blast worthy music? anyone got some to contribute?

prodj101

----------------

On 11/13/2002 8:30:29 PM JCturboT wrote:

Dale,

I though I was the only one around to listen to April Wine-good to hear there are others out there.

Jeff

----------------

I've got 3 albums by April Wine (First Glance, Harder... Faster and The Nature of the Beast) and they are all excellent. I threw on "Roller" last night and let her rip. I must say, the vinyl sounds really good. I also really like "Wanna Rock" from The Nature of the Beast, and "I Like to Rock" on Harder... Faster...

Mike

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and now for something completely different...

You haven't lived until you've heard the William Tell Overture, by Gioachino Rossini, as performed by the Cincinnati Orchestra under Erich Kunzel, on Telarc #80116, available at Amazon played back at something on the order of 110dB+ peak levels on Klipshorns.

(This is popularly known at the "theme song to the Lone Ranger").

I am serious. You think the Who, Live at Leeds, is something, you haven't heard anything yet...

Interesting thread -- one to be treasured.

hee hee, and Kelly thinks I'M the metalhead -- jeesh Mike, I need to have you send some of that stuff my way!!

I won't add anything I've already seen, so -- here goes (no particular order of preference, and these are for whole CD's, not just songs -- throw on the CD and take the therapy for the whole duration. Also, I consider all of these to be excellently recorded/mixed. Star *, denotes a "must own").

Rush -- Moving Pictures (24 bit remaster)*

Fuel -- Sunburned*

Pantera -- Cowboys from Hell

Babe Ruth -- First Base

Stone Temple Pilots -- Core*

Judas Priest -- Sad Wings of Destiny*

Godsmack -- Godsmack

Live -- Throwing Copper

Nirvana -- Nevermind

Montose -- Paper Money*

Eric Gayles Band -- Eric Gayles Band*

Bachman Turner Overdrive -- Not Fragile

Nazareth -- Hair of the Dog*

Pink Floyd -- A Momentary Lapse of Reason*

Journey -- Infinity (22 bit remaster)*

Led Zeppelin III*

Susan Ashton -- Awakened by the Wind*

The Moody Blues -- Anthology*

Many others, but for now...

Ray, stop it -- you're frightening me:)

i have a TON of blast worthy music, but what i am blasting right now is "Last of the Mohicans" GREAT soundtrack! "The Mask of Zorro" is also playing as well as "Lord of the Rings"

get the first two especially. Those ROCK loud. I mean, totally awesome. They have never sounded better than when on the Heresy's!

----------------

On 11/15/2002 9:38:01 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

"Last of the Mohicans" soundtrack is what got my wife to start to apreciate audio in the mid 1990s.

----------------

Sad... i first heard it in my friend's mom's suburban with its BOSE speaker system. i brought the cd to my promedia v2.400's to heard how it SHOULD have sounded hehe.

----------------

On 11/14/2002 11:45:59 AM Mike Lindsey wrote:

I've got 3 albums by April Wine (First Glance, Harder... Faster and The Nature of the Beast) and they are all excellent. I threw on "Roller" last night and let her rip. I must say, the vinyl sounds really good. I also really like "Wanna Rock" from The Nature of the Beast, and "I Like to Rock" on Harder... Faster...

Mike

----------------

Mike,

Really like "Nature of the Beast" grew up on it with an older brother who played it constantly.Canadian rock at its best.

Jeff

I just picked up Anthrax "Return of the Killer A's"last nite for $4.99 on the closeout rack at Strawberries (People don't know what they're missing)and it has some amazing drum riffs.

Forgot how good "Bring the noise" is with Chuck D.Forget Aerosmith with Run DMC on "Walk this Way"...this is a awesome collaboration of Metal/Rap.

Play it Loud

Jeff

Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Cray, Pink Floyd, John Lee Hooker, George Benson, They all sound great as long as the were well produced. I would also like to recomend a group called Acoustic Alchemy, two classical guitarists that just jam! You can hear their fingers moving on the strings W/Klipsch sound and decent amplification. If you have the chance give them a listen. What sound from a pair of acoustic guitars and backing!1.gif

Don't laugh...but here is my $.02 on the subject:

Maria Muldaur/Maria Muldaur: whole album, special emphsis on her version of "Tennessee Mountain Home"

Lynyrd Skynyrd/Street Survivors: special emphasis on "That Smell"

Lynyrd Skynyrd/Second Helping: Special emphasis on "Ballad of Curtis Loew" , "They Call Me the Breeze", and "Sweet Home Alabama"

Lynyrd Skynyrd/Nuthin Fancy: special emphasis on "Saturday Night Special"

The James Gang/Thirds: special emphasis on "Midnight Man"

Joe Walsh/The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get: special emphasis on "Rocky Mountain Way"

Joe Walsh/So What: special emphasis: "Turn to Stone"

The Who/Who's Next: Special emhasis...the whole damned album!!

Ten Years After/A Space in Time: special emphasis: "I'd Love to Change the World"

ZZ Top/Tres Hombres: special emphasis: "LaGrange"

Uriah Heep/Demons and Wizards: special emphasis: "The Wizard"

Uriah Heep/Sweet Freedom: special emphasis: "Sweet Freedom" and "Stealin'"

The Byrds...45rpm single..."Mr. Tambourine Man"...is in mono, but still great LOUD!!

Lee Ann Womack/I hope you dance: emphasis on title song

Rolling Stones: too many to list!!! LOL!

Foreigner/4

for those of you who think techno is something new...try some old HAWKWIND!!! It will kick the crap outta what is being done NOW!! It was techno before there even WAS techno!! LOL! Hawkwind album recommendation:Doremi Fasol Latido...almost impossible to find, but it is out there!!

Hell...I could go on and on with this list...LOL!

TOOL

The first TOOL CD is immaculate. Clean as a whistle. Crank the hell out it!

John Paul Jones'(of Led Zep fame, bass player) CD 'Zooma' is extremely intense.

uh....just some food for thought as long as we're on the subject of music.....

Everytime I play Stevie Ray Vaughn my dog comes downstairs & plants himself in the center of the music room. He does this everytime. There are no exceptions. My previous dog died the night before Stevie did.

When I put on Pink Floyd he leaves (I like Pink Floyd).

Once, a David Bowie tune was playing on the radio. My wife leaves to check on dinner. The dog always follows her. This time the dog stays. You guessed it! The Bowie song is from the Lets Dance LP. SRV is playing on it.

When I put on TOOL, he throws up. This has happened several times. Needless to say, I remove the dog from the music room when TOOL gets played since it seems to make him sick so fast that he doesn't even get up & leave.