The Speaker Formerly Known As Klipsch

Racer  X

Yes, they are frequently modified. Yes, those that modify them do claim that they sound better.

When I see some of the stuff that folks are doing, for instance changing the output of the mids by -3 or -6 dB (via changing taps on the autoformer) then I become suspicious.

A change of -6 dB is huge. Do you really think the engineers screwed it up that much to warrant a 6 dB drop on the mid horn? The safe bet is that this is not an issue of making it sound better. Rather it is an issue of making it sound "different". Maybe the "Klipsch sound" is not for them. That's okay but wouldn't it be easier to buy a different brand. You should not have to make such large changes to a speaker. 

My 2 cents,

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, to my ears, in my room, the engineers really did screw it up that much to warrant a 6 db drop on the mids.  Or the LaScala requries a -7 db drop at precisely 148 Hz, it definitely has a pronounced hump in it's response, and some call this a feature or glitch.  There are always compromises in design and implementation and my preferences, values, and exectution may be wholly different from someone else.

I do not wish to criticize engineering decisions I am not privy to.  The Klipsch line is generally a great speaker left alone and a great starting point for those interested in tuning and refining.

9 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

The safe bet is that this is not an issue of making it sound better. Rather it is an issue of making it sound "different". Maybe the "Klipsch sound" is not for them. That's okay but wouldn't it be easier to buy a different brand. You should not have to make such large changes to a speaker. 

Um, with all due respect, exactly who are you to say ?

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Racer X said:

When you've been here a bit longer you might recognize @PrestonTom as a connoisseur and gentleman simply offering a valid viewpoint.

And when your foot doesn't... 

Don't get riled, just having fun and pointing it out.

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Not riled, and certainly appreciate any input.  But have to push back on suggestion "Klipsch sound" not for me as I am not worthy or don't appreciate it and I should not make such drastic changes and I should consider shopping elsewhere for a more appropriate sound rather than make simple tweaks or adjustments.

• Like 1

I can only speak for myself...wanted to trade in my RF7 MK II for a MK III, got it home for a test listen and was not convinced. Since I had previously built speakers with Dynaudio components myself, I said to myself..then I rebuild the MK II according to my individual ideas. They have incredible potential due to their really very good drivers. Of course, I thought the series model sounded very good, otherwise I would not have bought them for after all 4,000 € the pair. When I took the first Wallnut RF7 II out of the box I got a shock, different grains, a horn was installed crooked, the insulation was not anchored to the inner walls but lay loose in the cabinet, closed the bass reflex ports, etc.etc.. I immediately complained to my German dealer. Something like this should not happen in this price range. My dealer had to unpack me 6 originally packaged RF7 MK II to match a few that also visually fits in the walnut design to each other.  

• Like 3

I had one of Claude's first pair of Super Heresy for a year or two and can tell you the mid range and the tweeters were to the front of the imaging moreso than on the heresy II that I had owned for three decades almost. Played with their placement in a big room with a vaulted ceiling ran the amp on flat and the sound was reminiscent the LaScalas that I had heard for the first time the previous year. Having their drivers and a different x over did the job @ClaudeJ1 intended. They were a completely different animal then!!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Racer X - you are correct. I am just some idiot on the internet (aren't we all).

Back to the point .... if you are having to change the output on the midrange by 6 dB then something is wrong. Perhaps this may not be the speaker for you. That's okay there are plenty of other choices out there. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your in the driver's seat...yeah.

When you mod a speaker, upgrade it, not down.

Not a modder but, if you like it, turn us on.

Using a Heresy to experiment is abit off with super cheap tweet.

Tom has been around the block, just keep it between the lines... driver's seat.

Thanks!

Not concerned with the block Tom has been around, it's not helpful to me in my quest for better sound.

Very insulted he suggest it me, not the speaker.  Well, in a way it is, so I change the speaker to my preference.  A suggestion I would be happier elsewhere not helpful.  And then to be set up by Tom and intentionally misquoted by Randy reflects poorly on them.

The super cheap tweet was a tongue in cheek joke, sorry it missed.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Racer X said:

Not concerned with the block Tom has been around, it's not helpful to me in my quest for better sound.

Very insulted he suggest it me, not the speaker.  Well, in a way it is, so I change the speaker to my preference.  A suggestion I would be happier elsewhere not helpful.  And then to be set up by Tom and intentionally misquoted by Randy reflects poorly on them.

Wasn't lost on me...of course, serious about Tom.

Do what you like, that's what I say.

Think you fit well here but, who am I to say.

Looking to argue here about modding though, you need a good rap is all...

Thanks!🔨

Sorry about the hammer...

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Cut out the personal bullshit, and dial it down a notch.

Go back and look at the tenor and tone of his post. He is always a gentleman. I think you are reading something into it that isn't there.

Didn't we just have a thread on this?

11 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Geez Louise, "set up by Tom ...." Buddy, this is nonsense. Do you want folks to be helpful, or do you want folks to blindly agree with you. I am quite serous. There are many, many speaker manufacturers out there. Klipsch may not be the answer for you. Why not find find some manufacturer that does not require you to attenuate the mid-range by -6dB. It is not a case of right or wrong .... It is a question on what is right for you. 

However, as  I said before in in answer to your question about "who exactly am I ....." well, I am am just some idiot on the internet". Enough said .....

• Like 2