obsessive???

r.cherry

how many think it is obsessive to ask your spouse to refrain from placing a bowl of water with flowers in it on your speaker that you have waited 30 yrs to own??? it didn't seem like that big of a request to me, but then i'm a guy.

i really like these speakers. does that seem obsessive or just being cautious?

I've given up a long time ago on my living room speakers (non Klipsch, I know) and they are littered with rings and scratches. I don't care!

But don't you dare put anything on top of the KHorns! Those are my babies!

So... buy some sacrificial non-Klipsch speakers for her to put something on! :-)

you can fight it but you will NOT win!! I bit the bullet and got some thick glass tops with beveled edges made for my CW's. $75.00 for peace of mine is cheaper than refinishing them, hiring a divorce lawyer, etc. Now she can put whatever she wants up there . . . . and you know they will, similar to an animal marking its territory. Go get glass. JMHO, YMMV

----------------

On 6/4/2005 9:11:41 PM st. patrick wrote:

you can fight it but you will NOT win!! I bit the bullet and got some thick glass tops with beveled edges made for my CW's. $75.00 for peace of mine is cheaper than refinishing them, hiring a divorce lawyer, etc. Now she can put whatever she wants up there . . . . and you know they will, similar to an animal marking its territory. Go get glass. JMHO, YMMV

----------------

I will seasonally allow a knick-knack or two on mine, but she knows I don't care for it; there will never be a liquid, enclosed or not, placed on my Fortes. If there were a spill, I would immediately upgrade to a brand-spanking new pair of LaScalas, with a couple of PB12-Ultras to round out the bottom end.

Ah, the subtle threat of retaliation through increased credit-card debt. Ain't Western society great?

• Moderators

Dtel's wife here:

I learned very early in my marriage to dtel that you do not come between a man and "sound sytem". Once and only once did I place a small houseplant on a speaker. Based on "the look" I knew to remove the plant immediately, and never repeated that mistake.

At that time a compromise was reached on knick-knacks. Initially I put all kinds of little things on the speakers. He was not a happy camper, but let it slide.

We have recently reached an agreement that small (5x7 or smaller) picture frames are acceptable on top of the speakers. Only one or two picture frames per speaker please.

As we now have three grandchildren this provides additional space to display our photographs of them. 2.gif

• Like 1

You guys are lucky it's just your wife you need to deal with. So many friends of mine come and go through my apartment, if I could list the things that have been put ontop of my RF7's, this board would crash. Everything from KFC chicken-buckets to housekeys, a laptop to a bong, fuzzy little hamsters to brass knuckles.

I know...RF7's aren't anywhere in the same league as Khorns...but still. It's the principle.

My wife hasn't tried a plant yet, but any little doodad or thingamajig on top of my speakers will shake off rather quickly at the right the volume level 11.gif . "Sorry dear, I guess that we just shouldn't put anything there" 2.gif .

Tell her, "If you don't want me rebuilding my 4-barrel carberator on top of your fancy oak and glass coffee table in the front room, then you'll find another place to put your potted rubber tree plants that you always overfill each time you water them."11.gif

We do have some items on our cabinets, but the rules are very specific.

All cabinet tops are covered in heavy/thick cloth, fabric, or in one instance, a Guinness bar towel. This prevents any possibility of scratching, and keeps any items in place that are used as deco.

ABSOLUTELY NO fluids or candles permitted on or IN THE VICINITY OF speakers or other audio gear....EVER. Did I say EVER? This means, of course, NO PLANTS on the cabinets. I like plants, but plants + speaker cabinets = 11.gif

Any items placed on cabinets that vibrate or move across the surface during system use is removed.

Small rugs, towels, weavings, or custom cut glass are all good ways to protect the tops.

Protection of the tops is necessary, especially if in good condition - and absolutely worth defending.

See, if you all just had Heresys tilted back, you wouldn't be able to put anything on them. They would just slide off. 2.gif

We have a stack of sheet music on one cabinet, as it sits next to the piano. The other one has a small easel with a phot book on it. I don't think my wife has ever even tried to put plants on them, since the early '70s. But my house often looks like a studio with mic cables and mixers everywhere.

Marvel