do ya ever get tired?

colterphoto1

Do ya ever get tired of this hobby? I mean to where you just don't listen to music or watch tv anymore. I'm fairly well tripping over speaker cabinets all over my house, only about one third of them are actually plugged into anything, but it just doens't mean much anymore. I don't enjoy all the stuff, as much as I used to love music, it just doens't do anything for me. I find myself shutting it all down and just going to bed earlier and earlier....

Michael

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do ya ever get tired of this hobby? I mean to where you just don't listen to music or watch tv anymore. I'm fairly well tripping over speaker cabinets all over my house, only about one third of them are actually plugged into anything, but it just doens't mean much anymore. I don't enjoy all the stuff, as much as I used to love music, it just doens't do anything for me. I find myself shutting it all down and just going to bed earlier and earlier....

Michael

i can see that happening. perhaps you should try out the DIY areas of the hobby and start building your own horn speakers. it's sure more rewarding knowing something you created with your own hands sounds much greater than most speakers on the market.

I don't watch tv as much anymore it drains my brain and I don't have cable or sat.

I get into music rutts sometimes for instance I think I listened to

nothing but Japanese punk/new wave/rock for months they still make it

into the cdp but not as often. I didn't listen much except for music in

the background for a little while but recently I've found some new

Nigerian Jazz and some early Caribbean dub that i love and I am paying

more attention to the music instead of just letting it play in the

background. There is tons of new/old music out there you just need to

find whatever music it is that jams your soul and keeps you going.

Do ya ever get tired of this hobby? I mean

to where you just don't listen to music or watch tv anymore. I'm fairly

well tripping over speaker cabinets all over my house, only about one

third of them are actually plugged into anything, but it just doens't

mean much anymore. I don't enjoy all the stuff, as much as I used to

love music, it just doens't do anything for me. I find myself shutting

it all down and just going to bed earlier and earlier....

Michael

The mind of a genius, an the heart of a child, feeling everything so deeply

Michael

The mind of a genius, an the heart of a child, feeling everything so deeply

Johny, I knew you'd hit it on the head. In a way it's how I feel about my photography. I have to be sensitive, sentimental and creative so much that I just break down at times. It's a double edged sword of the creative mind I guess. I used to numb out with drugs and alcohol but since quitting all of that entirely, have no where to turn....

Thanks guys

Michael

Michael

Sounds like your going through a stage of burnout with this hobby. I've enjoyed this hobby for 35 years and as life goes on there have been times when I just have to slow down and turn my attention else where. You know in my view a happy life is all about balance and to much of anything usually isn't the best thing for anyone. One aspect of this hobby that I have always done is to keep trying to improve my sound and sometimes that can get so involved that I've caught myself not really listening or enjoying my system. So I've learned to walk away for awhile and also to just turn my system on and stop my mind from thinking about improvements and instead just Listen to the Music. Obviously after 35 years at this hobby I realize that it is a part of my life that I will always enjoy but there are only so many hours in a day so I try to pay attention and spend time with family and good friends to find that happy balance.

Take a break Michael and make an effort to enjoy other things for awhile and then I believe you will find your interest in this hobby coming back and the fun also.

mike[:)]

Mike,

You've got lots of Klipsch toys now. With winter coming, it's time to open up Santa's workshop and start restoration. Shine em up and make them yelp like they used to. A perfect thing to do over the winter.

Set a goal to restore a certain number of pair. Then, when they are completed throw the ultimate Colter bash and let them all rip.

Seriously, even if you have to send some out for cabinet work or refinishing, set the goal and get-r-done. You can always peddle the finished products here afterwards to recoup.

Just an idea to kick start things.

Well my gawd, you own just about every damn heritage speaker klipsch produced. You have nothing to look forward to. [:D]

Get an XBOX, Get Madden NFL 2006 and get XBOX live. XBOX supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and meet me on the virtual gridiron. [:D]

I totally second moon!!

Well apart from that, Michael I only recently got into photography as a hobby. I got myself a Canon AE-1 Program w/50mm standard lens. I've shot maybe 9 or 10rolls , I'm a total newbie to photography and sometimes getting a shot "right" is so frustrating. Just the way you put it, have to be sensitive creative etc etc... its quite the hobby. But I find that the "right" shots when I see the prints make the hobby worth it.

"perhaps you should try out the DIY areas of the hobby and start building your own horn speakers."

Tofu makes a good point. You should start building your own, it's more involved and interesting than collecting one brand. I'd argue that you'll end up with better speakers too.

Colter,

I hear you,I was about to not buy anything a few months ago.I have great gear,some of the finest and powerful solid state amps,I have so much gear I pile it up.Subs are stacked,many stacks.Audio racks upon audio racks of gear.I was about to call it quits and even sell most of my gear...

Then came a vaccation from audio,stopped posting here,did not spend a dime for a few months on audio.It felt great...

Then all of a subbed I hear about a seller who has tenor Audio amps for sale,these are like new....WOHA my interest was again like when I first started buying audio gear.WOW felt like a kid in a toy store,had to buy them.Yes I made a deal,YES.I shortly after started to spend like a sicko...more tube gear...new speakers comming up,the mostr expensive I have ever purchased.A few months is all that one needs,a good break from buying...just start to enjoy your speakers,your audio.

take a break and come back,sicker about audio than ever. [:D]

It did it for me,it can work for you.

Michael I think you ought to take a break from collecting gear, and actually sitting down and listening to your investments. Maybe something new something old something different. Start buying cd/ Lps whatever your favorite format is. After awhile I assure you your appreciation for music will come back ten fold.

For me I think it is the point where you are close to being finished and you have all you want, and the thrill of the pursuit and chase is gone.

I think I don't want it to be finished because the search, finding and acquiring is so much fun! Sometimes I get aggravated and feel like I want to just get rid of it all because of issues with a piece of gear. I do listen and use the system every day, and from dawn till dusk and beyond on weekends. When I started this HT back in 1999 I never ever thought it would progress to the level that it has. I suppose I need to calm down and just sit and enjoy more instead of stressing over what else I can get.

I love having the system because winters in VT are long and cold and I always have something to look forward to when I come home. This is a good movie month too! I have Madagascar and the War of the Worlds to look forward to, after just enjoying Star Wars EPIII.

Yea. Take a trip that doesn't involve more collecting . . . . . but only AFTER we meet in Ft. Wayne to exchange a pair of La Scalas for the pile 'o' Advents. At least your're reducing your Klipsch inventory.

On the other hand, perhaps we should just set up a stand on a corner in Ft. Wayne and sell the Advent stuff to the residents of Ft. Wayne's world. The purging might be cathartic.

What has Klipsch done to you? Keep your most prized ones, and sell off the rest.

Reminds me of fishing for trophy fish. Snap a picture with it, throw it back in the water to swim another day and provide the exitement of catching it again, to others.

"Catch & Release" with speakers, so to speak.