POLL: Should Klipsch Subwoofer forum be dedicated to Klipsch subs?

jj1234567

We have a subwoofer forum? Good heavens - fancy that - its not one of the ones in Spanish is it?

Should it be dedicated to Klipsch product? God knows - could be - if it is as tilted to another single manufacturer as all that - especially as that is the wrong manufacturer anyway (everyone knows there is only one sub that can play music!!)

9.gif9.gif9.gif

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ,

Why such a hard-on?

It stands to reason that Klipsch is entitled to do what they like with their website, and I'm sure that they are. It's a shame that you apparently only joined today to bring this topic of such gravity to our collective attention. Or perhaps, on the other hand, you have other usernames that you use for more constructive and enjoyable subjects.

It also stands to reason that stifling discourse of that relatively harmless nature would only reduce traffic to Klipsch's commercial endeavour (ie. this very website). A case where the cure is worse than the disease? Maybe. Either way, it is neither my nor your decision to make.

Restricting the use of banner ads and blatantly commercial competition on this forum seems to working just fine for KAT. They'll let you know, I'm sure, if they need your help.

Welcome to the 2-ch section, BTW. You may find that only about 33% of all topics here have anything to do with Klipsch speakers at all. Maybe you can start a poll in the Technical Questions section about whether or not that is appropriate.

----------------

On 10/15/2004 3:21:47 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

----------------

On 10/15/2004 3:11:35 PM dodger wrote:

But it still boils down to Klipsch pays the bills, we use The Forum for free. Put yourself in their place. Or we may lose the Forum or have to pay dues.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right.

dodger

----------------

Win, I understand your operational logic here. However, as stated above, this may not be the cost center for Klipsch that you seem to imply. They do receive benefits from this forum, even, and perhaps especially, while we discuss competitive products.

They put the board here for our daily discourse; they also have the benefits and challenges derived from it.

----------------

Taking the operational logic one step beyond, WE gain by talking about updates, Modifications, changes.

We also gain comradry, support, chances at equipment Forum members offer before eBaying it.

Focus groups would cost less and give more input besides possibly introducing potential new owners.

We have a bias to be here. The information is somewhat skewed as we know the different Klipsch Lines and their sound per say.

I would venture that more than 50 % of the members owned Klipsch before posting. We may move up, be more aware of line changes, but we are already in their market base.

To be successful, you must keep a majority of your customers while gaining new buyers.

The "buzz" can be gleaned from their dealerships. As I noted in one post, we want Jubilees, Heritage, the Reference Line but are only willing to spend $500.00 for a sub-woofer.

I come back to apoint made -"They put the board here." If there is genuine discourse, it is usually in the form of comparisions. Not by coming to one Manufacturer's Forum and asking what competitor's product to buy without discussing the options of Klipsch - used, demo - the availability to hear the product before buying for yourself. You cannot hear the other product at a Web-Site.

I am not stating that Klipsch derives no benefit. I do feel that there is more negative reaction before we see what may or may not be changing. What may or may not be enforced. Then the reaction stems to two channel and the speculation of what may be discussed there.

But the information gathered by Klipsch HERE can also be seen through sales via dealers. Klipsch could easily modify the sub-woofer category by asking only questions. What do you want, how much will you be willing to pay.

There are less expensive avenues and some are in place as they look at the bottom line. An 800 number is available for customers to call in with feedback, comments, compliments, complaints. All with the human touch.

Klipsch can easily target its market without the Forum. There is the network of dealers who will tell the Reps if people walk out, or continually voice certain complaints. All things needed for finding the voice of the consumer are in place without the Forum.

Email, 800 number, dealer comments, sales data, returns, customers actually writing, word of mouth advertising, print ads and on.

Let's wait and see what happens and what Trey or Steve replies to the question of content or subject before we continually speculate and move the speculation to other parts of the Forum.

Time will tell.

dodger

----------------

On 10/15/2004 2:13:31 PM jj1234567 wrote:

A question for the Klipsch enthusiasts at this board:

Q: Should the Klipsch Subwoofer forum be dedicated to Klipsch subs?

The answer seems obvious to me: YES

The current disastrous situation: NO

As you can see if you take a quick peek in there, the "Powered Subwoofers" forum is anything BUT related to Klipsch subwoofer products on the whole. This seems ridulous to me.

What would people think if 33% of the posts at this 2-channel audio forum were about Athena Technology speakers? I know I'd be pissed as hell.

----------------

This is a moderator...not a random member. Although it is probably smarter to create a 1234567 profile instead of venting while representing the company. In other forums here he's talked about the upper management, percentages, sales volumes, forum disclaimers and related. This is why he has such a vile distaste for non-Klipsch products. My guess is he may be under reprimand due to the situation and needs an anonymous facade to vent his frustrations.

He certainly won't like this post... 5.gif

I'm a bit surprised it took over three hours for us to figure that out.....

Although earlier, Nicholti did note his registration date (today) and the number of posts (just related to this topic) after he posted a similar thread in the subwoofer section.

Of course, I could be wrong. Alternatively, this could the certain forum member who interjected himself into every almost thread in the subwoofer forum every time another brand of subwoofer was mentioned. Could be a new a/k/a, and he needed Trey's thread to energize him.

Moderator or not. I believe we all now fully understand his position: "disastrous, mind-boggling, insane, drastic....." Frankly, I do not think he has used enough CAPS or bold in his posts.

In contrast, Trey said all that really needed to be said. Nice job, Trey.

However, I agree with Vital's brief response.

Carl.

You know all this seems pretty simple. I'm sure by now the person in charge of Klipschs product development is aware of the grumblings that are going on in the sub forum or for that matter the discussion of other named products. I have to believe the person having a vision of a forum sponsored by klipsch had to think, lets start a forum and see what klipsch owners are saying about our products, since it's uncensored we may find out what they really think, we will have first hand knowledge and be able to make needed changes to products so we can keep an edge on the competition. There can be no better angle for research and development than right here. You have real world feedback from your product owners, they tell you where you're hitting, all sections of the forum, and they tell you where your missing, sub section. If there was something about myself that was missing, I would hope that I had a true enough friend to tell me about it. Klipsch you have that. I think this issue is getting spun so much that the context is getting lost, it's not about buying somebody elses product. If SVS and HSU can build an affordable sub, so can Klipsch. Klipsch is a pioneer in the industry, there is nothing they can't do. Klipsch, embrace this forum for what I believe it was designed for, get your sub guy in here and ask, whats going on, what do we need to do, what do you want? You will get an honest answer. Just build a sub with a price thats comparable, it doesn't have to be better, and I will buy it. Because it's you, KLIPSCH!

This discussion should be over, it's time for a positive move, get your people in here, lets make this a team effort, YOU CAN'T LOSE.

This sub thing,Klipsch only carping is gettin'a little old.I've been a proud Klipsch owner,when I read threads like this I feel somehow less proud.I've always thought of Klipsch as taking on all comers,make the best product they can at the best price and let the chips fall.

I come here to get the best speaker advice possible, regardless of whether or not Klipsch is the recommended product. It just so happens that people like alot of subs besides just Klipsch and I, for one, appreciate all of the various subs discussed!

D-Rex

I believe the Klipsch Forum provides a marketing tool that by any other means, would require a LOT of money to buy. Forum members generally don't hold back in their opinions, and if something is wrong, you'll hear about it first on this Forum. In the other hand, if something is popular, you will also hear about it.

It is what is done with this valuable information that can turn a win-win situation into a win-lose situation. Win in that you have the information, lose because you don't exploit it properly. The subwoofer section has been dominated by discussion about certain products that are cheap, some are delivered to your door, and sound okay when you switch them on. The fact that these things actually work is a plus as far as the buyer is concerned. Actual end user sound quality is an entirely different issue.

Klipsch is quite entitled to keep a rein on the use of their Forum. They are also quite entitled to throw their comments into the mix which will, hopefully, generate constructive debate. Trey has done this. And very well I might add. There were no threats, no hints at retribution, just a gentle reminder to Forum members to more carefully consider Klipsch products in their recommendations.

I would also suggest that Klipsch has kept an eagle eye on this Forum. It would be surprising to me if Klipsch management has not made a mental note about current market trends. I believe as of this very minute, moves are afoot to counteract the marketing strategy of their competitors. 2.gif

So it occurred to me this morning over coffee that Klipsch has another alternative. If they find it difficult to make a competitive sub, they probably have a strong enough balance sheet to just go BUY SVS, or whoever they feel would be a good acquisition.

They acquired Aragon, and could do the same for a subwoofer product line if they reasoned that it was compelling enough.

In an early post Chris Robinson hit it right. THe value of competitive intelligence has got to be worth its weight in some potential Short Term lost sales. My company (insurance company) routinely provides competitor information vs our products to our sales people (who can sell competitive products if they want). Our intent is to find out why the sell competitors specifically. What feature on ours lacking compared to company B, C, D, etc. We have made significant modifications due to this specific input. And, our sales force trusts us more as they know we're not afraid of the competition. THis input is 10x more valuable than any consultant or 3rd party could provide us. If you have SVS sales people out there fanning the flames, that's one thing. But individuals touting why they bought SVS over klipsch or vice versa is important. Klipsch needs to highlight why theres is better. Even if more expensive. Finish, service and ability to here before buying are very legitimate reasons for higher costs. Also, I was considering and SVS, but am leaning toward klipsch now due to listeners indicating that the klipsch may be better for music. I would not have known this if not for the sub forum.

In one word, NO, the Klipsch subwoofer forum should not be limited to Klipsch subwoofers.

Klipsch says that at any price point, they want to provide the best value to the customer. The market (and their own forum) is telling Klipsch that they need to improve price to performance within their subwoofer lines.

The management needs to be aware that most forum members, newbie or not, frequent multiple forums, such as AVS forum or Sound & Vision for example. The Internet makes the other brands' advantages readily apparent to anyone with a computer that bothers to look for information.

Censorship would only reduce brand loyalty to ALL Klipsch products IMO and would not solve the real problem.

Klipsch needs to be aware that audio enthusiats in home theater want good response below 30 Hz due to the LFE content in modern movies. The philosophy of the Klipsch subwoofer design team seems to be that if you cannot hear it, why have the subwoofer reproduce it. The market wants all the sound below 30 Hz, even if it is difficult to hear.

When Klipsch produces a superior product like the RSW-15 or the THX Ultra2 subwoofers, the forum members are very happy to recommend it, even if it costs a bit more. I am very happy with my RSW-15 and always recommend it, if it seems to be within the means of the prospective buyer.

Bill