The Jubilee are in the house!

MMurg

16 hours ago, MMurg said:

Luckily, my ex-wife graciously offered to let me store them in the huge basement in her house. 

That's great.

Mine would have graciously accepted them, too. Then she'd haul them into the backyard and set them on fire. She's funny that way...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, michaelwjones said:

That's great.

Mine would have graciously accepted them, too. Then she'd haul them into the backyard and set them on fire. She's funny that way...

Luckily, my ex and I are still friends.  We just decided we couldn't stand living with each other anymore.  🙂 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MMurg said:

Luckily, my ex and I are still friends.  🙂 

Me also... After our divorce I actually invested with her brother on some property in Southern California... all in the family.

• Like 2

I don't think my ex wubs me anymore.  Cost me a mil to get rid of her and 120k in my atty fees.  The only box she wants me in is a big cardboard box that fits inside that easy bake oven my buddy @ the funeral home owns.  :)  I did take away something from it all though.  "Attorney's are like feeding piranha."  Carry on!    😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Getting back to boxes, the 4 boxes that a pair of La Scala IIs come in are pretty bulky.  Luckily, the owner (yes, the original owner) of my LS2s kept the boxes, so we could load the speakers into my Grand Caravan with confidence, but it was completely filled, even with the 2nd row bench seat removed.

However, the boxes do fold.  My locker in the building (the little compartment that replaces the garage, the attic, and the basement of a house owner, like I had been) already looked like a winning screen of Tetris, but somehow, it was possible to slide the LS2 boxes right in there.  Those boxes contain thick white floppy foam pads to protect the speakers, but somehow they didn’t take up much space in the locker either.

I’m not using the HF cabinets of the LS2s, because their functions are now provided by the big Jubilee tweeters, so where did I put them?  Nowhere, that’s where.  The cabinets weigh roughly 80 pounds/36kg, and their boxes add quite a bit to their bulk.

As well, setting the 402 horns directly on the La Scala II bass cabinets means they sit pretty low, as you can see in the picture from a JubFest, the one with the Jubilee on the right and the JubScala on the left.  While that may be fine if a single LS2 is being used as a centre channel speaker, for main speakers, it gives the effect that the musicians are sitting down on the same level with the listener.  That might be fine for some acoustic folk music, but for everything else, it sounds better and more realistic if the musicians appear to be on a stage that’s above above floor level.

To keep the horns directed directly at the listening position (directly to my ears), I tilted them forwards by 7 degrees.  This also reduces ceiling bounce, from the 8 foot high ceilings, and they’re high enough that floor bounce is not an issue.  Come to think about it, having the 402s on top of the La Scala II HF sections puts them at about the same height as the 402s on the Jubilees, so that makes sense, although it was done for the sake of convenience.

That setup works very well.

• Like 1

The boxes do fold down to take up less volume...just sayin'

Contemplating a move in the not too distant future I retained my Jube boxes. The LaScalas have plywood protective crates that I built eons ago and are good to go.

• Like 3

Virtually the whole planet has gone over the edge. Sad.

I close on a place out in the sticks of Western Maryland next Wednesday. It will be my last move barring unforeseen events. Small place with about 3 acres in the woods with few neighbors. A pair of Jubes would not fit well.

But if that ever happened I could crank 'em up with no complaints.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MMurg said:

They are incredible.  It's hard to describe them without it just sounding like a string of superlatives.

— then make it simple. They sound okay - 

As for boxes, I kept my Jube boxes by cutting them down and stacking them. At least the bin boxes. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, MMurg said:

They are incredible.  It's hard to describe them without it just sounding like a string of superlatives.

I haven't even heard them myself but, just reading about and seeing pictures of the Jubilee causes my brain to generate positive superlatives in my thoughts.

• Like 1