Who is done?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stan, is anyone EVER done? Isn't there always that one last goodie to buy? That new piece of gear to get? For now, I am happy with my system (over joyed really) but I have ideas, wishes for more, different components. I will get them, maybe not right away, but they will come. Isn't that the "addictive" part of this hobby?

This is a dangerous question.9.gif my wife thinks I'm done.

I can say that I'm "nearly" done... and certainly would have no reasonable need to upgrade again. If this were the last system I was to have, sure couldn't complain.

Speakers: Klipschorns

Amp: Wright 2A3 monoblocks

Preamp: Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp

Source: AH! Njoe Tjoebs CD4000 with upsampler.

I have to admit that I'm curious about the Transcendent Sound SE OTL amp. It just might be the bang for the buck value I'd be willing to quit on. I should also offer the disclaimer that I among the minority report folks who think that 1.5 WPC is adequate amplification for Klipschorns anyway.

One other thought on future system. If I were to move into a place that could not accomodate Klipshorns, and that is a distinct possibility for me. Well, I'd be happy enough to live with Heresy's and a vintage Scott or Eico amplifier. Yep, it would still be better than most of the two channel systems in the country. I could be happy with that and not look back. It doesn't take alot to have one heck of a system with Heritage speakers and a nicely refurbed vintage amp. There are also good current production values if one doesn't want to deal with vintage gear. For non-tech types like me, sometimes vintage gear takes more knowledge base to trouble shoot. more than I've got, anyway.

I will probably never be "done".

Sometimes I think I'm done, then I start buying again. Or, I find a single component that I want that then Prompts further purchases.

I guess that's the fun of it all.

One thing though, the Heritage are always there. It's always the "other" components getting changed out.

In some ways I would love to think that I am done. My system does so many things so well to my ears the thought of changing things makes me nervous.

There are always things I wouldnt mind trying. Things that I could change (my TT for example - for appearance sakes if nothing else) but nothing that burns me to do.

I suppose a vinyl cleaning machine is in my future, but other than that if I was suddenly stuck with the system as is for the rest of my natural I would be more than happy.

Of course you had better read my sig...

The Joy of Life is striving for success... the Misery of Life is striving to avoid failure.

So give yourself the "Freedom to Fail"... it frees up your mental capacity to succeed... and while your on the "Audio Upgrade Freeway" remember the striving isn't done until you are! RIP oh ye undead Bose-zombies! -HornED

PS: Make a Joyful Noise al ye Klipsch seekers...

"Each significant improvement to my home movie and music reproduction systems feels as if the system has reached a high Sierra plateau, where no mighty blast of inexpensive air could fill its wings and lift it higher. Tube amplifiers, dual subs, Coincident rattlesnakes and now, real MiniTraps acoustic panels, who knew I could find such a mighty gush of inexpensive air at a plateau this high?"

I am resting, I make a move every year, usually add about $500 each year, planning my next move: tri-amp? try bi-amping again? ALK crossovers? bought extension tube for sub - haven't tried it yet...

I am enormously pleased my current system below. I am presently evaluating a Jolida 100A Tube CD, but could easily live with the Njoe 99 Tube CD. In the future possibly a better Turntable, if money permits. I dont consider the updates as critical, just desired goals to gain those minute sonic benefits that the system has the potential to achieve. Over time I can accomplish this with what Ive determined as minimal costs for me.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Main 2-Channel System

- 79 Klipschorns Walnut Finish (No Mods)

- Welborne DRD 45 Monoblocks W/Tube Rectification

- Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable

- Cary SLP-94 Preamp W/Oil Cap Upgrades

- Jolida JD-100A Tube CD (Evaluating)

- Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 99 Tube CD

- Sony Cassette TC-K444esII

- Silver Audio Hyacinth, AQ Diamondback & IXOS Cables

I'll agree with Parrot, I'm done with speakers, both in 2-ch and HT. Electronics...well, that's another story. Right now I love my Scott 299B, but I'm thinking about a Scott 130/NosValves VRD combo at some point down the road. And I might try one of the AH! NT4000 CD players. Not sure if I will ever want to do SACD on the 2-ch, but will get there in the HT someday.

Now while I may be "done" with speakers, I'm up for minor tweaks to the Klipschorns. I want to get a pair of Bob C's Type A replacement x-overs, and I may swap out the metal K-400 horns for the composite K-401, but other than that, I'll keep these beauties in their stock form.