Deja Vu

NOSValves

It was right around 24 years ago I was recovering from a neck operation and was dealing with issues with a set of Klipsch Computer speakers.... I wandered into this forum looking for support for those and stumbled into this 2 channel section......guys were in here "Mobile Homeless" and "Allan Songer" being a few of the most vocal talking about Klipsch and Tubes, which quickly peaked my interest since I learned basic tube electronics from helping my father work om WWW II ham radio gear, he refurbished, used and sold as a sideline from his normal home appliance business which I also worked with him on in my youth. 

So "Mobile Homeless" was keen on the lowly low quality parts EICO HF-81, "Allan Songer" was a fan of the HH Scott line of vintage amps for a decent build quality and awesome phono section. My father told me EICO brand test equipment was garbage...I quickly gravitated toward the better built and handsome looking Scott line of amplifiers.  So, on eBay I bought a pristine condition 222C that the moron eBayer packed improperly so the face plate ended bent over in shipping. I forced him into a deep discount and kept it. Which led me to decide to see just what I could do to improve it. In steps "Mark Deeneen" of Juicy Music Audio and famed Paragon preamplifier of the 1970's which none of knew that was who he was at the time. He takes me under his magical electronics wing! Teaches me most of what I know about tube audio! All the while "Mobile Homeless" obviously feels threatened a resident "tube guy" of the forum!  Those 2 proceed to fight for my musical sole LOL!!! Man were those days a riot around here... All the while folks were watching as a reported what I was doing to the 222C... I started getting asked "would you do one for me". I did a few for the part and shipping cost no labor or profit. It mushroomed out my control! I was released back to work (home improvement contractor) and still did the refurbing for profit as a part time thing for about a year! Then I had a recurring neck problem and was told by the Neurosurgeon that I needed to stop working over my head or with any vibrating power tools. I talked with my wife and decided to take the leap and turn my new hobby business into my new full-time business! Man did that work out great! 

So fast forward 24 years I have become forced into semi-retirement from what seems like never ending nagging health issues to the point I have not taken in new work in 4 years! At 62 I was approved for Federal SS disability in 7 weeks without even seeing a doctor because my health records were that bad in 2021... including lung issue from smoking for years but had quit and sucking solder fumes for 20+ years. Here I am recovering from Total Knee replacement surgery my nagging health issues have stabilized from good health care providers! I design a ventilation system for my shop and I'm back here offering my services starting two months from now. Isn't it strange how things come full circle in life sometimes! 

Cheers Craig

www.nosvalves.com 

PS forgot one detail I damn near died at home with COVID in 2020 of course it found my weak spot those lungs! But I'm a stubborn Bxxxxxxx In 2016 it was the Flu that almost got me...7 days in the hospital... 

• Like 17

I was never out of business to previous customers of vintage amps I restored or products I built. My response and turnaround time was getting pretty extreme though. In fact, I have a few projects on hand I still have to do...all for previous customers and they have been here a long time. 

Tiger,

Well glad you dropped in. Good to see some of the old crew! There are a few that have dropped in! It's great. Funny thing is those first two I mentioned here it is 23 years after landing here I still converse with both Allan Singer and Kelly Holstein. Both great guys from a way different perspective. But we still have immense respect for each other. Some bonds in life can't be broke! 

Cheers Craig

• Like 1

Hey Craig,

I sorry to hear about your health issues, glad to hear you are better!!! It's been a long time since we talked audio or Baseball, I hope we can catch up some one day soon.

I been having few little issues myself going through life as I am about to turn 66. I just keep on moving forward till the next thing pops up...

I guess I am kinda like weeds hard to kill LOL!!! Take care of yourself my friend....

Jay

Jay,

How ya doing? Yeah well Baseball has been a sour subject in Michigan for a while. Hopefully now that they have Miggy off the books things will change some. I have been following Ex tigers more than the tigers. JV & Max with JV being my favorite. Yeah this getting old crap sucks. You know your getting old when they start replacing parts. My first was the Knee last week. Honestly in all other respects I have been doing darn good these days. My knee is now doing real good muscles are sore but good, Just got home from my first PT so I should be sore. 

Cheers old friend! Craig

On 11/26/2023 at 7:04 AM, NOSValves said:

It was right around 24 years ago...  "Mark Deeneen" of Juicy Music Audio and famed Paragon preamplifier of the 1970's which none of knew that was who he was at the time. He takes me under his magical electronics wing! Teaches me most of what I know about tube audio!

Cheers Craig

www.nosvalves.com 

it's funny... MD has been poking around lately also.

Let's pay homage.

51500568405_87f6db2ea8_h.jpg

32739390413_0002e1c123_h.jpg

32739394713_85a8c8c7e0_h.jpg

32739387473_8b2a9cc63c_h.jpg

29184052897_7fecb46606_h.jpg

29183849587_3d5f7fc4cc_h.jpg

41584426492_b605626eee_h.jpg

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Craig,

Good to here you are on the mend.

Schu, those are great pics of the NBS and VRDs.  I still have mine.

I still have my HH Scott LK-72 as well.

Hey Mark good to have you drop by to say howdy. Been a longtime. Good to hear you still have the NOS Valves stuff in house! 

Had to look at the thread dates to make sure someone didn't revive an old thread of Craig's.  :)

Glad you stopped by to give us an update on you goin ons!!!

The PointToPoint modified ST70 you did for me is still performing quite well.

Take care, my friend and don't be a stranger.

Thanks

JJ

Jay,

Good to touch base with you... The way my Tigers have performed for way too long again. I have not been vesting my time in watching them much... I've been following the players that they lost! JV and Max... So this last ALCS I was cheering for both.... But my heart has always favored JV! But Max is a bull for sure! Take it easy brother! 

Cheers Cra.

JJ,

Glad to hear the ST70 is serving you. My main criteria when design mods and new product is sound quality and longevity! Evedently the longevity was spot on because I rarely hear from any of the thousands of customers with both vintage new products.... Tell you truth I find it surprising!

Take care my old friend

Craig