The Klipsch Audio Community
Brac

What I Got Today!

Will be making a drill press table with backstop and sacrificial insert for this drill later. No changing of belt pulleys, as it is variable speed with the pull of a lever. The vice is a huge upgrade over the last one.

20200125_114435.jpg

20200125_114129.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, No.4 said:

All projects officially on hold.

I sure hope not! You're supposed to be my twin in this ESS experiment.

27 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I sure hope not! You're supposed to be my twin in this ESS experiment.

This project will be the exception. I really need to just sit down and hook everything up already. I do need to finish the base for the wings and AMTs however, the guard cat that inhabits my workshop is not very pleased about our new addition. Once we are back on speaking terms I will make some sawdust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, No.4 said:

the guard cat that inhabits my workshop is not very pleased about our new addition.

Nice looking addition to the family!  They'll be all lovey dovey in no time I'm sure!  😂

So my new to me McIntosh MC-150 amp arrived today via FedEx. Unfortunately the power knob took an impact in shipping and broke the glass. Bummer! 

But it sure sounds wonderful with my CW3. My first Mac.

Anybody have an idea what it will cost parts and labor to replace the front glass?

DSC_0063.JPG

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Anybody have an idea what it will cost parts and labor to replace the front glass?

How much ya got?:)

Sure hope that was insured.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, polizzio said:

I have purchased a couple of face plate glasses. It used to be that you call into parts department and tell them what model you need the glass for and they put it on a sticky note. When they have a production run break I'd get a call asking if I still wanted it if so, they would build and send. As I recall several years ago, 10-12, the cost was $75 and it took a couple of months but there is that memory thing. Call Mc parts and get the current lowdown.

Edit: never send Mc without the factory box $50-75 and even then I'd pull the knobs.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I have purchased a couple of face plate glasses. It used to be that you call into parts department and tell them what model you need the glass for and they put it on a sticky note. When they have a production run break I'd get a call asking if I still wanted it if so, they would build and send. As I recall several years ago, 10-12, the cost was $75 and it took a couple of months but there is that memory thing. Call Mc parts and get the current lowdown.

Edit: never send Mc without the factory box $50-75 and even then I'd pull the knobs.

Yes, i called Mac parts and left a message about cost and avail. Low and behold they have a you tube video of glass replacement on a Mac receiver, and it doesn't look that hard at all. And that receiver has a LOT more knobs and a built in  EQ than my simple power amp.

The guy packed it well, double boxed, but only if he had pulled the two knobs off the front I wouldn't be in this boat right now. Came from California. Heavy unit 60 lbs, shifted slightly and knob hit the foam board he used and .....wala...broken glass. I was so bummed when I took it out, but then thought 10 minutes later of Kobe and a helo ride so it will be made right. Its just a friggin amplifier. I talked to the seller and he's pretty accommodating, and apologized. We'll get there I think.

Thanks for your reply sir.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, babadono said:

How much ya got?:)

Sure hope that was insured.

It was fully insured but I hear FedEx can drag their feet for months, and they may want to take possession of the damaged item. Still weighing my options @ this time.

Waiting for a call back from Mac parts, and a local service shop about 50 miles from me for a ball park repair estimate.

37 minutes ago, USNRET said:

So you purchased a couple glasses years ago, did you replace the glass yourself?

That video I watched looks pretty simple but mine does have the two power meters where that receiver did not. Watching the video, I think I could replace it. Its pretty straight forward, remove knobs, approx 6-10 screws, then carefully remove front glass/face assembly. Then disassemble that and replace glass.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:37 PM, polizzio said:

Firearms is another one of my hobbies. I enjoy working on them, collecting, and shooting. I favor Glocks for their total reliability and durability, but i have other manufacturers too. In today's world I don't leave home without it, like my driver's license or credit card. My G-22 sleeps under my pillow every night. Imagine a world (even in America) where people are not even safe in their church worshiping, at a concert, walmart, or attending school.

You might want to correct that to “today’s USA”, and I’m not even positive about that.  Here in Canada, handguns are practically illegal, so nearly all of them are owned by either cops or crooks.  Since handguns aren’t manufactured in Canada, as far as I know, the cops import theirs, and the crooks buy theirs from gun smugglers.  Most of those guns come from the great state of Virginia, where they are bought in batches and then smuggled into Ontario.

Gun crime in Canada is mostly concentrated into two hotspots:  Toronto, and Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver.  In both cases, the gun crime consists mainly of shootouts between and assassinations of drug gang members.  The general public feels no need to arm itself.

While there have been mass shootings in Canada, they are very rare, occurring less than once a year, and nearly always involve long guns.  This is probably due to limited access to handguns.  Canada has just as many disturbed or depressed people as any other country, but they rarely get around to shooting people.

3 hours ago, polizzio said:

So you purchased a couple glasses years ago, did you replace the glass yourself?

Easy to replace the glass. Small bezel that holds the glass. Might want to see if you can source the blue filters HERE for the meters while you are in there. I did a C-28 where the seller swore he was using a factory box...uh, no and he paid for the new glass. Did one on a metered amp as well but don't recall the model 2505 maybe.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Islander said:

Here in Canada, handguns are practically illegal, so nearly all of them are owned by either cops or crooks.  Since handguns aren’t manufactured in Canada, as far as I know, the cops import theirs, and the crooks buy theirs from gun smugglers.  

We live in a violent world, some countries are def worse than others. Human kind have a long history of violence and wars, thousands of years. Many of us in the USA do not count on the police to protect us all of the time. I'm not looking for trouble, but i will defend myself to the bitter end if need be. Somebody breaking into my home while I am here better be prepared. I'll call the police to pick up the bodies and write a report. Ditto while out on the streets, it's a long shot but I will do whatever to survive if I get jammed up.

We just don't rely upon the government or law enforcement to protect us every moment of the day or night. When cops and criminals are the only one with firearms.....you are in real trouble. Sometimes the police cannot be trusted either. Power and authority corrupts some.

29 minutes ago, RTR said:

863E8780-434D-47FD-83BF-1083E1E1DDBD.jpeg

New sub, good choice. Congrats.