Electric Riding Mowers?

JJkizak

18 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I don’t mind if anyone embraces the EV hype. Good on ya. But don’t tell yourself you’re saving the planet, or any of that self righteous bullshite. 

The planet isn't the issue.  The planet will be fine without us.  Like baba suggests, an intelligent progression towards better ways of doing things is what man has always done.  It has to happen organically, economically, and logically.  Self righteousness can also be another term for Luddite, supporting last century technology in opposition to a better future.  After all, the horse was superior to the original motor car toys of the rich back in the day, right?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

I don’t mind if anyone embraces the EV hype. Good on ya. But don’t tell yourself you’re saving the planet, or any of that self righteous bullshite. 

I was needing a new car.  Friends son had passed.  He said his son had a 'fancy Honda' that I could buy....(and did so)

Hybrid Accord.  Gas engine but think trains.....diesel electric.  Car has gas engine, powering the big battery, generator AND the wheels.  Makes a lot of sense to me as I have the range of a gas car and some higher mileage because of the electric.

I've averaged 51 MPG's over 23,000 miles and still look at the display every day with a bit of disbelief.  Being electric drive, it will also SCOOT when you put it into sport mode, verses econ mode.  

Now, if they could just make a diesel electric version of this.....  or similar for lawn mower!!  (I've converted everything I can over to diesel but for chain saws and backpack blower.  Tough to lug a 3-4 cylinder engine on your back to produce the electricity!!  

I read an article that did the math and it takes about ten years of EV ownership before you reap any financial advantage over ICE. And by that time you are probably looking at a battery replacement. So buy them because they are fast, or cool, or whatever. Just remember for the time being, fossil fuels are really still powering that car.

• Like 1

Actually for the time being ,  40 percent of the power produced to run an electric car comes from non fossil fuel sources. This advantage allows us to “pollute less as we go “. Generally you will find that the same people that are against electric vehicles are also opposed to alternative energy sources  , wind and solar for example , they evidently believe that the answer to our growing energy needs is the burning of even more fossil fuel , coal , petroleum ,natural gas . But , things are changing and the electrification of auto transportation will ultimately temper the demand for petroleum and other fossil fuels . A huge advantage of electric cars that largely goes unnoticed is the inherent flexibility that electricity provides , electric vehicles can be powered by any fuel source from petroleum to nuclear ,solar ,hydroelectric or anything that may be used to produce electricity in the future  , its irrelevant to the car how the electricity was produced .I’m not sure why this could possibly be such a bad thing .  These changes won’t happen overnight  , there will be time for the required  infrastructure changes  , and the technology will continue to develop and improve . We may even find that a complete transition to electric may not be practical 🤷, nothing is cast in stone , but a workable system will emerge. The future is now.

The future is the future. And EVs aren't ready for prime time. And neither is the grid. It all sounds good, but we won't power even 50% of all vehicles with fairy dust or unicorn piss, much less 100%. Yes technology will continue to improve, but it has a long way to go. Just MHO.......

The advantage with electric cars (as well as other electric replacements for combustible gas engines) is in the savings of fossil fuels during the device's service life. It is actually the case that it takes somewhat more fossil fuels to create these electric devices vs. a similar gas machine, but once in service they run laps around the gas counterparts in terms of "green/less fossil fuel usage". The biggest limiter here is of course the battery storage itself, when they crack that code electric EVERYTHING that you are used to pouring gas into will be the norm.

So YES, it is "greener" (less fossil fuels used) from device conception to end of service life to use electrics, at least where they are "up to par" and get the job done, and as technology (especially on the battery end) improves it will increasingly become the "phased in" norm.

I think of all this like vacuum tubes: Sure, people even today use them, but they are not the norm, and neither will pouring flammable liquids in a tank be for most people. I have a gasoline powered John Deere Signature Series tractor that I have no plans or worry to change. Someday, they will make that in a battery version but will still be some time away from now, and I'm not worried wither way on that front either. It will happen when that tech "happens" in a way that works for that level of work, and a future generation will buy it, while I run the yet 20-year remaining service life on my existing machine.

All that said I still see MOST of the "mowing world" being a little short of "ready for prime time" on the rechargeable front, particularly for anything beyond a small city 1/4 acre type patch. If it needs a tractor it needs a gas one, I still think the early electric versions you see now are "prototypes" by and large which we are still learning how to make the most of these. EV walk mowers and such are great for small properties but once we start talking tractor need (too much to walk) then we're still in "best use gas" territory. 

BUT - I think we're only "one leap/step away" on the battery front, one more reasonable step forward will have a LOT in play re: electric that's just not quite "ready for prime time" now. I think to consider the type of torque that an electric John Deere Signature Series could muster and realize that once the battery is up to snuff that such a machine might charge through all manner of jobs, as electric motors can really bring the torque. When this next leap in battery and motor efficiency does occur, then the EV "revolution" will really be "on" because no matter how much certain types state that the "green is BS" it's not only the opposite, but the best economically viable way to do this as we move forward in time. Poured gas will fall like an avalanche in terms of thinking because it will make all the sense in the world to change. So much of where we have been is "trial", it's really close to becoming "the way we do things". If it's "clean", it makes economic sense, especially if over time and scale it ends up costing less.

I'll buy an electric car when Toyota builds one and a tractor when John Deere builds one that works like the 700 series do now. I expect I will see these in my lifetime (assuming I make the average, another 20 years or so) but probably won't need to replace the Deere but could if I wanted to.

I disagree with Shakeydeal in the general sense that the future really is closer than you think. Yes, still not quite ready for primetime but we are getting close. Much like that Upwork guy keeps getting closer to his grave.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll admit to being old school, dragged kicking and screaming into the future. But I like my motorcycles and cars to make noise. I like feeling connected to the machine. As good and as fast as EVs are, I don't think you'll get their proponents to admit they have the soul of a classic muscle car or a loud as hell gas powered bike. To me an EV is like an appliance. Yes it does what it's supposed to do and wraps you in comfort, but it might as well be a microwave oven to me.

Sorry for dragging this thread off course. Back to electric riding lawn mowers......

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Ok, I'll admit to being old school, dragged kicking and screaming into the future. But I like my motorcycles and cars to make noise. I like feeling connected to the machine. As good and as fast as EVs are, I don't think you'll get their proponents to admit they have the soul of a classic muscle car or a loud as hell gas powered bike. To me an EV is like an appliance. Yes it does what it's supposed to do and wraps you in comfort, but it might as well be a microwave oven to me.

Sorry for dragging this thread off course. Back to electric riding lawn mowers......

Yes , I agree , traditional car enthusiasts may not be impressed 🤓