Forte IV's on the Way

jjptkd

Out of the box they sound very similar to the 362's- After listening for a bit they are more detailed, refined. Bass is lower but not as impactful but they only have a few hours on them. Certain "bassy" songs really came through though and reminded me of my Chorus II cabinets with the enveloping bass growl / rumble. I suspect the differences I'm hearing is probably very similar to what the forte III people experience installing the forte IV kit, or at least I imagine it so. No doubt the forte IV's are very nice sounding speakers but to me, at least so far the 362's aren't that far behind.

12 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I tried posting a couple and they wouldn't upload, I'll try again here.

Are you using the tube amp and fan to help heat your house? 😅

The Forte was one of the few pair of speakers that I could make the speakers disappear and produce a soundstage. It took a little moving them this way and that, but they vanished, even with my eyes open.  

It's the perfect time of year for staying in, too. Again, congrats.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 3:26 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I'm sure they will fill in with more hours. My old CW IVs improved quite a bit with break in.

Been listening to these things as much as possible and they are breaking in quite nicely. I can say the Chief hit this one out of the park they are filling out to a much bigger and deeper sound and bass is getting crazy good. The slight brightness has gone away- very smooth and detailed and did I mention the bass? I'm not sure I'd have this much improvement in the bass with an added subwoofer they will knock things down in my room. The bass reminds me a lot of the Chorus II bass but tighter and cleaner while still having that enveloping sensation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OO1 said:

too bad , that the Forte series does not have a 15 inch woofer option , call it a Forte IV Plus or X , but please , give us a bigger woofer 

That’s what the Cornwall is for.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

too bad , that the Forte series does not have a 15 inch woofer option , call it a Forte IV Plus or X , but please , give us a bigger woofer 

I know I've wanted to see (along with many others) a new Chorus model for a long time now but these new forte's seem to combine the best attributes of the older Chorus / forte line. To me, the forte II was a little dark with recessed mids, bass was lower and more present at lower volume but a little boomy as compared to the Chorus II. These new forte's have a very balanced sound top to bottom, very smooth with lots of very tight bass. I think the Chief did these guys right, about the only thing that could be gained by a larger 15" version would be higher output? Maybe a little larger voicing with the bigger mid horn and woofer? I believe the forte IV does this line justice the Chief really did do a fantastic job with these. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Been listening to these things as much as possible and they are breaking in quite nicely. I can say the Chief hit this one out of the park they are filling out to a much bigger and deeper sound and bass is getting crazy good. The slight brightness has gone away- very smooth and detailed and did I mention the bass? I'm not sure I'd have this much improvement in the bass with an added subwoofer they will knock things down in my room. The bass reminds me a lot of the Chorus II bass but tighter and cleaner while still having that enveloping sensation. 

But, but…..speakers don’t break in…..

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, OO1 said:

Would you run out and buy a pair?

• Haha 4

On 1/18/2024 at 5:31 PM, jjptkd said:

Well a deal came up I couldn't pass up on a brand new pair they shipped out today. I've wanted a pair since they were introduced but waited patiently for the right deal. Should be interesting to compare them to the new 362's and others I have sitting around.  

s-l960f4.jpg

Congratulations! Those look exactly like my Forte IIIs and I have the upgrade kits on my radar. I'm glad to hear you like the sound so much.

I don't have the ideal set up in my listening space and I still want to do a little tinkering with placement, but I'm still thrilled with mine.

• Like 1