167,000 Speakers in One Venue!

thebes

Sounds a bit like overkill but that's what they claim they have installed in some new attraction in Vegas called the Sphere.

For you guys unlike me who can't count past 21 without dropping my pants, the website cites various science stuff which they used in creating the sound. Maybe you can understand it, but it's gibberish to me.

They are:  The Helmholtz Equation, The Kirchoff-Helmholtz Integral, the Kirchoff Integral Equation and the Wave Equation. I, of course, have no idea if these are actual science thingies used in creating sound.

Still, if I'm ever in Vegas I'd probably check it out.  Maybe sneak into the control room and turn up the volume.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here's a link to the "Science" behind the sphere, no mention anywhere, though, on what kind of speakers they used so I'm guessing something equivalent to smartphone speakers. If they used regular speakers can you imagine the size of the crossover?

Hopefully some of our smarter speaker guys will be able to translate the science behind this into something I can grasp. or gasp. ("Ok, Thebes, first there's these tiny wires they wind around...")

https://www.thespherevegas.com/science

• Like 1

This one gives a nice visual of the capabilities of the screen.  I skipped around in the video because I can't take U2 for more than a little bit, and Bono's singing has not gotten better with age... he's not quite as bad as Axel Rose yet, but he's on his way!

• Like 2

this is a walk thru video with audio... frankly, if you take the time to listen in it's entirety the consistency and coverage of the sound, as this person walks thru the venue, is quite impressive.

When CES comes to town, the sphere is going to be PACKED.

At 2 billion dollars, it better sound good!

18 hours ago, Schu said:

this is a walk thru video with audio... frankly, if you take the time to listen in it's entirety the consistency and coverage of the sound, as this person walks thru the venue, is quite impressive.

When CES comes to town, the sphere is going to be PACKED.

At 2 billion dollars, it better sound good!

Too much nose bleed for me. 15 feet is my limit.

JJK