Your first experience

1 hour ago, Abomb said:

What was the first piece of music that you played on your first set of Klipsch speakers, and which model were they? Can you describe what the experience was like?

Any suggestions for what I should play on mine when they show up? Two Heresy IV's in Black Ash showing up by 7PM today. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Congrats. What music do you like? 

I listen to everything. As a drummer you kind of have to. I am thinking that maybe Gary Moore "Dunluce part 2" would be a great way to check out their range. After that maybe some Take 5. I really like anything progressive. Complexity is always fun to both listen and play.

• Like 1

My first Klipsch experience that wowed me was listening to Frankenstein by Edgar Winter Group on a friends Cornwall's at around 115db.  That got me hooked, from there I purchased Klipsch Heresy Is and the first album I can recall listening to was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon.  That being said, I would recommend that. 

• Like 5

Heresy in 1985. An Army friend bought them in the PX so they were (I cheated here) not mine. He played the Twisted Sister concert from the aircraft hanger in San Bernardino, on a Laserdisc player. We all felt like we were at the concert, pretty awesome from such a small speaker. We all had bigger speakers in our Quonset Huts, but they didn't sound nearly as good.

• Like 2

Always amazed me how Klipsch could reproduce that "sound signature" all nuances included not only when given some wattage to work with but when turned down low also.

First heard a pair of K-Horns from the Boston Garden's old system back in the late 70s one at each end of a small place with a low wattage (20wpc) receiver.

DSOTM!

The dynamics of any great old Floyd LP works, acoustic Heart with Ann & Nancy in their mid 70s prime!

Got any David Sanborn with him on an alto? Or Jeff Beck's "There & Back" from front to back like the Floyd.

Steely Dan's Aja was what the good stereo stores kept a copy of to demo on their $$$ equipment back then. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Okay...they have arrived and they are set up. The first listen in order. Gary Moore "Dunluce Part 2" Rush "A Farewell to Kings" Rush "Xanadu"...both on Vinyl and then Andres Segovia playing some  Ludovico Roncalli. Sounded effing AWESOME!!! I can't wait until they are fully broken in. In any case keep this chain going. It's interesting to hear about everyone's first Klipsch experience.

Edited by Abomb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don & Kathy's House of Music, Saint Louis, MO, around 1977. Klipschorns. Fleetwood Mac, "The Chain".

The kick drum in the opening gut-punched me like I'd never experienced before. Later, during the bass riff toward the end, I could almost see the bass notes rippling through the room.

Very impressive to an 18-year-old (at the time).

• Like 3

For now a Dayton Audio HTA200 with a Schiit Mani 2 preamp. Does not sound bad at all. The Mani 2 makes all of the difference. I definitely see a Denon or a Yamaha in my future. It's all up to how both the amp and the speakers sound after they both break in.

• Like 1

1986.  I had a high school buddy who's Dad had Khorns driven by Rotel Amps.  The room was about 25'x60' (huge).  The music was the Moody Blues.  I was already into audio, but knew that night that I would own a pair one day!  Then, I was age 16.  At age 53, I finally had the place for them.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RobMarshall said:

Congrats! 

Thanks! Oh I guess that I should mention. My first Klipsch experience was around 1980. My Father's new Heresy's. The first thing that I heard was The Victory at Sea soundtrack. I really felt like I was in The Navy during WW2. I was sold. I knew one day I would have to buy something from Klipsch. 

• Like 2

My first experience with Klipsch was a long, long time before I owned a pair. I was in a store called Audio Labs in Des Moines, Iowa, probably about 1972. I spent enough time there that I had gotten to know a couple of the sales people fairly well. When I walked in one day, one of the guys grabbed me immediately and dragged me into the large room where they had a pair of K-horns powered with bi-amped Audio Research 100 wpc tube amps. He sat me in the sweet spot and fired up Karn Evil 9 by ELO. It was mind blowing! It took me 50 years to buy my own...not K-horns, but I'm happy.

• Like 3

First Klipsch experience at a friend’s house on a pair of Heresy’s up high on a bookshelf in a sunken den circa 1980, Sammy Hagar Heavy Metal

and Foreigner Juke Box Hero

Still gives me chills, especially on my AL5s.

But these heavy guitar bands are best heard cranked up and off axis, lol!!!

• Like 1