LsScala port mod

Is there any reason why you can't just use an equalizer to smooth out the LaScala's response curve?

I know there are ahem, "purists" out there that poo poo tone controls and such but I say use 'em

if you got 'em and no one will be the wiser.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

A few examples are in my sig line.

99.9% of LaScala owners will never change their old speakers, so the port mod is for the 0.1% who might. He came up with the PPSL using four 8" woofers in place of the one 15" too. That is for the 0.001% to try.  

Hey, I’ve tried that.

IMG_2577.png.b55bfcab4757e4427dc20b923fbdd529.png

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

How do the 8” woofers sound compared to the 15”. I meant to ask this when I first saw you did this. Thanks in advance. 

They sounded very good but the drivers I used wouldn’t play as low as the K-33 or unfortunately quite as high so they had a little trouble getting to 400Hz.

they were flatter through the middle of the woofers normal range however and had a very nice quick attack.

The original woofers that Dennis used are now unobtanium and I haven’t been able to find T/S parameters to exactly compare.

Making my plenum angled and adding some wedges to reduce the internal volume would probably help with the high end.

There were some other woofers that might work better that are still available, but at a higher cost compared to the budget drivers I used.

In the end I swapped my K-33 back in and I’ll probably go eventually to a K-43 or an Eminence Kappa 15C.

I do think there is merit to the PPSL function and I’d like to build a pair of Dennis’s dual 15” PPSL subs to go underneath my KP-250s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

Is there any reason why you can't just use an equalizer to smooth out the LaScala's response curve?

I know there are ahem, "purists" out there that poo poo tone controls and such but I say use 'em

Yes and no.

Standard two-way tone controls aren’t going to be able to give you the precision that’s needed to flatten out the response. 

The Chief has previously shared some parametric EQ settings designed to knock down the response peak at 148Hz which help to clean up the low end sound a lot.

I would imagine the latest LS has some of that baked into the active crossover box.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Why port the lascala?  Klipsch will soon be selling the ported subs with the DSP and amp included. 

Not everyone has 10g's to throw at filling in the bottom end of their speakers and some that do might not have the needed real estate to accommodate a sub larger than their LS. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KT88 said:

…Even if it is true that the 140 Hz peak should be smoothed out. But I would not saw a very recent AL5 into parts, only an old LaScala.

But why would you need to saw the La Scala in half? You just need to remove the bottom and then place that base with bass ports on the bottom, right? As I understand it, this is a mod that can easily be reversed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flevoman said:

But why would you need to saw the La Scala in half? You just need to remove the bottom and then place that base with bass ports on the bottom, right? As I understand it, this is a mod that can easily be reversed.

Yes, you are right. 

11 hours ago, Peter P. said:

This is what I have been doing for years.  EQ the speaker to the room.  Works fine.  But I will get one of Klipsch's new ported subs.  That will be a major breakthrough.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Flevoman said:

10 hours ago, KT88 said:

Yes, you are right. 

Just like this on my La Scala’s 

Note that the crossovers have been updated since this photo was taken 

If interested in the massive undertaking to build this crossover go to the thread on the link 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149952-a-crossover-design-on-single-exposed-board/

post-112724-0-12738200-1404975110.jpg

• Like 3