vintage Audio

43 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Funny thing is: back in the 1970s we considered that stuff "mid-fi". How times change.

I have an H/K 430 and a 730... which I think are nice, but not necessarily hi-fi.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Missing mine

Do not have to be hi-fi to be pleasing

True. I just find amusing the reverence for the 1970s gear that has developed on some of the audio forums. (Not necessarily this one -- I haven't really paid attention, other than to chuckle a bit when I see it.)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 3:13 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

I have such great luck with 1970s Pioneer, Sansui, Nikko 

Friends have newer stuff (2000: era) that overheats and craps out when pushed

Hate them Chip Amps. 🙄

I'm still enjoying my 70's vintage Pioneer receivers.

I feel that the newer receivers didn't account for heat dissipation at the higher volumes.  Maybe due to the accountants having leverage?

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 8:18 AM, Southern said:

I'm still enjoying my 70's vintage Pioneer receivers.

I feel that the newer receivers didn't account for heat dissipation at the higher volumes.  Maybe due to the accountants having leverage?

I just acquired a mint SX-780 for my office mini-system. Partly because I have never owned a receiver, and partly because the Pioneer stuff of that era is  beautiful audio jewelry from an age that I really love. At the time I was digging Dynaco tube amps and PAS preamps and that sort of stuff and poo-pooed anyone buying a stinking reciever. Such a snob was I.

I also bought a SA-9100 integrated and I am doing a full restore on it. Here's my epiphany about Pioneer gear of that era: Damn, it was well made, and I think very robust. The sound is just typical of SS gear of the time, and with my Klipsch RPM bookshelfs 1Watt is about all I ever use - - maybe 2 on a Sunday afternoon. I love the knobs, and the tuner works as well as any for my area with 3 FM stations.

It's a bit like owning a '70 Imperial. (Which I would also do If I had a three car garage).

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I just acquired a mint SX-780 for my office mini-system. Partly because I have never owned a receiver, and partly because the Pioneer stuff of that era is  beautiful audio jewelry from an age that I really love. At the time I was digging Dynaco tube amps and PAS preamps and that sort of stuff and poo-pooed anyone buying a stinking reciever. Such a snob was I.

I also bought a SA-9100 integrated and I am doing a full restore on it. Here's my epiphany about Pioneer gear of that era: Damn, it was well made, and I think very robust. The sound is just typical of SS gear of the time, and with my Klipsch RPM bookshelfs 1Watt is about all I ever use - - maybe 2 on a Sunday afternoon. I love the knobs, and the tuner works as well as any for my area with 3 FM stations.

It's a bit like owning a '70 Imperial. (Which I would also do If I had a three car garage).

I'm still enjoying my Dynaco tube amp and PAS preamp along with my SX-1980.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...