Great 2-channel weekend...

Schu

Last weekend I took a trip to California as a mini vacation... go to Disneyland, play some poker and visit some Klipsch scenes.

Fist stop was an audition of a pair of Jubilees at fellow forumite babadono's wonderful home in southern California.

44754861944_6ebc94af4c_k.jpg

Eric was kind enough to allow me a visit with him and his wife to hear these magnificent speakers and he tolerated my playing of some rather eclectic music that I am sure made him go "hum".

The set up was still in it's infancy and eric really hadn't had much spare time to get it completely dialed in, but despite the very spacious listening area and many highly reflective exposed surfaces the system was over powering and very potent. Like a caged tiger ready to pounce at the moment any volume was applied. The system gained more and more significance and impact as the db's rose higher and higher. The 402's were being fed by a pair of TAD4002's and they lived up to the expectation I had for them.

thank you Eric for the great experience.

45480005551_d0f5f9a5bd_b.jpg

Next up, I went to Los Angeles to a place called "In Sheep's Clothing".

45480001721_741d7fcfe3_k.jpg

This is a highend listening bar in the swanky Art's district of L.A. that offers up great Japanese whiskeys and hand blended teas for patrons while they listen to non-stop Vinyl playback via two vintage Garrard 301 turntables. main speakers are Klipschorns driven by what looked like an A23  Amplifier... but I really could not tell.

30539824067_94fc1850c8_k.jpg

Yes... that is a $680 glass of whisky... not a bottle of whisky.

Directly across from the front stage is the bar which houses two Heresy's and what looked like an extrea pair of mid/tweeter section sitting atop to bar.

44566167915_eb078bc13b_k.jpg

when I first got there, they were playing two channel only... later as other patrons began to show up, all speakers were firing.

The sound was absolutely magnificent... zero issues. The detail was quite profound (even with six speakers firing). The room was mainly hard surfaces, but ringing the entire room had an absorption ring that was centered at the HF section of the Klipschorn...

44566166365_aaa4f271b4_k.jpg

the sound was extremely spatial and detailed and fully enveloping with no dead zones... every seat in the small room was a good seat when all speakers were firing.

44566169045_b91d721193_k.jpg

Next up... I went to "upscale audio" in La Verne to see if they possibly had a pair of the new AK6 Klipschorns to listen to, unfortunately they did not.

30602561937_b8290173f1_k.jpg

As a Heritage dealer they did however have several pairs of great speakers... the Cornwall III, the Forte III and a pair of beautiful La Scala II 70th's

45543592691_57f5769754_k.jpg

I was slightly disappointed that I could not hear the new Klipschorn, so I began asking about the new VPI HW-40 direct drive turntable (since they were a VPI dealer). I have been following this model for some time, and fully expected to buy one when it comes out in a few weeks. It's an anniversary model that is a direct drive unit (which is a departure for VPI)... I had thought the unit was going to retail for that 1500-2000$ range as a low end direct drive convenience model in the VPI line... imagine my surprise when they range it up and the receipt said 15,000$... I had to kindly decline that purchase... OOPS!

all in all a great weekend wit great people and great speakers.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

I love that picture of you with the room in the background.

Good looking room, from the way it looks compared to how it sounded well thought out. I say that because it looks like it would not sound good with all the hard surfaces,  but when it does sound good that must have taken alot of planning to get a nice sound. The mirrors above the turntables is a nice touch, really that whole wall is cool. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Budman said:

the lascalas are veneered in what ? oh my

and the plaque, who's that for dealers

Those are 70th's in Queensland walnut...

I had that plaque in my hands and I was standing next to the door... the thought cross my mind for about 2-3 seconds. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There were maybe four listening rooms.... each with several amplification systems of both solid state but main tube based. The CW's and the LS's were on the main floor and not hooked up... the forte' s were in one of the listening rooms... again with multiple amplification possibilities. 

This kind of place would allow you to try different set ups... if they thought you were serious. It's a lot of work to move things around and grrt them hooked up.

Or in Las vegas... I have two LARGE online dealers here in Las Vegas, but not Heritage dealers.

When I was at upscale, Kevin spent time with me and took me around his warehouse, it is massive and very full of product well beyond what he can retail. The retail space is nice, full and unique... but smallish.