Electric Dryer Taking Too Long

Jeff Matthews

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Kenmore 700 series electric dryer.  Model 100.67751600.

It heats but takes 2 long cycles to dry towels or jean

Any thoughts?

watch this  video  same problem --------and solution --------it's a kenmore

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Run the machine empty and not hooked to the "ducting". Get and idea of how much air it's putting out

It's blowing air pretty well.  I disconnected the exhaust duct in the middle to look for a clog.  No clog.  Ran the dryer with the duct still open.  It blew pretty well and gave a good wind.

• Like 1

I assume you can check the heating unit with a VOM. If it's good, I would look at the "timer" and/or contactor for the heater or check for voltage at the heater. Maybe use an amp meter on the line to the heater. Just because there's voltage doesn't mean there's enough amperage...

Don't ask how I learned this... it wasn't the easy way, for sure.

This happened to me.

At the back of the drum are perforations in the metal. The heating elements sit behind the perforations. Lint gets stacked up and clogs them. 

Mine was about halfway.

I used a bent coat hanger to poke through EACH perforation and tediously dislodge the lint. Starting from the unclogged holes and going in deeper as the chunks freed up.

Here’s the point I can’t stress enough... 

When you turn the dryer back on to blow out the dislodged lint it must be on air dry.

I forgot to turn mine from high to no heat. I realized immediately what I had done, turned off the dryer and opened the door to get licked by the flames before slamming it shut again.

Lucky for me that was back in my home draft beer days and I had a spare 5lb CO2 tank within reach. Cranked open the valve and 800lbs of compressed gas nearly blew the tank out of my hands as I extinguished the fire.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's blowing air pretty well.  I disconnected the exhaust duct in the middle to look for a clog.  No clog.  Ran the dryer with the duct still open.  It blew pretty well and gave a good wind.

-remove the electrical plug ,  remove  the rear panel , and the duct and remove  the lint reservoir  that runs behind the blower wheel impeller -----check it for any damage ,  clean it out -------put it back in ,    if that doesnt solve it ,and the element heats  - you must check these in order   a) a bad moisture sensor ,b) a bad  high-limit thermostat

10 hours ago, dtel said:

one of my techs had a fire due to a defective almost brand new  electric hot water tank ,lucky ,  they had a few minutes to get out , the house was a total loss -

• Moderators

They say a simple little thing like the pop off valve on a hot water heater tank can fail and send the tank through the roof like a rocket. If the heater fails the valve is to let the pressure off if it does not you don't want to be around. 

I roughnecked in the AR oilfields for a friend's company in the early 70s. The mud pump froze-up. Our driller stood squatted between the pump and the mud pit looking at the pump. The pop-off valve, about the size of a small can, shot off hitting him square on his forehead. It knocked him into the mud pit and we had to fish him out, unconscious. It looked like a cartoon in real life; it knocked him 10-12 feet in the air.

SSH