Best yard sale scores -Audio & Otherwise ?

lynnm

I am starting a new thread rather than hijack fini's thread :

June 14 2003 was the date of my most successful Yard Sale foray ever :

4 decent CD's 8.00

4 Beer Kits 5.00

Pachin ko Game and Huge Glass Vase 50.00

< Auto censor thought I was dissing my Chinese friends[bR>so I had to misspell Pa*****o ]

New Fridge Dolly 15.00

1984 Class C 25' motorhome - one owner - nicely equipped

roof air, microwave,satellite dish and rcvr. Exceptionally

nice inside and better than average exterior. 6000.00

All in all a Good Day's piracy 9.gif

Space Cowboy

Beer Kit refers to the basic ingredient which is the malted grain which is canned and the brewer's yeast . Dextrose and water are added to these ingredients to make the beer.

The kits I picked up are worth approximately C$60.00 at retail.

Collins Ham Radio equipment $350, sold it after cleaning for almost $3000

Gear Vendors overdrive for my brother $200 worth $2000

6" powermatic jointer/planer $100

Various other tools for next to nothing, but nothing audio related.

----------------

On 6/15/2003 6:41:46 AM lynnm wrote:

I am starting a new thread rather than hijack fini's thread :

A couple years ago, coming by a back way through New Hampshire and Vermont, we found a small flea market. A guy had a Nikko rack mount tuner, pre-amp and power amp sitting on the tail gate. My friend JR thought this was junk especially when the owner said someone had brought it back because the amp wouldn't work. He wanted $10. I had about $6 in my pocket and we brought it home. Turns out the power amp needed a new plug. I later traded this & a little cash for my Cornwalls.

Other deals were a $45 Marantz scope tuner from a second hand store, a $35 Crown 0C 150 switching unit with original box, manual and test sheet from a pawn shop, a Goodman biaxial Axiom 80 raw speaker from a yard sale for $3. I've turned these on around on ebay since with some very good results.

Half the fun is in the looking. With the new HT systems, a lot of people are ditching the classic hardware so it's a good opportunity for those in the know. Take care. Hamish

Do Flea Markets count?

Here are the two best for me and both happened at the Marin Flea Market in the early 1980's:

1. Original Henry Miller watercolor for $25--owner had NO idea what he was selling. I sold this a few months later for $1500 and I'm sure it's worth a lot more today.

2. Early 19th Century Kazak rug in very good condition. I knew the rug was old and Caucasian, so I bought it after some haggling for $500. I took it to a rug dealer in Oakland and asked him what he thought of the rug. He asked if I wanted to sell it and I told him to make me an offer. When he offered me $3500 I knew I had something special and told him I'd think about it. I figuered if a rug dealer offered me $3500 right out of the shoot, I should be able to get more. After asking around I found a guy in San Francisco who would honestly appraise the rug--he told me it was a rare "pinwheel" design Kazak and was about 150 years old. He went on to say that he felt that at auction in Europe or New York the rug might bring $15,000-$20,000. A couple of months later we sent the rug to Germany to be auctioned and it ended up selling for $36,000 and change. After expenses and a "tip" to the San Francisco dealer/appraiser, I pocketed just over $30,000. This was the down payment on my first house.

Well, if the thrift store counts, probably my best (non-audio) score was 20 pounds of sterling silver hollow ware (plates) neatly burried in a huge box of empty CD cases for $5. I didn't even know thet were there until I needed some of the cases weeks later. You'd think I would have noticed the weight, but empty CD cases are actually quite heavy. Makes you wonder how they got there...

fini

Greetings Gentlemen,

My best garage sale score was a pair of Peavey SP3 PA speakers for $20 in good condition.

If thrift stores also count, I bought a Scott 299B and a Sherwood S-2200 AM/FM tube tuner, both in excellent condition, in a home made walnut cabinet for $40.99. 9.gif

Regards,

Greg

Not quite yard sale, but worth mentioning...

I scored 350 record albums from an estate shop for $20.00 - this lot included such gems as The White Album, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band Vol 2, Salisbury (Uriah Heep), all in very good condition. I fetched over $600.00 for the ones I sold to a local dealer, never mind the stuff I kept for my personal collection.

Audio equipment? Haven't been so fortunate there. This is a pretty depressed area of the country - has been for years - not many people ever spent money on audio gear.

One day I'll stumble upon that B&O TT for $20 on someone's lawn 1.gif

(hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)

WHOA ALLAN!!!!!!!! That is VERY cool!

A 69' Fender 'Thinline' (semi-hollow body) Telecaster, mahogany body, maple neck, kinda beat up, with hard shell case..... 100 bucks

Also, bought my Thorens TT for $50. The guy was selling it so he could "get one of those direct drive turntables with lower rumble." LMAO

16.gif

• 6 years later...

Back to this thread again - anyway, last week, I found a Yamaha Rx-Z1 dts receiver in a pawnshop for $170 (plus tax = $210) This was Yamaha's flagship receiver with 8 x 130 real watts and real specs. I've hooked it up downstairs instead of my Yamaha RX-1300 to the RF3 surround setup. Incredible for home theatre and even more incredible for music. Long time since I've lucked into something like this. Also got a bottle of Glenmorangie for shooting a bride last weekend. And here's to lynnm. Slainte. Hamish

Petwer beer stein containing several non working but easily repaired rolex watches. Could have had then for 20 bucks. Took the high road and gave the old lady 2000. She was thrilled. I knocked a home run. Everybody was happy.

A friend bought a hartman luggage case at a railroad unclaimed baggage auction containing a mint cond Grade 2 browning 22 rifle worth about 1200.00.

A friend of mine was riding through Alabama- saw a yard sale- saw a old leg of mutton leather gun case leaning up against the wall of the front porch. Without opening it he gave the guy 100.00 for the case and drove off. the case contained a high grade FOX SXS shotgun. Worth about 12k after some minor professional refirbishing.

Zero luck with audio treasures.

Audio gear, for $100 I got a pair of 601 ser. 2, a carver amp, cd player and tuner. Made about 2k off the stuff I sold.

Best find, I bought about 30 Patrick Nagel prints for $1 each, most framed some signed, worst sold for $45 best sold for $380.

Also bought a complete gun collection for $1000. several ruger pistols a dirty hary pistol, a browning light 12 and several others.

Best find, I bought about 30 Patrick Nagel prints for $1 each, most framed some signed, worst sold for $45 best sold for $380.

Wow! that's awesome. I've been collecting Nagel for about 20 years. I would have died and gone to heaven with that deal. My best deal far and away was my 88 Oak Oil Cornwalls for $25 at a garage sale about 2 blocks from my house. They are still singing away in my 2-channel rig.

Another cheers to lynnm. I miss that guy.

Jeremy