Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Speaking of center speakers, I thought this was interesting (still reading/rereading it)

Horizontal Center Channel Speakers and Why They Should Be Avoided

Looking at your signature it looks like you have pretty sweet system...

Thanks! It is getting there. Just need a Onkyo 5508, Rhythmic FV15HP, and a new tv stand to hold all of this equipment, and room treatments as well.

Speaking of center speakers, I thought this was interesting (still reading/rereading it)

This is a good article but has very little to do with Klipsch speakers. You have to remember that the horn covers far more of the frequency range then a standard direct radiating speaker design. So, the effects of phase shift are practically non existent for 90%+ of the frequency range on a horn loaded speaker system.

Youthman,

I tend to agree. I toyed with the idea of an Emotiva 5 channel system but my 3805 has PLENTY of power for such efficient speakers. If memory serves me, it only takes one watt to produce 67dB from an average Klipsch speaker design (getting to 113dB is no problem with less than 100 watts = movie association standard for max theater volume). Strapping a huge amp to these things is rather overkill, and any sound performance gains are probably wiped clean due to added cable, connections, and equipment to the loop.

I suggest saving your money or putting your amps on direct radiating speakers you may have in the house. They are really the beneficiaries of large amps since they really need the power more than Klipsch does.

This is a good article but has very little to do with Klipsch speakers. You have to remember that the horn covers far more of the frequency range then a standard direct radiating speaker design. So, the effects of phase shift are practically non existent for 90%+ of the frequency range on a horn loaded speaker system.

Interesting read for sure, but I did notice that when the author tested the Synergy center channel that he completed skipped the fact that the horn worked great and only touched on the woofer coning. He also mentioned that the horn design did a very good job of horizontal dispersion. One thing that was caught my attention was his discussion of a 2.5 way design to help distribute sound across all frequencies. I know that the RC-64 is a 2.5, and that may be one of the big reasons that so many people notice the huge difference in it vs. the RC-62.

• Moderators

Youthman,

I tend to agree. I toyed with the idea of an Emotiva 5 channel system but my 3805 has PLENTY of power for such efficient speakers.... Strapping a huge amp to these things is rather overkill, and any sound
performance gains are probably wiped clean due to added cable,
connections, and equipment to the loop.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding an amp to a receiver. You benefit from improveed clarity, better separation as well as added low frequency response especially at lower volumes. Just has much more authority than a receiver can provide by itself and you benefit from headroom which helps reduce the possibility of clipping (which can destroy your speakers).

I'm just saying 200 watts/ch is sufficient for Klipsch speakers. If you had less efficient speakers (like B&W), then you might benefit more from additional power.

Well after striking out on set of rf83's I decided to jump in on a set of rf63's. $1058 brand new shipped in black. I'll post pics when they arrive. Can't wait to compare them to the rf62ii's.

Congrats on the new 63s JJC! I know you've been looking for awhile. Hopefully they won't disappoint.

Thanks for the link for Pics YM.......thought I'd test it out andshow myincompleted set up...just a lil tinkering needed but getting there.

Running

Pioneer VSX9130

RC-62

RF-35's

SF1's (tinkering as surrounds for now)

SS1's (tinkering as side surrounds)

Optoma HD-65

110' Da-Lite HP manual screen

post-50163-13819656427212_thumb.jpg

It's all centered up now BBR, at time of picture I was just setting up new apt and was about 3 ft short with HDMI going to Projector from HDMI switch.. The rf-35's an rc-62 are my first bump up to Reference from Synergy and couldn't be happier with them......for now

Thx YM ,it's been fun building on a budget and hunting em down.

Sorry for the low quality pics. I shot these with my iphone

Temp

My Temp center channel! lol Sold my Black RC64ii and I used an HD300 satelite while I waited for my Cherry RC64ii to arrive. Also a shot of the RF62ii's without the feet installed. I don't care for the feet so I ordered some old style feet for them. I'll post comparison pics as well.

• dtel pinned this topic