OT: Mom

fini

Forgive me here for getting a bit personal, but I pretty much consider y'all family, so you'll probably let me slide...

As some of you know, my 80 year old Mom's been experiencing some pretty severe health problems, having spent the better part of the last two months in the hospital. Two weeks ago, she was discharged, but wasn't able to return to her 4-bedroom country home (shared with her adored and spoiled cat, Pee Wee). We found a "board & care" for her, close to us, a safe place, albeit not very "intellectually stimulating." The most lively (and, I will say, very sweet) housemate, Dorothy, just turned 99 on Friday, and represents, I would estimate, a zero threat at bingo and "Shanghai."

Well, the last two days she's taken a bit of a slide downhill. Took her to the doc today, and (long story short) we ended up in the ER, with Anita being admitted this evening. She's having a Hell of a time keeping the O2 levels up where they should be. The poor gal's been through a lot. She goes to the can, and by the time she's back in bed, with the air mask on, you'd think she'd climbed Everest.

Well (again...a deep subject, esp. at this hour), she's facing a probable biopsy in the next few days, possibly as soon as tomorrow. Previous surgeons have questioned her ability to "tolerate" (i.e. live through) the general anesthesia. This new guy thinks she'll do fine. What will they find? What can they do? Questions falling like leaves...

fini, Mom's official "POWER OF ATTORNEY"

I guess I'll ask for some collective positive energy, focussed here, for Anita, a hell of a good gal, geeze, she's put up with me for 49 years, don't that count for somethin'?

Thanks, guys.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey fini, The concern, love and care expressed for your Mom is echoed with my best wishes. Just after the Millenium, I just about lost mine but miracles do happen. This Sunday (Canadian Thanksgiving), we're getting together for the turkey dinner down at my brother's. So all the best to you, your Mom and family at this time and here's to a speedy recovery. Slainte Mhath. Hamish

fini: What can I say, bro? You know my own (85-year-old) mom went through the "wringer" earlier this year too. I can say with confidence that I know how you feel. But, you must stay hopeful. Despite the fact that mom continued to need care in the hospital at an ever-increasing rate, something finally clicked; they finally balanced-out the "medicinal-cocktail" (pills) she was consuming each day and it was like she got a new lease on life! One minute she was in the ER every 2 or 3 weeks. Now, she's stayed out of the hospital since early July! (knock-on-wood, here). The same can happen for your mom, too and I hope it does! Keep the faith, my friend. And may God bless your mom and bring her back to better health! 1.gif

First of all fini - I'm honored that you feel close enough to me (us?) via this forum to talk about your mom's troubles and to bear a bit of your soul. Seems like I know you, yet we've never met.

I, along with the others here, will pray for your mom's recovery. And a prayer for you as well as you bear the stress that all of this can bring.

And with your permission, I'd like to sacrifice an athletic sock. 2.gif

Tom

Fini:

My thoughts and prayers are with you. She's on the St. Stephen's prayer list also.

Knowing you as I do from your posts, you'll do all of the right things and if your Mother is as spunky as you, don't let her see this or she'll open a big can of whupA$$ on you for worrying.

But the Family will be in my good thoughts. Take Care and keep us updated.

Win

Thanks, all of you, for the support! I am hearing that the procedure will be tomorrow, but the challenge thus far is being able to talk directly to any of the doctors involved. VERY frustrating, given that everyone is asking me what's going on...

I'm hangin' in there...