Best DVD Concerts

arthurs

I am a bit surprised that anyone put Rush in Rio on their list. I couldn't wait to get this DVD playing only to find it has got to be one, if not THE worst sounding DVD I own.

The show looked incredible, too bad the sound is so screwed up.

I hope if they do another...they take some pride in the mix.

Later

Mike

MikeKid,

Thats to bad, I as a true RUSH Fan I have been waiting for this disk(hell even vcr tape)of RUSH live for "years". I must admit as a Canadian they looked better at the SARS Concert in TO..HA, OK slight joke here, but I totally disagree with you(and the mix you think)but the sound on this dvd is awesome to say the least10.gif

They took their time setting up this dvd, how long has RUSH been around, as for the mixing, for a 3 man band, sounds nothing short of what a "live" recording should be, but then again, I listen to vynil IMO....

remember KISS and "ALIVE"(first one), not so alive! 10.gif

Then again, Pioneer Elite is not so Elite anymore, and yes I owned Pioneer Elite when it was actually "Elite"(VSX-D1S), sure gave SonyES a true run for there money back then, ALL "late 80's/early 90's"

YUP!

Hi boomer. I am glad you liked it. I am a huge Rush fan too. Well, maybe it is just that this DVD doesn't work well on my setup and is fine on some others. Though Rush did mention of some technical issues and were unable to perform a sound check prior to the concert. I really do know what "live" sounds like. I have been to a concert or two...3.gif

It's too bad that Geddy Lee sounds like he's singing from a mile away. It didn't HAVE to be like that.

I am glad I have the DVD just the same though... after all, it's RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(With Geddy Lee singing a mile away.... 2.gif )

Take care

Mike

----------------

On 5/25/2003 4:45:08 PM arthurs wrote:

How about opinions on the best concert DVD's based on quality of sound and video on the disc?

----------------

1. The Eagles "Hell Freeze Over" in my opinion is simply the best made DVD concert. Funny thing, I was not much of an Eagles fan before 1.gif extremely well done!

2. Eric Clapton "One More Car One More Rider"

3. Norah Jones " Live In New Orleans"

4. Roy Orbison "Black & White"

5. James Taylor "pull Over"

Here are two I HIGHLY recommend

1. Josh Groban " In Concert" I know,not everybody's cup of tea but, this kid really has a set of pipes. The video and audio is amazing. If you like to feel your music give this one a try you will not be disappointed.

2. "Motown Standing In The Shadows" Good movie alot of history, great song selections & performances (you can rent this one at most video stores)

Although I have many concert dvd's and laserdisc the one I got for christmas is just outstanding. Peter Gabriel's Growing Up Live. The video is excellent and the DTS sound is just awesome. I was quite surprised how good the surround mix is. generally your rears are reserved for crowd noise. However, on this disc they actually used the rears for discreet sound. Vere impressive sound quality. 2 thumbs up 5 stars.

Scooter

----------------

On 12/24/2003 11:32:32 PM captain wrote:

----------------

On 5/25/2003 4:45:08 PM arthurs wrote:

How about opinions on the best concert DVD's based on quality of sound and video on the disc?

----------------

1. The Eagles "Hell Freeze Over" in my opinion is simply the best made DVD concert. Funny thing, I was not much of an Eagles fan before
1.gif
extremely well done!...

----------------

Just got this one for Christmas, told the wife I'd like it and surprise surprise it arrived this morning. Had listened to it from a friend a about a year ago on my RF3s and now with the RF7s...whoa very clean sounding.

I was at first concerned since the package said PCM and no mention of DTS with the exception of a notice on the back saying one track could only be heard using DTS...but when I put her in, and let the disk come up normally it asks you which format do you want to hear it in...whew! because I knew I had seen some disk saying DTS and others only saying PCM.

G2

Here's a second recommendation for the John Mayer DVD.

If you like blues, pick this up. He shows some of his promise in City Love and Covered in Rain. This kid is 26 years old, and he's only going to get better. I, along with most Mayer fans, think he's just itching to get rid of the pop stigma and play to his true love: the blues. His heros are Buddy Guy, SRV, etc.

I firmly believe that in 10 years, we'll be ranking him with Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, etc.

-Jesse

I got the Rush In Rio DVD from a preowned DVD store, and being a Huge Rush fan didnt care that it wasn't in DTS. The performance is amazing, but I agree with others that the sound could have been better. It plays loud and all, but the quality isn't there. I just suppose I expected more from such a huge production released DVD.

Eagles Hell Freezes over still cannot be beat by anything I have heard yet.

I hope to god that Pink Floyd releases DVD versions of Delicate Sounds of Thunder, Pulse, and The Wall in DTS one of these years......I have worn out my Delicate Sounds of Thunder on VHS to the point it is unplayable.

Bob

Here's a recommendation That has to be one of the best made DVD avaiable.

Josh Groban in concert may not be everyone's cup of tea, however if you really would like to show off your system... give this one a chance. Play 'Vincent' (Starry, Starry Night); the best recorded bass I have every heard. Things will move... smooth