Big news!!!!! 60th Anniv Khorn

3dzapper

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be alone on this one, but with all respect I do not think this edition of the K-Horns really look all that good.

At a distance it will simply have some very strong lines. The toe kick is not appealing and the "sides" do not extend far enough to complete the horn flare. They will still need to be in the room's corners.

Perhaps the swivelling top will make the on-axis seating position easier (I wonder what that looks like when the upper and lower cabinets are not "aligned")

When cabinets are so large, having more wood visible makes them a bit less visually oppressive. I can only imagine the comments my girlfriend will make when she sees these.

Good Luck,

-Tom

The closed in back does not mean they can be freestanding. It's more for aesthetics than anything. I agree they will still have the same corner loading requirements as the standard Klipschorn.

True Edwin. Corner coupling would, it seems, be less critical. Enabling many who's corners aren't "perfect" to appreciate the Klipschorn.

Rick

I have the same question. If they're designed to be snuggred snugly into corners, how can the new ones with sealed backs be be toed-out or toed-in without losing some of the bass effect? I don't understand.

I do like the idea of a transparent panel over the crossover though. Mine are opaquely-sealed in the bass bin The transparent feature aside though, I think I prefer my "open architecture" '03's.

Still, if one likes the overall clear, transparent stunning sound of Klipschorns, even $11,000 is not too much to pay for a special set of those truly world class speakers. I regard my front array of Khorns plus Belle as my "three Steinways."

Looking at the back of the 60th anniversery I see a FLAW...!!!!!! I know you can now use these away from the corner.....But if you wanted to place them back in the corner they will no longer fit tight because the lower bass bin no longer will have the NOTCH to clear bassboard along the wall. Not a big deal but would require cutting out wall bassboard.

Guys, I just got back from CES and spent quite a bit of time looking at the new K-Horns and they are pretty stunning. More I looked at them, more I liked them. They are very classy. They have also (GASP!) upgraded the cables inside! Compared to much of the same old drivel at the Alexis Park and THE SHOW...I'd take a pair anyday over some of the other "high end" gear.

Looking at the back of the 60th anniversery I see a FLAW...!!!!!! I know you can now use these away from the corner.....But if you wanted to place them back in the corner they will no longer fit tight because the lower bass bin no longer will have the NOTCH to clear bassboard along the wall. Not a big deal but would require cutting out wall bassboard.

Most likely that would not be an issue Maron. The critical coupling at the last fold has already been accomplished by the closed back. As long as the opening is not restricted, thhe horn will be able to continue it's expansion.

I wonder what the ratio of sales, America v Asia, will be.

Rick

Yeh, I would expect there would be alot of Asian sales.

Does anyone know how many 50th anniv. pairs of Khorns were produced. I

think my first impression of that design was "Asian market". It would

also be interesting to know what kind of distribution there was of

those 50th anniv. models. US, Europe, Asia, etc.

I would want to add a disclaimer. I'm happy for Klipsch to sell

speakers wherever they can. Interesting enough, one issue some Asian

authorized dealers have... As with any other dealer, they must limit

the price to the MSRP. However, they sometimes have customers who come

in and say, "OK, show me all your speakers over $10K" They lose Klipsch

sales because the ultra rich customers think the Khorn is too

inexpensive to be good. The dealers are confident they could sell more

if they could only charge more. That all may sound odd in a head

scratching way, in terms of the ways of the wealthy. However, consider

it from the quality of the speaker. A real compliment to Klipsch, IMO.

Tigerwoods,

You did a fabulous job on your integrated "false corners". You've got a Jubilee like end result... a real beauty.

• 4 months later...

I bumped this thread because all has gone quiet on the suggestion thatt the current Klipschorn is being revised. Last I heard was that even the standard klipschorn would have a closed in back as depicted in the above photo.

Any news?