Heartbreaking Voicemail

Deang

Some of you might remember a fellow by the name of Kenneth Lett who posted here a little over a month ago looking for advice on how to get more performance out of his LaScalas. I told him when my bench was clear I would build him something to try. I called him earlier this evening, but had to leave a voicemail. I did some work out in the garage, and when I came back in to grab my cell phone, I had a new voicemail.

The voicemail was from Ken's wife, Mary. With a voice under tremendous strain, she left a message telling me that Ken had been killed in a car accident on May 4th. Ken must have been the kind of guy that told his wife everything -- she knew who I was and what it was about. I called back and spoke with Ken's son, and it was readily apparent that this has hit them very, very hard. There was company in the house, so I offered to call back later to speak to Mary. I will be calling her back shortly as a courtesy, and will probably ask to pray with her. So, pray for me as I struggle to find the right words, and then pray for them!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K., the call went well, and I think I managed to not say anything stupid. As it turns out, Mary and Ken were strong in Lord, so offering to pray with her wasn't as stressful as I feared. She is aware of the forum, so I told her about this thread. I told her there would be kind words out here -- so bring 'em on!

Here's one of Kenneth's posts from his first (perhaps only) thread here- looks like he was well on his way to audio nirvana- he was getting a lot of help from many of the regulars here and was picking up the tips at an alarming rate:

I REALIZE THIS, BUT IVE HAD SO MANY KLIPSCH SPEAKERS AND I FINALLY GET MY DREAM LA SCALAS THEY ARE PERFECT EXCEPT

AT CONVERSATIONAL LEVELS THEN THEY SOUND DULL OR BORING. GIVE ME

SOME HELP. I HAD CF-3 AND SWEET SPOTS EVERYWHERE. SOUNDED AWESOME NEVER

FELT THE NEED TO KEEP CRANKING THEM UP. BUT THE LA SCALA'S DONT GIVE ME

COLD CHILLS UNTILL I CRANK THEM. I GOT A CALL INTO DEAN.

BUT MAN I WENT TO A LOT OF TROUBLE TO GET THESE SPEAKERS ONLY TO BE

DISSAPPOINTED. THE SETUP LOOKS KILLER. BUT I CANT GET DETAIL OR HEAR

THE GUITAIR STRINGS BEND UNTIL I STEP ON THE VOLUME. PLEASE SOMEBODY

HELP...

I am at a loss for words, this is the kind of thing that just stops you in your tracks. My condolences, prayers and hope for strength and peace go out to Ken's family in their time of loss. God Bless.

Thanks for posting this Dean you are a giant among men in these types of situations.

Very unfortunate. Makes me feel bad. Dean since you know his addy and

such maybe we could all send a little contribution and get flowers or

something. I don't have loads of dough but I'd be willing to contribute

say $10 that'd be a start. We could paypal it to you or something. Just

a thought. Mark

Very unfortunate. Makes me feel bad. Dean since you know his addy and such maybe we could all send a little contribution and get flowers or something. I don't have loads of dough but I'd be willing to contribute say $10 that'd be a start. We could paypal it to you or something. Just a thought. Mark

count me in as well....

Dean...a very good thing you did...[A]...perhaps we could contribute to getting those crossovers done...perhaps she would like listening to something else that brought her husband pleasure...my thoughts and prayers are with you as well as Mary and her family and for Ken...

Bill

Dean,

I sat weeping at the computer as I read your first post on this. My mind flashed back to all the time that Barbara and I were able to have together the last six months of her life, to know everything was okay, to pray for one another as new tests revealed news we didn't want or expect. Yet, Barbara would always say that it wasn't news to God and He wasn't surprised. Not ten days before she passed away, while I was away on errand, she told the rest of the family that "One day we'll look back on all this and laugh." And we will. For we are not a people without hope, and this is but a short moment, no matter what the pain seems like right now. Even though I still grieve, and sometimes weep uncontrollably, we have that hope.

My prayers now, are with them.

Bruce

To All-

Last week I was bidding on some Klipschorn speakers and getting some heat on how I liked to bid on Ebay. Now this !!!

I realize how petty that was and how lucky I am in my life.

My wife and I will have Ken and his family in our prayers tonight.

Dean,

You dont know me but I would like to donate enough money to pay for some crossovers if that is what his wife would like to do. Just tell me when, where and how much.

Thanks

Peter Carter

I remember reading his post about his LaScalas. Its too bad that it takes a tragedy such as this to make us realize what is truly important in our lives - life itself.

If any of Kenneth's family reads this, I'm truly sorry for your loss. [:(]

i'm not a long time member here and don't post much ,but i go through most of the posts tring to find something to help me better my little system and use that knowledge to get my music there.like ken he was chasing his dream to get to that place where his music made him feel whole.music can be so emotional and i think thats what the man enjoyed.i wasen't going to post anything. i turned off my computer and went listen to my music and something brought me back online to just say to ken and all his family through tears is i'm so sorry for you deep loss and please Lord give them peace to make it through the days till that peace is there.your a good man dean. thank you and amen.