PWK Museum? are YOU IN?

minermark

PWK Museum? are YOU IN?

Ground floor opertune moment that will NOT be here again.

A lot folks here, many threads / opinions / help / and of course BS.

Everyone must admit, it feels pretty good getting your two cents in somewhere throughout the day.

We have a Museum, who the hell else can say that? BOSE? JBL? even my EAW guys got nothing on us.

Iv thrown in my support for PWK's survival, if we do not step up for support of the Museum, we might as well own Bose. 

Im not asking anyone to kickdown anything more than a few bucks, Free Forum is worth that.

25.000+ members :o

Even a Buck from everyone would float the boat pretty dam well..........think about it.

Are YOU IN?:wub:

Miner

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, and Thank You both.

Leaving in the AM to go back up there and do some work. Volunteer of course, Kevin H and us are going to change out the sump pump in the basement for a new model, the old pump is very old and does not always cut on, not good. It's all cement down there including the ceiling and nothing is stored, the idea is to get it to stay dry so some things can be stored down there. Once it is safe from water a dehumidifier will be added to get the humidity where it should be to use the 1500 sf space, doubling the museum. It's an old military building and all the cement is over a foot thick.  

Overall the museum is in great shape, probably because it was built 76 years ago by the military and is an extremely tough building, built like a bomb shelter. It's just alot of little things like with any building but we are very lucky to have such a place, any other construction would probably be falling down by now.  This is what the ceiling in the basement looks like, it's why I said built like a bomb shelter.

klipsch_gathering_5_23_16-124.JPG

• Like 5

• Moderators

Home now, well we did some work on the museum basement the last few days, replaced non working sump pump for a new 1 hp model, and mostly cleaned out the sump which is about 36" deep and about 6' x 6' square. It's not really a sump but the lowest spot which is the bottom of a 4000 lbs capacity elevators shaft. The elevator was built with the building 76 years ago by the military and is hand crank operated, this is the hand crank (pic), it's going to take a little work to get operational, but it's built heavy duty so it's possible, we're hoping, eventually.  It is not made for people, but for moving heavy equipment down to the basement. 

Kevin also arranged for the next door neighbor, a cement company, to donate some cement to fix a problem to help drainage on one side of the museum which has settled over the years and is not draining where we would like. 

Plus install a second window AC for the main level of the building to help the old AC which is kind of old, they will help each other and as a backup for each other, from the heat and humidity. This is not just for people, but there are quite a few irreplaceable very old speakers and artifacts which could be damaged. 

Other general things were done like testing by flooding with a garden hose different places on one side of the building to figure out how to fix some of the drainage problems on the side of the building by the elevator shaft, there is also a set of cement steps going down to to the basement on that side. We now have it figured out what are the main problems, the donated cement will fix the worst part by redirecting the water away on that side where it has settled over the many years. Things are looking good, we are getting a grip on what's going on and how we can fix it, it is 76 years old and we have to fix this smarty and as conservatively as possible keeping cost down but doing it to last.

I have to say this is going great so far, we all have opinions on how to solve each problem and putting them all together to figure out the best way is really working out great, we all have one goal so the best solution wins. 

klipsch_gathering_5_23_16-113.JPG

• Like 4

• Moderators

This is the side of the building with the steps going down on the left side and to the right of the old non working AC is where the elevator shaft comes out, right in front of those double doors. We are thinking that back right door will be where the handicapped accessible entrance will be.

That area from the old AC (which will be removed) by that bulkhead wall at the bottom of the pic (low spot) going to back stairs of the building , will be filled with crushed rock donated by the cement company. A ramp will be made to go over the back stairs, once that area from the stairs to that bulkhead wall is raised, we should have a good slope to make the handicapped accessible ramp. The front door is right on the driveway and has no room for this ramp to work.

That large, old AC on the side porch has not worked forever and will be removed, that window unit in the pic is the old but working unit, the new one is out the back on the other side of the building.

I am just trying to slightly explain some of the things going on so everyone has an idea of what we're doing at the museum. All volunteer and doing everything we can to stretch every dollar to make this be the best we possibly can. 

This story of PWK is quite amazing when you look at everything that is going to be housed in this building, for everyone who has ever seen what is in the museum already, and for the past many years, you have only seen a small part of of the artifacts that will be there, much more than the many models of speakers already in the museum,  but a ridiculous amount of articles, pictures, and general things from PWK's life and the history of the company he started.

He never threw away much of anything, all the way back to his days in school and all throughout his life, which is perfect for for a museum to set up so everyone can see and get an idea of the real man behind the legend. Ane the more I see the more I understand, it's no Bullshit, he is truly a legend.

One idea is eventually put many things online, so people who can not make it in person can still learn of the history and accomplishments of PWK, we just want the true story to be preserved and shared, it's well worth it, even if you're not particularly into audio.    

klipsch_gathering_5_23_16-057.JPG

• Like 4

WOW looks like you have been busy. Looking better already. When we were there last year my son and I got there about 3am.....as I sat there looking at the old building with the sign  chain broken I thought maybe I could find some tools to go fix that before anyone got there. But pretty soon I saw some people walk over and fix the chain. Wish I was closer to help or richer....lol.

Anyway keep up the good work.

• Moderators

A couple of months ago Jim Hunter took down the sign and brought it home to repair it. It was brought back after a complete overhaul and re hung, It looks as good as new now. I made a smaller sign to hang under it designed the same way, it says Jim Hunter Curator. It is made of all Cypress and even painted with the leftover paint used on the bigger sign so it matches.

The big sign is Redwood and mine was Cypress, both should last a very long time outdoors.   

• Like 3

• Moderators

There is a couple of ways now and they are trying to organize a way for just regular donations but it hasn't been worked out yet, but it will and there will be an announcement.

It has to be worked out as far as how it's set up to be done without so much confusion know one knows what's going on and there can be a record of who donated.

Everything seems to be going slow but really behind the scenes things are really happening fast and were trying to not make mistakes or create other problems. 

• Like 3

Is there an overview of what the budget goal is, how much has been raised so far, and what the funds are providing? What are the longterm goals for self-sustainable (or partially) operations? you guys are obviously amped up and taking the charge to get this going, but what plans exist to rotate the board members, either by choice or urgent need?

Curious about that sort of stuff and am not seeing any threads which answer those types of questions.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Is there an overview of what the budget goal is, how much has been raised so far, and what the funds are providing? What are the longterm goals for self-sustainable (or partially) operations? you guys are obviously amped up and taking the charge to get this going, but what plans exist to rotate the board members, either by choice or urgent need?

Curious about that sort of stuff and am not seeing any threads which answer those types of questions.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/170461-first-membership-levels-announced/

I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member...