Question about speakercables

39 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

You must be new here. There used to be great arguments about this. We're talking threads locked and members banned type of squabbles. 

New? Not really but not an old timer either.

• Haha 2

How much of the 10 ya got?  Duh PM the man, man.

I had some to LF cabinets but it clouded up and got ugly, now only use it in utility room for the first 20' or so where it cannot be seen. Splice down to the 12ga in room. It does not seem to cloud up.

• Like 2

Think I got a 50 ' section and split it. Let me get back with you. On the phone but have a tape and will stretch them out!

* Nope it's thirty feet cut in half>

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 1:57 AM, Flevoman said:

Probably this question will yield answers that are diametrically opposed. But I still hope it can lead me to a choice.😇

My situation is as follows.
My AL5 speakers were set up against the long wall in the width direction. My audio set neatly positioned between the speakers and connected with speaker cables (Audioquest 5).
For several reasons (including an acoustic issue), I have now set up my speakers lengthwise as a test.
This resulted in some very positive improvements to the sound. Therefore, I am strongly considering leaving this setup like this, but it will require a drastic investment, such as purchasing different furniture and speaker cables. Because to make this work, I can no longer place my audio set between the speakers and am forced to leave it in the old position, requiring speaker cables of 8m length now.

My problem is that I have no idea if increasing from 3m length to 8m length will result in audible quality loss.
The only way to test this is to try it myself, but it will be a quite expensive test since I cannot return the cables if it turns out to be disappointing.

What is your experience, does 8m length cause a loss in the audio signal?
And if this shouldn't be a problem, what values should I consider when choosing the cable? For example, is 2.1mm per conductor sufficient?

I do think 2.1mm (12 American Wire Gauge) wire will be enough. 

What amps and preamp are you using?  Some people once thought long, especially balanced (3 wire microphone cables) and short speaker wires were the ultimate.  Can you put your power amps on or behind your La Scala's and run long cables to them? 

I use 3 pair twisted, then braided CAT 5e cables for speaker wire.  They amount to about 2.3mm (10.5 AWG) wire.  The insulation and all that braiding results in a low resistance, capacitance and inductance speaker cable.  They are about 5 meters long.  I could not hear a difference between old 12 AWG Monster cable and my homemade wires.  But they look good! 

20200812_191836.thumb.jpg.8f12c6663efe1a7135852c80f9bbdd2f.jpg

I also failed a double-blind test at Klipsch HQ in Indy with similar cables many years ago.  Klipsch said their braided CAT 5 was -3 dB at 300 kHz! 

My bottom line is that when the resistance is low enough and inductance and capacitance are not significant, you have a good speaker cable.  Buy a large diameter stranded wire and don't worry. 

• Like 4

On 2/13/2024 at 1:28 PM, Flevoman said:

Thank you for the responses. I'll follow the advice and purchase an affordable cable to test if there's any noticeable difference with this length. From what I gather from the comments, the chances are very slim that this will result in any noticeable loss in quality.

Also consider that even if changing the wire impacts speaker performance, the improvements to sound from better room acoustics may be much greater than any losses from longer wire. I have often read that the listening environment is the most overlooked place where people can improve their system. If changing the orientation of your speakers creates an immediate, noticeable improvement, I would bet that the benefits will outweigh any deterioration due to cable length.

Good Luck!

Edited by Natertots
edited for clarity
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 6:57 PM, Natertots said:

Also consider that even if changing the wire impacts speaker performance, the improvements to sound from better room acoustics may be much greater than any losses from longer wire. I have often read that the listening environment is the most overlooked place where people can improve their system. If changing the orientation of your speakers creates an immediate, noticeable improvement, I would bet that the benefits will outweigh any deterioration due to cable length.

Good Luck!

As a newbie to Klipsch…I do have experience with building our home theater room and acoustic panels and floor covering makes a noticeable difference.  Simply said…acoustics are acoustics.  Well said Natertots

• Like 3

Speaker cables can make a big difference. Try Belden 9497 (cheap) then try some upmarket Nordost, for example: if you hear no difference, it's time to sell your system and purchase some bluetooth speaker. 

I've owned QED, Naim, Nordost, Belden, Duelund, Leedh, and various no-name cables from department stores. They ALL sound different. That's not to say you cannot be happy with lamp cord; of course you can. But to claim all cables sound the same is pure ignorance. Or you didn't try the right cables, or your ears are shot from listening  to AC/DC at 110dB+ for half of your life. That's it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Rolox said:

Speaker cables can make a big difference. Try Belden 9497 (cheap) then try some upmarket Nordost, for example: if you hear no difference, it's time to sell your system and purchase some bluetooth speaker. 

That’s true, if you are able to hear and pick the difference in a controlled, blind test. 

PWK, Heyser, Toole all agree that measurements don’t tell you everything, but on evaluation of audio, sighted tests don’t tell you anything.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/14/2024 at 2:42 PM, wuzzzer said:

The human brain is an amazing thing.  If you spend enough money on something that's supposed to make something sound better, it will.

Well that’s what the science says, probably at least 100 AES articles on it under the psychoacoustics section. 

• Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 5:22 PM, babadono said:

^is that speaker wire? or coax?

Actually just kidding around, but also making a point about speaker wire. I’ve never been able to detect the slightest difference in sound quality by swapping  speaker wires , in fact I’ve even got a few  splices and other  wiring anomalies in my setup . My system has changed many times through the years and changing wires has never been a priority for me ,Im not worried about splicing a speaker wire if needed , some  may cringe, but I’ve never been able to detect negative consequences , and believe me I listen for them . Some people may hear a difference with wires and I won’t judge them , maybe they can hear something that I can’t. But I am  kind of suspicious to their findings 🤓

• Like 3

On 3/1/2024 at 6:30 PM, Travis In Austin said:

The human brain is an amazing thing.  If you spend enough money on something that's supposed to make something sound better, it will.

Empty wallet bias:D

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, babadono said:

AT Rf and uwave freq. wiring splicing may cause anomalies. At AF? I can't hear it.👂

Agree, Every speaker connection is a splice  of sorts . 🤓

On 2/15/2024 at 1:25 AM, JohnA said:

I do think 2.1mm (12 American Wire Gauge) wire will be enough. 

What amps and preamp are you using?  Some people once thought long, especially balanced (3 wire microphone cables) and short speaker wires were the ultimate.  Can you put your power amps on or behind your La Scala's and run long cables to them? 

I use 3 pair twisted, then braided CAT 5e cables for speaker wire.  They amount to about 2.3mm (10.5 AWG) wire.  The insulation and all that braiding results in a low resistance, capacitance and inductance speaker cable.  They are about 5 meters long.  I could not hear a difference between old 12 AWG Monster cable and my homemade wires.  But they look good! 

20200812_191836.thumb.jpg.8f12c6663efe1a7135852c80f9bbdd2f.jpg

I also failed a double-blind test at Klipsch HQ in Indy with similar cables many years ago.  Klipsch said their braided CAT 5 was -3 dB at 300 kHz! 

My bottom line is that when the resistance is low enough and inductance and capacitance are not significant, you have a good speaker cable.  Buy a large diameter stranded wire and don't worry. 

I can not hear 300kHz. ,. ,🙄

I am old, must be my hearing

Ixam happy with 12000 HZ

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen people connecting the upper binding post to the lower binding posts on Heresy speakers. Is there any reason to do this? Does it improve sound quality? I can understand two separate sets for bi-amping, but one cable connecting the upper and lower and plugging one amp in confused me.

26 minutes ago, Abomb said:

I've seen people connecting the upper binding post to the lower binding posts on Heresy speakers. Is there any reason to do this? Does it improve sound quality? I can understand two separate sets for bi-amping, but one cable connecting the upper and lower and plugging one amp in confused me.

Is this somehow a better connection than the metal connecting plates that the speakers come with?