BBQ'ing What's Your Specialty

Gilbert

Well, the labor day weekend is over, and I stayed away from the office the entire time. Got a chance to smoke a 20 lb angus brisket, and some baby back ribs. Came out tender and juicy.

BRISKET ANGUS OR HERFORD BEEF IS BEST, JMHO:

Messaged my favorite brisket rub (Fiesta Spice from back home, Laredo, Texas) for about 15 min into the meat grain. Then pierced the meat and inserted about 15 or 20 garlic cloves uniformly through out. Garnished with sliced red onion top and bottom and let sit in the refridgerator for about 30 hrs., all the time it sat she was wrapped in extra heavy duty Alum. foil.

The next afternoon, I smoked the baby for about 7 hours at approx. 200 deg. F (Fat Side Up, Always). After taking her out of the smoker, I wrapped her up in a blanket (with foil still on, of course) and let the meat sit in a 3" thick styrofoam container over night. This allows the meat to cool down very slowly and all the while absorb the cooked juices back-up into the meat. What a treat, the best brisket yet. Super tasty, extremely tender and juicy juicy juicy. The wife, kids and I were pulling the meat off with our finger tips. Save the juice for Dripped beef sandwiches, mmmmmgood.

BABY BACK RIBS:

Dbl Racks of Baby back ribs: Both hand rubbed, again, but with Lea & Perrins spice. Then garnished with thinly sliced pieces of key lime, and juiced with another 3 or 4 limes each rack. Topped-off each rack with fresh cracked pepper and a little of the wifes favorite BBQ sauce. Wrapped them in foil and cooked at the same time with the brisket, but for only 4 hours (Bone side down, Always). These baby backs' didn't last 30 min, they were promptly devoured. We tried to speparate the bones by hand, and they did easily pulled apart, but the meat literally fell off the bone with a twist of the rib. Very tastys.

Some of you will wonder about the wrapping the meat in foil part, I know I sure did. But somehow the smoke works it way in. I don't fully understand how, because I do not provide slits in the foil or anything. The procedure I followed was recommended by a client of the firm. This guy is/was a multi-time grand champion BBQ'er. I never knew such a competition existed. Anyway, he's taken repeated 1st Places in several events, including the famous nationals event held in Kansas, as well as BBQ competitions is LasVegas, Missouri, and Texas to name a few. I went with him to a local competition just to sample, he was not competeing, but just showing me around. Everybody knew him, and in one instance, when we walked into a room that was full of chatter from guys talking BBQ, the entire room went silent as we (him actually) walked through the door. It was pretty impressive, at least I thought it was. Good luck and happy BBQ'ing. If you have a particular reciepe you'd like to share, please offer it up. I love to BBQ. Especially seafood, grouper, salmon, snapper, scallops, shirimp, and lobster. Yum yum, I'm making myself hungery. Gotta go.

Did some Grouper, Chilean Sea Bass, Sirloin Tips, lime rub chicken and of the course the traditional Hebrew National hot dogs, hamburgers and sweet corn this weekend. Lobster was on sale but they steam it for you right in the store so I opted for that method to make lobster rolls with some fresh crusty bread.

Did some ribs in the oven since I don't have a smoker and cannot regulate the hear lower than say 300 on the grill.

I did a small brisket not to long ago that I marinated for 48 hrs and slow grilled for about 4-5 hours and it was moist and tender.

Gilbert, you are saying that the brisket was in foil the whole smoking time? I will have to try that, brisket is the most difficult in my book. I have thought of the foil trick after a few hours of initial smoke time, but that sounds unnecessary now. The hardest part for me would be the overnight cooling/waiting period. Thanks for the tip! I still don't know how the open pit guys make it work so well.

I recently had success with spare ribs as posted in the other thread, but my previous best work has been with whole turkeys and chickens. Nothing complicated, just oil, season and smoke on the lower rack over liquid in the Brinkmans.

Did some Grouper, Chilean Sea Bass, Sirloin Tips, lime rub chicken and of the course the traditional Hebrew National hot dogs, hamburgers and sweet corn this weekend. Lobster was on sale but they steam it for you right in the store so I opted for that method to make lobster rolls with some fresh crusty bread.

Did some ribs in the oven since I don't have a smoker and cannot regulate the hear lower than say 300 on the grill.

I did a small brisket not to long ago that I marinated for 48 hrs and slow grilled for about 4-5 hours and it was moist and tender.

Please tell me more about the lime rub chicken. Always looking for something new to do to chicken.

I'm pretty good at smoked steaks and jerked pork tenderloins.

Stuffed whole Redfish, and gator tails. I just hope there are no Wildlife Officers on the forum!

I'm sure you meant, FARM raised gator [;)]; When I lived in Tampa, FL, I use to eat it every once in a while at the resturants.

Gatror was okay, but I'd take a fresh red snapper or red fish smoothered in crawfish etoufe anyday, that is one of my all time favorites. Speaking of which, I hope the "Court of Two Sisters" resturant in nawlin's has reopen'ed since the Katrina hurricane. Man, I use to love to go down there to eat.

WIth the Brisket, I slow cook it half way, then slice thinly, pour a Lipton's Onion Soup mix packet in with water, then simmer it for another hour vor two very slowly. A Jewish Grandmother (not mine) showed me how to do it that way. It ends up very juicy and tender that way.

The bit about letting it sit in it's juices it absolutely right. Don't remove it too quickly or it will dry out.

On the grille, I'm a big Salmon fan. I have a spice mix with cinnamon, cumin, black pepper and some others (I'll look it up) quick and easy to prepare. Just get to 160 degrees inside and take it off the heat. Mmmm flaky mmmmm

Please tell me more about the lime rub chicken. Always looking for something new to do to chicken.

I'm pretty good at smoked steaks and jerked pork tenderloins.

Thebes,

I actually got it at the grocery store to try it and came away impressed and one package goes a long way. I typically come up with my own blend but decided to give it a try. I think the product is called Rubz, and it was margarita lime rub and applied generously it brings chicken and fish to life. Yummy stuff.

This is a little unique, but my specialty is marinades. I worked in a small but nice restaurant during my high school years as a cook which essentially gave me insights on how ingredients taste together. Long story short, I've spent quite a few years working all this out but I'm at the point now where I can pull together ingredients and randomly place them together, which has turned into rubs and marinades for the grill. My favorite concoction for this past grilling season has to be a raspberry port marinade.

Put some fresh raspberries and red onions in a food processor and puree them. Add about a quarter bottle of six grapes port and some dill and of course salt and pepper to taste. Add a little lemon juice to counter the sweetness and soak your meat in it for a good 24 hours. Works really good with venison.

This is sort of cheating the whole BBQ thing but it tastes soooo good and it's so easy to make and there's lots of it that it gets grandfathered in....

Once every couple of months (including this Labor Day weekend) I like to get an 8lb pork shoulder (or Boston Butt..same thing), get it home and cut some the fat off of it that's easy to get to. No need to worry, there's plenty of fat throughout to keep the flavor goin. Anyway...cover it heavily in Emeril's Essence dry rub and throw it in your biggest crock pot. I know, I know...it's not the grill and that's cheating but when you taste this, you'll realize it's too good and too easy NOT to do again. If you want it spicy, leave the Emeril's dry rub on it over night in the fridge before you put in the crock pot. You don't add anything else when you put it in...nothing. No water is necessary. Put it on high and let it cook for 8 to 10 hours. The fat will start melting and provide all the liquid thats necessary. I usually start mine at 11 pm and let it cook over night. After it's done, take it out of the crock pot, pour off the liquid fat, pull it apart with some forks until its nicely chewed up and put it back in the crock pot WITH YOUR FAVORITE BBQ SAUCE for another 2 hours. Don't be shy with the sauce either. For an 8 pounder, I usually put a quart and a half plus of Sonny's sweet sauce!!!!!

Hopefully you have some Texas garlic toast on hand and you've got the best (and easiest) sandwiches you ever ate!!!!

. If you want it fairly spicey, let it sit in the fridge with the dry rub overnight before you cook it but otherwise, you can cook it right after you put the rub on.

Our most common thing on the smoker is pork loin. Simply rubbed down in olive oil and some spices (Rosemary, etc my wife usually does this) rubbed in, over a pan of water in an offset brinkman smoker mostly charcaol usually at least a few wood chunks thrown in (mesquite, cherry, apple, etc) occassionally wood. Takes about 5 hours and is quite tasty. Be even better if we'd keep the heat down and smoke longer.

On the grill the family's favorite is steak that's marinated in lime juice, taco seasoning and Lynchburg Lemonade. I usually almost slice this up before putting in the marinade and then grill as normal steak and slice up in strips for tacos. Also works well with chicken. Extremely simple.

We haven't done fish on the grill in a while but need to as that sounds really good. Scanning through this thread is making me hungry.

i recently had a new york steak that had been marinated in balsamic vinegar. sounds strange; but, was very, very good.

This just reminded me of an old marinade for Rib eye's. My mouth is watering as I type.

First, get medieval on a THICK boneless Ribeye with a fork. Poke lots of holes in it.

Second, marinade it in a mixture of Soy Sauce (Not that reduced sodium crap), Lowrey's brand garlic salt, and ground thyme. The longer it soaks, the better it gets. Let stand till room temp before grilling.

While grilling, add small amounts of the marinade to the top of the steaks, be careful not to let too much spill into the coals (this tends to put the fire out, as it is desirable to have a screaming hot grill while cooking). About 8 minutes on one side, turn for 6 minutes more. then 10 minutes in foil to rest off the fire.

Man I can't wait till this weekend.