Synthetic Motor Oil.....

SWL

43 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

How in the world could they display all the different types of tires that you could put on your car or truck. They come up with the tire pressure by way of how the setup the Suspension and ride quality of the car and also the speed capabilities of the car speed rating of the tires if they want to put on there so on and so on and so on it’s all your role event they cannot put 100,000 different tire pressures on a little sticker for every manufacturer for every speed rated tire for every friction rated tire for every heat rated tire in every other b/s about a tire
Just use what the tires say to use

If you think you know more than the manufactures of the vehicle you are mistaken.

47 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I disagree.  The manufacturer sets the recommendation based on the OEM tires the car comes with.  So after further reading of your post, we kind of agree.  The gist is that the inflation suggestion is for manufacturer supplied tires.  I have seen penciled in some owners manuals different inflations if the original owner elects to go with plus 1's or plus 2's, if offered.

Manufactures do not always use one type of tire on a specific vehicle but if a factory has an optional size it will be listed on the same tag, the owners manual should have this information as well.

15 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== now that we’re nine pages into this with a slight turn to tire air pressure let’s take it all the way with this turn -

nitrogen or good ol’ “air” —?

Dang.....that reminds me....I need to change the air in my tires 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Nitrogen = profit center for the dealership.

Yes Carl, but that’s not inconsistent with it being better for consumers’ tires.  I’m not suggesting it’s better or worse than air; I don’t know or have an opinion.  I’ve never tried nitrogen — actually, I did once, but I didn’t inhale.

But seriously Carl, irrespective of cost to consumers and profitability to dealers, is it better?  If better, is it worth a price premium?

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Yes Carl, but that’s not inconsistent with it being better for consumers’ tires.  I’m not suggesting it’s better or worse than air; I don’t know or have an opinion.  I’ve never tried nitrogen — actually, I did once, but I didn’t inhale.

But seriously Carl, irrespective of cost to consumers and profitability to dealers, is it better?  If better, is it worth a price premium?

It doesn't lose as much pressure over time so if you're not one that regularly checks your tire pressure it may be of advantage to you.

^^^^^

=== a profit center for dealerships I can believe, on the other hand it must be operated at a loss and a customer perk at Costco who’s new tire purchases are all nitro filled. And pull up to the garage doors for a pressure check and fill, it’s nitro. Regardless if you bought tires there or not, they don’t even care of you a membership.

10 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Jason. How long have you been working on cars? I mean getting paid and having over 60 manufactures certificates as being in an automotive technician and not a Parts changer

Part time jiffy lube employee, i was the lead oil change sticker guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My wife has had a Honda (4 cyl ) for 28 months. It has 4,300 miles. Garaged and driven locally every day. The salesman told me to change the synthetic oil every 10,000 miles. I told him I would see him in 5 years. He said in that case change it once a year. I'm wondering what effect frequent short trips has on synthetic oil as opposed to organic oil?

Keith

=== I have a 1999 Silverado with just 60k miles and is used only for hauling and weather I’m not willing to get the “nice” cars out. I use Mobil 1 and change it every two years with under 3500 miles on the change. Oil looks like new and I’m sure performs as such —

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I think they charge more for organically GROWN produce

Was trying to be facetious!

They're all actually organically grown, dirt and water....... There has never been a real explanation on display at any grocery store that I've ever seen. Asked a gal with a kind face once long ago, she said no chemicals involved with growing them. Ha! Like I'd ever believe that, there's no escaping chemicals anywhere on this planet anymore!!

• Like 1