Power Conditioners / Surge Protectors

Sky Hits

Hi everyone!

Any recommendations on power conditioning / surge protection? I live in an old apartment building with who knows what quality power. I'm interested in spending a little money (in the low hundreds) to insure that my sound system is protected from menace.

All suggestions are welcome.

check ebay for hts 2500's and 2600's.  List is 350, I bought 5 of them for 50 bucks each.   They have 2 stage filtering and plenty of jule rating

Tripp Lite also make some good surge protectors with built-in filtering, even between their own outlets, so you can filter noise between components. Mine actually improved the video picture, making the blacks more black.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/suppressors/selector/index.cfm?standard=no&step=2&mode=1&category=strip#step2

A power conditioner is more than just a surge protector.  It sees to it that the electrical current being delivered remains constant regardless of what is happening to the mains.  When major cities do brown outs it will impact your sound reproduction.  A power conditioner will stop that from occurring.

Belkin makes a few power conditioners that are considerably cheaper, like less than half the price and seem to have most/all/more of the features that the Monster ones do. I don't know anyone that has a Belkin unit but I know for me I still can't decide between one of the Belkin's or the Monster HTS5100. http://www.pureav.com/power/

I always wanted (needed) one, but didn't want to spend the money. Forum members turned me on to a sale on Monster HTS 3500. Retail $450.00(?), got it for $125.00. We used it in Hope 2006 as the Farm House power supply was questionable.

I hate being at work with a thunderstorm building, and wonder if I unplugged before leaving home. The peace of mind, is worth the money IMHO.

tc

I found that there are different functions for different types of conditioners. Surge protection, regulated power, and isolation (and backup power for ups). I ended up going with a Tripp-lite LC1200 line conditioner for keeping power at a constant 120 volts. Also works as a good surge protector. In tandem with that I have a Tripp-lite IS 1000 isolation transformer. Since the isolation transformer doesn't connect you directly to the line power, only through the transformer, it filters out a lot more of the nasties (even switch turn on and off pops) than most other products will but with still giving a fair amount of current output. These two cost about the same as a lower quality Monster unit (aren't as pretty - very utilitiarian) but I think they would do a better job than most conditioners near their price point. My opinion of course.

I've loved our 20-Amp, Tripp Lite Rack Mounted Line Conditioner for the last 3 years. It even helped us identify there was a bad step-down transformer on our power line on a nearby power pole outside, which the power company as since replaced after we called.

Although, the LCR-2400 lists for $499, it still can be had on-line for way under $300. I paid $250 +Shipping 3 years ago.

It may be "butt-ugly", but it works great and it's a bargain!

post-10177-13819339770352_thumb.jpg

I've loved our 20-Amp, Tripp Lite Rack Mounted Line Conditioner for the last 3 years. It even helped us identify there was a bad step-down transformer on our power line on a nearby power pole outside, which the power company as since replaced after we called.

Although, the LCR-2400 lists for $499, it still can be had on-line for way under $300. I paid $250 +Shipping 3 years ago.

It may be "butt-ugly", but it works great and it's a bargain!

There's nothing ugly about that. It really looks the business. Were you able to hear any diffference, either good or bad, with the conditioner in your system?

There's nothing ugly about that. It really looks the business. Were you able to hear any diffference, either good or bad, with the conditioner in your system?

Islander: I only call it the "Ugly Ducking" of my rack because when compared with some of the other conditions from Panamax and Monster, mine is pretty homley, while there's are quite stunning. But, their's cost a lot more, too.

To be honest with you, I've never had my system connected to the AC line without the LCR-2400 being in the circuit, so I could not tell you at this point if there is a difference in the sound. What I can tell you is that I never hear anything excpet what I am supposed to: No transients, no hum (even with my turntable), no ticks, no pops, nothing! Nor do I see interference on our projection screen. The output voltage is always rock-steady despite some serious fluctuations we used to have prior to Detroit Edison changing out our home's power line transformer. Now, even the incoming is steady. I monitor input and output stages with separate voltage meters that I purchased.

I removed the LCR-2400's two chrome handles in order to allow the door on our rack to close...

post-10177-13819339773022_thumb.jpg

I've been using an ADCOM ACE-515 for nearly 20years now. Its NEVER failed me. And, from what people who know way more about these things than I have told me that this is one of the best that has ever been manufactured. I think its still manufactured today, same model number.

Best thing, its got a amp trigger to turn on the amps 30 seconds after it turns on the other electronics. It also turns the amps off before the other electronics.

I've seen these on Audiogon for 50$ to 75$. I probably need to buy a few more, but I am so satisfied with it, I just forget about it.

Edit: I stand corrected, I just checked the ADCOM website and it seems that the ACE-515 is now the ACE-615 and it has ILS (If Lightning Strikes) technology. Check it out.

Ron,

How's the Belkin do on filtering for audio noise? I've got a low level hum that I believe to be dirty power or dc or something filterable and i'm considering the Belkin. I do not believe ground loop is the source of the hum.

No hums at all. Seemed to clean up the background some. Really hard to describe how it improved the sound. I do like how it turns on various pieces of equipment at different times. Helps when firing up the amps.