Need advice on Heresy I

cho

Can anyone tell me did the Heresy I ever painted in a black texture finish instead of black veneers  from the factory ?The label in the back has Type HBB written on it I have attached a picture for reference.

Thanks in advance 

471ADAB3-04D1-467E-8BAF-B19DD6FC1E79.jpeg

HBB stands for heresy Baltic birch. They came made of birch plywood with no finish on them. The idea was you could save money and finish them (paint, stain, etc) how ever you would like so they fit your home needs. Those look like someone finished them in a textured black paint after they bought them (common practice).

Here is a picture of the bac

8 hours ago, avguytx said:

What do the back panels look like around the tags and terminals?  Does it look like the tags are laid over the paint or like someone painted around them?  Nice looking finish, overall.

Thanks the back panel also looks as good as the rest no over spray at all 

I just worry if it will be harder to resell in the future since it is not painted by the factory 

Thanks for the response 

i understand that HBB is Heresy birch black it my question is does HBB came with this kind of texture finish from

the factory or the owner painted in on top of the original veneer?

Hope someone can verify 

thanks again 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, dtr20 said:

HBB stands for heresy Baltic birch. They came made of birch plywood with no finish on them. The idea was you could save money and finish them (paint, stain, etc) how ever you would like so they fit your home needs. Those look like someone finished them in a textured black paint after they bought them (common practice).

"HBB" stands for Heresy Birch Black...Baltic birch was not used on Heresy cabinet BODIES.  I outta know, I built thousands of them.  Consumer Heresys COULD BE ORDERED with textured black finish.  These are not "industrial" models, because the label would have said "HIB"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

"HBB" stands for Heresy Birch Black...Baltic birch was not used on Heresy cabinet BODIES.  I outta know, I built thousands of them.  Consumer Heresys COULD BE ORDERED with textured black finish.  These are not "industrial" models, because the label would have said "HIB"

Can they still be ordered with the black textured Finish? The Heresy iii’s?

Finally I bought them home , they sound good. I want to ask if I should put some insulation inside and seal the back panel of the cabinets would it improve the sound quality ? Also looking for a set of badge for the grilles.

2E4E5D7D-A90D-4867-9027-3F62209FE5C2.jpeg

9 minutes ago, cho said:

I want to ask if I should put some insulation inside and seal the back panel of the cabinets would it improve the sound quality

I always use a gasket to help seal the rear panels.  I also add egg crate foam to the insides to minimize reflected energy from the back of the woofers.

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I always use a gasket to help seal the rear panels.  I also add egg crate foam to the insides to minimize reflected energy from the back of the woofers.

Try the egg crate thing before sealing the back panel.  I felt no need to add insulation to my Heresys but did seal the back panel which did improve things quite a bit.

Bill

6 hours ago, cho said:

Finally I bought them home , they sound good. I want to ask if I should put some insulation inside and seal the back panel of the cabinets would it improve the sound quality ? Also looking for a set of badge for the grilles.

Do not add insulation to the inside of a Heresy or other speaker that was sized without it.  Insulation add "give" to the volume of the cabinet and makes it behave as though it were larger that it is.  That will change the resonance point of the woofer/cabinet system and may cause a ripple in the low bass response and lose output at the F3 point (where the woofer's response begins to fall off).  Conversely, the ripple could add bass near F3 and lose output above that.  Neither is desirable. 

Sealing the rear panel is probably not necessary, if your cabinets are in good shape, but shouldn't hurt.  I added a diagonal stiffener to mine, but I can't say it made any audible difference. 

• Like 1