Parkinson's Disease...Anyone else?

jorjen

• Moderators

As I type this dtel is sleeping. I'm up and reading this thread because his snoring is keeping me awake. I understand that our Creator has his own ideas about how we should be spending our time. 

That being said, my emotions are running wild as I post this. @T2K, I had no idea. @Full Range prayers always, @Marvel we were all with you during those dark times, @BigStewMan, you are always in my thoughts. 

@jorjen, @dwilawyer and I were with you then and we certainly are with you now. 

I may have left someone out in this thread. It's 4:25 am here so please forgive me if I didn't mention you. Just know my thoughts and prayers are always with each of you. I sincerely appreciate you sharing your stories and calling upon us here for support. My inbox is always open and I am always more than willing to share my cell phone number. 

God speed. 

Christy

• Like 3

Christy @dtel's wife

It's amazing how powerful the support from forum members can be. I won't mention names, so as not to out them by sharing their successful sobriety, but several members helped me deal with the alcoholism of my sister and a college friend.  Both lost their battles, despite having much to live for.  I'm O for 2 rescuing alcoholics.  

BTW, when I snore, my wife reads.  When she snores, and loudly, I go back right back to sleep knowing that my love is alive and breathing.  I tell her that her snoring is like music to me.

• Like 4

• Moderators

When @dtel isn't snoring I reach over and touch him to make sure he's still breathing. 11/11/17 will be our 39th wedding anniversary. I can not imagine my life without this man. He challenges me every day to be a better person than I was the day before. 

Alcoholism is a battle. I will admit that I have to be cautious. I truly believe it's there is a certain genetic component. I enjoy a couple of drinks, but it is very easy to cross the line. 

@DizRotus this is what keeps me coming back here....the love, support and commaderie that always prevails. 

You can not rescue someone that doesn't want to be rescued. I've lost two siblings to drug overdoses. They didn't want help. 

• Like 2

Jorjren,

Thank you for sharing this.  It helps you and it helps others.

For those who haven't had the opportunity to see your craftsmanship, I've taken the liberty to attach photos of your handy work.  I'll toot your horn (pun intended, as always) for you.  You're an inspiration in many ways.  Thank you.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

As I type this dtel is sleeping. I'm up and reading this thread because his snoring is keeping me awake.

I highly suggest a sleep study for Mr. Dtel.  I see the signs of sleep apnea in what you described and it can be fatal.  Sleep apnea killed my brother at the age of 50 when he stopped breathing in the middle of the night and had a heart attack. 

I have sleep apnea bad and my snoring was loud enough to keep the kids awake two rooms away.  I now use a cpap machine and I don't snore at all.  I mean none.  And the machine is whisper quiet.

A cpap machine can give you your life back.

• Moderators

All of you, everyone of you inspire me to be a better person. Whether it's moderating, being a friend, organizing the Pilgrimage, serving on both the Executive Committee and the Board of Trustees for the museum or just an average human being.

i can not possibly express my gratitude to the many people we have met in person, or just communicated with on the forum. The list is endless and I would surely leave someone out if I started making a list of how many of you affect our daily lives. There is not a day that goes by that dtel and I do not discuss many of you in this forum. 

I wish I had the time to make an all inclusive list. It would include members that have passed on, members that have left the forum, members that are still here, members we've met and those we have not had the privilege of meeting. 

When i I say I'm overwhelmed with emotions, I mean that with all sincerity. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I highly suggest a sleep study for Mr. Dtel.  I see the signs of sleep apnea in what you described and it can be fatal.  Sleep apnea killed my brother at the age of 50 when he stopped breathing in the middle of the night and had a heart attack. 

I have sleep apnea bad and my snoring was loud enough to keep the kids awake two rooms away.  I now use a cpap machine and I don't snore at all.  I mean none.  And the machine is whisper quiet.

A cpap machine can give you your life back.

I'm working on this, as well as other aspects of his health. We tend to think we are invincible. I know first hand, this isn't the case. I'm winning the battles with him one by one. 

• Like 1

Just now, dtel's wife said:

I'm working on this, as well as other aspects of his health. We tend to think we are invincible. I know first hand, this isn't the case. I'm winning the battles with him one by one. 

You let me know if you need some support on this, I'm on your side.  My wife is a nurse and I didn't listen to her.  I was hard headed, and was in complete denial about my problem, and I was almost dead, wrong.

Quick story:  I used to think I was the zen master, always aware of my surroundings.  I could hear the cat walking past the bed at 3:00 in the morning.  I was hyper-aware of everything and that made me special.

Wrong.  100% completely wrong, but I didn't know it.

When I did my interview with the sleep study Doctor he took a history.  I thought I was "aware" but it turns out I hadn't slept in about 10 years.  I never went into REM sleep, so I never slept the night through.  Now I can get 8 hours uninterrupted sleep, and I love it.  I am energetic in the morning, and no more naps, no more fuzzy thinking.  The cpap machine gave me my life back.

• Like 2

More than once I started to type a comment....but felt/feel it rather insignificant in relation to the depth & scope of this thread.

In the end, we're all going to be in the same 'hood', we'll simply get there via different means.

Personally, I find this thread enlightening and yes, I want to say, inspirational.  

Everyone that has posted one of their trials here, my heart & thoughts are out for you.

• Like 1

People outside this forum don't understand how special this forum is. Support for our audio passion is almost secondary to what is really going on. Somewhere I have a list of all those who chipped in to send us a JM Merlin preamp during my late wife's battle with melanoma. That was a fight! MM is pure evil, as are all cancers.

@jorjen  I remember well the support from you. Here's back at you! And yes, things have worked out well.  @T2K Keith, your words about stress are profound. We tend to get all wound up over little stupid things. Our life here is too short to not enjoy what we have.   Christy, you and DTEL mean a lot to me, as do many others here. To list all of you would make a long list. I looked at some of [edit] Guy Landau's old posts, and came across Dean's battle with cancer. Memories, friends-- past and future.

Hang in there everyone!

• Like 4

I have been wearing my CPAP "elephant-head" costume every night since 2011.  When I went for my sleep study it took them all of 20 minutes after the lights dimmed to come in and tell me that I had sleep apnea and it was BAD!  My father had it, too...and I can NOW tell what all else he had wrong with his health, because I remember all the symptoms of his and those SAME symptoms have been showing up for myself over the past decade or so.  He ALSO was a diabetic, but if he ever even knew it/or was diagnosed with it, he certainly never told anybody or did anything else to fight it.  I have the same symptoms I saw in him, but I KNOW what is causing them, because I am not nearly as hard-headed as he was about going to a doctor!  Looking back now, I sincerely believe that his massive heart attack (which he survived thanks to modern heart surgery advances at the time!) may well have been alleviated if there were CPAP machines back in those days.  The sight of him jumping out of bed and hopping around due to severe leg cramps could have been solved if he had been diagnosed with onset diabetes and had been getting treatment for it....He actually would just pour some table salt into the palm of his hand and lick it and wash it down with water to make the cramps subside, because he had no idea that it was the WATER, and NOT THE SALT that made them subside .  The salt actually SLOWED-DOWN the process of the cramps going away!  And he would never have had them if he wasn't wolfing down a LARGE before-bed snack of something extremely laden with sugars!  He did that my entire life...EVERY NIGHT!  Pound cake with butter...large bowl of cornflakes with multiple spoon-loads of sugar...syrup on a saucer (Karo or Sorghum!!) with butter mixed into it, "sopped-up" with white bread slices...to name a few of his favorite before-bed "snacks"!  He was a multiple-cancer-types survivor from 1963 (stomach) until he finally lost his battle with the double-whammy of throat and prostrate cancer...which eventually joined forces and decimated him in no time flat in 1988!

As for the CPAP machine, it is a life saver, but more than that...it is a QUALITY OF LIFE-saver!

No more feeling dragged-down in the mornings....no more sitting at a table or desk and just falling asleep during the day (RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF TYPING SOMETHING!!)...no more rattling the windows with snoring...and my health is much better, even when considering all the other health problems I have...I can readily still tell the difference in what the CPAP machine usage has done for my overall health!

If my father had been on a CPAP machine and had been being treated for diabetes it would highly likely have extended his life by allowing his health to improve so that his body could more successfully fight the cancers over the years....that is my FIRM belief!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

No more feeling dragged-down in the mornings....no more sitting at a table or desk and just falling asleep during the day (RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF TYPING SOMETHING!!)...n

Great stories, 100% true.  I only gave you one Like because I am not allowed to give you a thousand!  Let's hope Mr. @dtel reads your story and listens to you.  You make a great point about getting your quality of life back.  All true.

Reading between the lines is sounds like Mrs. Dtel needs some of us to hit Mr. Dtel with a heavy dose of reality.  If he's as hard headed as I was he will be hard to convince to go get a sleep study, but he's alive and it's not too late.

I remember before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea I was driving home one day and I got within 5 minutes of my house and I had to pull over and sleep for a half hour because I could not make it home before sleep overcame me.  That's ridiculous.  I was so dangerous when driving.  I drove to Myrtle Beach to see my son a few weeks ago and didn't get drowsy or tired the entire hour trip.  There was a time I couldn't go 30 minutes without needing to pull over and nap.

16 hours ago, minermark said:

Sorry to hear of this.

Knock off the red BS meat products.

Bison is the staple around here and ONLY from meat markets.

Upgrade your you personal Klipsch system, fk what anyone thinks.

Senior members have been there done that, you are on another plane/level than myself.

Brutal i may speak, but im a Nam vet, i know no other way to speak.

Google is your friend and we are here for Ya........

Thanks for the advice Mark. Good advice indeed.

But more than that I sincerely Thank You for your service to me and our country. You have my appreciation and gratitude but most of all you have my respect. I am sorry I have not told you this before now, forgive me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Very sorry to hear this.  During the many times we have spoken on the phone you have never mentioned it once.  

I hope it stays where it is at.

Thank you Travis. Good to hear from you. I have been meaning to call you to let you know how things turned out. I will do that soon.

I did not mention it because my Son is FAR more important than i.

• Like 1