Common Courtesy is Too Uncommon (Looonng)

Please, lets all try to avoid personal attacks, such as comments regarding spelling, hygiene or prostheses.

Instead, please freely share your opinions about the pros and cons of SET versus PP, other topologies or other topics. Dont forget, some people actually mix SET and/or PP with SS and the Earth keeps spinning.

Granted, it would be easier to read and understand some posts if Forum members consistently demonstrated an understanding of the differences between:

are (verb) our (plural possessive pronoun);

to (as in, to the store) too (a synonym for also);

accept (to receive something) except (with the exclusion of);

there (preposition) -- their (plural possessive pronoun);

your (possessive pronoun) youre (contraction of you are); and

infer (to conclude from evidence or premises*) imply (to express or indicate directly*)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Notwithstanding the above frequent deviations from Standard English, its generally possible to decipher the meanings, irrespective of the creative misspelling, unconventional grammar and fractured syntax too often employed. While the ability to write and spell well makes it easier to express ones opinions, it in no way makes those opinions about audio, music or anything else more valuable than those held and expressed by others who couldnt spell correctly at gunpoint.

There is absolutely no correlation between the ability to spell and/or write and intelligence generally or expertise in electronics or audio specifically. If I need expert advice or service on audio gear, Ill choose a source based on criteria that do not include the ability to spell or write well.

Civility and courtesy, on the other hand, should always be important. Its my preference to surround myself, and do business with, people who do not feel threatened by differing opinions, and, therefore, are not compelled to personally attack the perceived threats. Its perfectly fine to hold the opinion that the other person is an idiot, a liar, unethical or bothers sheep, but the purposes of this Forum are not advanced by sharing such opinions publicly; send a PM if you must.

The free exchange of opinions should provoke spirited discussions without rancor. Criticize the music, the circuit topology, the speaker (as in transducer), etc. without criticizing the proponent of what you dislike.

For example, in another thread I jokingly implied a dislike for rap music when I said:

I confess. Ive been listening to a lot of rap music lately.mostly at intersections.

From that line (stolen from an unrecalled comedian), it could be reasonably and correctly inferred that I am not a fan of rap music. It was not a personal attack upon rap musicians or fans. It did prompt a response about old farts who listen to only jazz or classical. While not a particularly clever retort, it was at least civil; it was not taken by me as a personal attack on me or everyone else that dislikes rap music.

Its merely my opinion, but I cant help but think less of individuals who publicly and repeatedly personally attack other Forum members, even if I agree with them that the object of their vitriolic tirades is an idiot, unethical or worse. NOTHING that we might hope to accomplish here is advanced by such sniping, no matter how accurate or obvious.

If I occasionally fail to live up to the standards expressed abovewhich is not beyond beliefplease feel free to call me to task. I will try to accept disagreement and criticism with grace and without expressing my opinions about any correlation between your IQ and your tooth count, or to suggest that you slithered from the shallow end of the gene pool. While such comments can be humorous in the abstract, they can offend when individuals feel that they are directed at them. Which reminds me, DONT BE SO THIN SKINNED. Dont be so egotistical as to assume that every insult is directed at you. Try to ignore attempted insults. Try to avoid retaliating with similarly low behavior.

Perhaps we should take a cue from A. Lincoln. It was his practice to write extremely critical letters to his generals, in which he strongly pointed out their failures (of which there were many). But, he did not post them immediately, if ever. He would wait a day or two and not mail the letter at all or temper the criticism before posting it. We could vent our spleens in a Word document and save it for at least 24 hours. Then, upon further reflection, it could be self-edited to remove any personal criticisms while retaining the substance of our valid opinions. This would also give us an opportunity to check the spelling and grammar.

I think Mark Twain said something like, Better to remain silent and risk being thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Too many here have removed all doubt about their incivility and lack of common courtesy, through their foolish behavior.

And yes, this was roughed out yesterday in a Word document, and edited today before being pasted into the Forum

*American Heritage Dictionary

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diz,

Thanks for the good post. I agree that civility is a fair expectation for this forum, which is head and shoulders above any I've run across on the internet. In fact, I think though "community" is perhaps the most over used and misapplied word regarding internet associations... the Klipsch forum is in many ways conducted and carried on in the spirit of Mr. Paul Klipsch.

One thing which makes the forum cool, but also risky is real time posts. In the future it is likely that persons who don't play nice with others won't have real time posting privileges.

As always, I sincerely appreciate the folks who have helped me learn along the audio adventure.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 6:58:19 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Diz,

Thanks for the good post...

One thing which makes the forum cool, but also risky is real time posts.

----------------

I never considered that aspect of this Forum (real time posts). In fact I don't participate on other forums. Are they the same?

I quite agree.

Better spelling and grammer are certainly goals for which we all should strive. I don't worry too much about shortcomings though.

OTOH the use of the C word offends me. Apparently it got off the banned list and is used for shock value.

Some of the jokes are crude and worse. Like choice of words, it is just low class. I'd like to see this place kept high class.

That looks like a Seven variant. I recall reading about a Rotus version.

Best,

Gil

As the others, I compliment your post. It is not just a model for behaviour on the Forum but in much of life itself.

I try not to take sides. I do rant. As you, if out of line, please call me to task.

This is about the only true open Forum provided by a Speaker Manufacturer.

I come to learn, to exchange ideas with like minded people. If I can pass information on, fine.

If I may ask a favor, I do not know how to adjust / change the size of the text as you do. At your comfort would you send instructions to me?

I have only checked out a couple of other Forums and have not seen them to be in real time.

You gave much thought to your writing. I hope that all please take it to heart.

Thank You,

Win

Neil, I think a lot of out here agree with your thoughts, especially about the positive aspects of being respectful and civil, rather than condescending, belittling, arrogant, self-righteous, etc. On the other hand, I also understand some of the venting of frustration that occurs when intentional baiting occurs, and then continues. Most of us tune-out to those threads, but they serve no useful purpose . . . . except to entertain the trolls.

I guess what I find most surprising is the number of obviously intelligent and experienced members (this leaves me out) who suddenly go from nice guy to out-of-control (or off-my-medication) in the blink of an eye.

I continue to believe that the vast majority of people here are the type I would enjoy having as neighbors, or going out to lunch with, socializing, etc. None-the-less, like road rage when we are behind the wheel, rant-rage pops up at the keyboard a bit too frequently. JMHO, aimbfocc( and i may be full of ca-ca). Best to y'all.

My compliments on your positive and eloquent post, Diz.

I agree with Patrick about the keyboard rage--it is unfortunate to see that surface from time to time. Some of the chronic offenders probably don't realize how their stuff reads, since they apparently don't actually read it themselves before they send it off.

In any case, most times the Forum is great--I've learned a lot and met some cool folks. Now if I could just quit buying so damned many speakers!

Best in horns,

triceratops

----------------

On 5/2/2005 8:19:30 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Maybe it's C for Craig?

1.gif

Greg

----------------

No some one spelled Greg wrong and used a C ;)

Were cool by the way aren't we ? You did just bail out because of the impending doom?

Craig

"DONT BE SO THIN SKINNED
."

Hey now I'm offended are you talking to me
;)

There is much here that many don't know about that happen behind the scenes. Some of the "Thin Skinned" responses are because of things that have never been seen out in the open. Just thought I might inject some clues as to my thing skinned nature at times with certain people.

Great post some of it really hit home. Maybe others will take it to heart also.

Craig

<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

----------------

On 5/2/2005 11:03:06 PM fini wrote:

Why is there not a "biting my tongue" emoticon? I'm beginning to bleed...
----------------

Fini,

I can not believe you would come in a thread like this and bait. Your incredible.

Craig