Charcoal or Gas?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pit Damon, I prefer neither. I use real wood like mesquite chunks that are available at home depot. Growing up in South Texas I loved grilling over pure mesquite, nothing like it.

Nothing like charred mammal flesh made while swilling beer on the rear deck whilst swatting the attacking mosquitoes away! Yes life is good.

Try some cream cheese stuffed Jalepenos wrapped with thin sliced bacon as a side to that nice looking chicken, yummmmm.

damonrpayne,

I bought a Chargriller just like yours six years ago and it's going strong. The thing I like best about it is the thick cast iron grills. But you can't let moisture get to them or they will rust like crazy. I highly recommend getting the plastic cover for it if you haven't already. I smoke just about everything using Kingsford charcoal and chunks of hickory, cherry and maple from my woodshop. I keep them in a bucket of water on the back porch. Enjoy!

Damon   I've got the same rig you've got.  It has a hot pot side rig you can add.  I do prefer charcoal and this rig is good.  It has a good draw using the side and top vent and the coals to grate level is easily adjusted.  The only problem I've experienced is using is it as a smoker.  I fire up the side hot pot which causes the temperature to be uneven in the main chamber so the meat has to be turned for even cooking.  But this thing has 4 cast iron grates allowing for lots of variations and they get rocket hot.  For smoking I mix cherry wood sawdust with hickory particulates.  It smokes forever and the flavor is perfect.  Not too smokey but with depth (hard to explain).  Get a battery powered digital remote thermometer so you can keep it in the meat and not have to open the lid to check temperatures.   The thermometer on the grill cover is worthless, you have to watch the food.  I got a rib roast today that I cut into 12 -- 2 inch steaks.  Looking forward to the weekend.  Enjoy.

I have a TEC Patio II infrared gas grille and it is awesome. I do like charcoal but for steaks the TEC is amazing. It will sear unlike anything I have ever seen. Sear both sides crispy, crank it down after 3 minutes MAX on each side and finish cooking. The exterior is crunchy and you can eat the inside with a spoon. I did burn some food the first few times I used it but I got it now. It also does the really large chicken breast sort of the same way and the extreme searing locks in the juices. No more dried out chicken breast and no more 70 minute cooking times for them either.

Damon,

There is nothing that taste like charcoal. Gas is convenient, but it's a trade off.

As others have mentioned, the Chargriller is an excellent unit, especially the cast iron cooking grates. Also, if you ever want to do any smoking with an offset firebox, Chargriller has that as a bolt on accessory.

Have you tried any of the natural lump charcoal? It is a hotter and cleaner burn than briquettes.

I have a TEC Patio II infrared gas grille and it is awesome. I do like charcoal but for steaks the TEC is amazing. It will sear unlike anything I have ever seen. Sear both sides crispy, crank it down after 3 minutes MAX on each side and finish cooking. The exterior is crunchy and you can eat the inside with a spoon. I did burn some food the first few times I used it but I got it now. It also does the really large chicken breast sort of the same way and the extreme searing locks in the juices. No more dried out chicken breast and no more 70 minute cooking times for them either.

Tangent => It just cracks me up that this forum software "bleeps out" words like bre*sts and pus*y (picky used the phrase pus*y footing in his tankless thread), yet it allows a word like damn.

Tom

Nice pit Damon, I prefer neither. I use real wood like mesquite chunks that are available at home depot. Growing up in South Texas I loved grilling over pure mesquite, nothing like it.

Nothing like charred mammal flesh made while swilling beer on the rear deck whilst swatting the attacking mosquitoes away! Yes life is good.

Try some cream cheese stuffed Jalepenos wrapped with thin sliced bacon as a side to that nice looking chicken, yummmmm.

On our honeymoon, my wife and I enjoyed a steak cooked over mesquite chunks of wood. Nothing beats the flavor of wood, then charcoal and last, gas. We use gas for convenience but I look foward to adding a charcoal rig such as Damon's. Where did you pick it up, Damon?

-David

Working 12 hour rotating shifts, I use my gas grill on work days or when I'm in a hurry.  When I have the time it is definately charcoal time!  Always remember to let your beef come to room temp. before grilling, never cut into beef,pork or chicken while cooking and lastly cover your meat after cooking and let rest for 5-10 minutes, so that the juices will re-distribute. 

Damon,

There is nothing that taste like charcoal. Gas is convenient, but it's a trade off.

As others have mentioned, the Chargriller is an excellent unit, especially the cast iron cooking grates. Also, if you ever want to do any smoking with an offset firebox, Chargriller has that as a bolt on accessory.

Have you tried any of the natural lump charcoal? It is a hotter and cleaner burn than briquettes.

There is place nearby that makes natural charcoal, what I've found with this stuff is that it burns out FAR quicker than, say, Kingsford. If you can recommend a brand I'm all for it.

On our honeymoon, my wife and I enjoyed a steak cooked over mesquite chunks of wood. Nothing beats the flavor of wood, then charcoal and last, gas. We use gas for convenience but I look foward to adding a charcoal rig such as Damon's. Where did you pick it up, Damon?

-David

I picked this one up at Lowe's. I am a huge fan of Cook's Illustrated magazine, and they did a big shootout with charcoal grills. This one (CharGriller Super Pro) was ranked #2 overall, and the #1 best buy since the #1 overall unit was $600 and this one is $120. Cook's Illustrated is trustworthy for equipement reviews as they do not have any advertising.

damonrpayne,

I bought a Chargriller just like yours six years ago and it's going strong. The thing I like best about it is the thick cast iron grills. But you can't let moisture get to them or they will rust like crazy. I highly recommend getting the plastic cover for it if you haven't already. I smoke just about everything using Kingsford charcoal and chunks of hickory, cherry and maple from my woodshop. I keep them in a bucket of water on the back porch. Enjoy!

Will the plastic cover alone be sufficient or is there anything else you do to keep the grates from rusting? I love the char marks those grates make!

I use "Best of the West" brand 100% mesquite natural charcoal. For more delicate meats I sometimes use chunk hickory wood. The natural stuff does burn out quicker than Kingsford, but it does not have any chemicals which can put bad flavors in your food. The benefit of natural is you can add it to your fire while cooking something low and slow without chemical invasion. One technique I have used involves getting a good base fire going with Kingsford, then keeping it up as needed with the natural stuff when cooking one of those all day affairs like a brisket or turkey. It's all good clean? well smoky fun.