirable, except on recordings with treble distortion.

image.png.7bd29171f7815c325d46a4d04b7cb08a.png

On 1/19/2018 at 12:56 PM, bkevind said:

I use YPAO, but I make adjustments to suit my taste after.  It does sound better with than without.

I agree. I only use one mic reading. Plus my bass is flat from 20-200 Hz. with just 2 subs. Soon to be 3 subs in my new/used house in a few months.