Tell Us A Tale of Stereos Large and Small

thebes

I've walked a million miles in the wrong shoes over the last month. My feet are sore, my heart is laboring and my soul is tired and sorely tried.

It's personal stuff. My family's in a bad way with death and very ill-health. Not seeking sympathy, nor commiseration, because I've had gobs of that in recent days.

Nope not at all because I really do need some nonsense, friviolity, laughter and some of the magic juice that abides in this online community. What I need are gear-heads, people here who come for the music, hustlers seeking the ultimate score, tubers an, egad!, solid staters.

I need to hear of epic scores, stereophonic nirvosa, the search for ultimate Bose system, The One That Got Away, in search of The Motherload, KT 88's versus Mullard El 34's, high end cable described in terms of sexual release. I need those wimpy SET guys expanding their manly chests in wall shaking, volume shattering boogie 'till you drop heavy metal counterpoints to those Nancy's proclaiming the ascendancy of the ye old Push and a Pull. I need Alan pulling the feathers off a certain Parrot, I need a hoary one-liner from a four letter word, I need a caustic killer comment from a Bar(d)t. I need the gentle souls that reside here to pass the time like neighbors talking over a fence. I need it all and what better place to find it.

Don't need me no best wishes, prayers, commiseration, just the straight up stuff.

Come to think of it, I mentioned the Search for The Motherload a few sentences ago. So let me start the ball rolling with a very true little tale.

Less than a month ago I was hitting a local garage sale where I walked off with a few lps and an early JBL folded horn, While chatting up the sellers I spent a little time talking to this cute little cousin of the seller. A wisp of a thing, she had doe eyes, a pert nose and a secret smile. She also, casually, mentioned that in the storage shed attached to her house lay about 50 cases of lps belonging to her father-in-law that had been siting there for years. Partly personal collection and mostly from his purchase of the stock of a record store that had gone out of business.

Now I've heard these tales before, the 1965 Triumph still in it's shipping carton, $50 Marantz 8b's, you name it. She may just have been setting ahook, but if so she had the right bait and that itch that the Motherload is just around the corner is hard to scratch because it resides in that place you can't quite reach with your fingernails.

So I dropped the dime, made the call and................................

Hey Marty, hope all is well with you. I'm guessing you read of my Luxman score...well gotta telll ya I'm still enjoying the sound of this system, turntable and cartridge in particular. you know what it sure is nice when you come across something that you just can't put down, dosn't matter what it is, new camera, lawnmower, a well balanced hammer, but all you know is that you paid your money and you got no regrets. Hey Pal keep well...and keep your chin-up....John.

Two pair of laScalas for 800 dollars. No room then to put them. Room now, no money to buy, they're gone anyway. A six eye columbia mono of Brubeck's Time Out, only 1 dollar, horribly abused and not listenable, yet looks good.

They might be giants, but probably not. Maybe the self created black hole will consume us all soon? Then there was the 66 vette convertible for 8000 but i did not have it so young. Ten years or less later, you know what they were going for. At least, "she was, an american girl..." But no one warned me about her, the way she lied...

But after all, tomorrow is another day! To stay in bed. Thebes you are my hero of this forum.

Yeah, John I caught your Luxman score but not much time to post of late.

Is it me or there some sort of special tingle in your body when you get your hands on something special and cool at the same time? It's almost like a new girl friend. You can't stop looking at her and thinking that somehow you are one lucky...

OT, we're old warriors marching through the plusses and minusses of life and have now earned the right, through longevity mostly, to point proudly at our scars and celebrate our ups and downs. I'd claim you as a brother but what type of fool would let LaScalas go when they were only 800 dollars? No bloodbank in your neighborhood?

Oh, almost forgot. Here's this little line from one of our more esteemed poets:

We learned more from a 3-minute record, baby
Than we ever learned in school

The score was in college. An upper classman gave me a broken Panasonic 8-track for a car with an FM tuner in the form-factor of an 8-track tape. The year was about 1971. Neat stuff for the time. Tape and FM!

Actually these had been damaged. The fellow had them in his air cooled Volkswagon Bug. In the VW there was no panel space and they were mounted near his knee. An accident occured and his knee took out the unit and vice versa. I fixed up the electronics.

At about the same time another upper classman sold me an aging Volvo 1800S, which had its own problems needing fixing up. Beautiful car, though.

Eventually, I got it all working with four speakers in the Volvo. Album oriented rock was on the FM. Beatles, Cream, Jefferson Airplane, CSN&Y, and very hip DJs on WNEW.

The bottom line: Unusual electronics, remarkable car, lots of speakers, classic rock,

Wm McD.

I . .

high end cable described in terms of sexual release.

This past winter I went from some awfull (in my system anyway) Monster Interlink 300 and 400 Mk II's to some custom made Kimber Hero interconnects. The best and shortest way to describe the switch over was from SLOPPY to TIGHT.

Hope that's not too graphic....[;)]

The score was in college. Album oriented rock was on the FM. Beatles, Cream, Jefferson Airplane, CSN&Y, and very hip DJs on WNEW.

The bottom line: Unusual electronics, remarkable car, lots of speakers, classic rock,

Wm McD.

I . .

Ya know, in the so called era of Stereo most of us were getting by with the best junk we could afford.

Ah, the music though!

New to us new, seemingly, to the world. Roll down the window, turn up the knob and just groove.

OT, that's the most outrageous and bald attempt ot cheer someone up I've ever seen. $200 lascalas, now that's a myth and a fable.

Cheez next thing you know, it's a $50 Marantz 8b. Like that would ever happen.

Oh, Mighty, we may have to start spelling your name in small letters if you keep telling those cable whoppers.

Not sure if this will cheer you up. True story - it still galls me to this day.

In my junior year of college, I happened to stop by the local student government (ASWC) office on my way out of town for the Christmas holidays. While I was there, I noticed a credenza that had a bunch of crap piled on it. As I got closer, I realized it was a JBL Paragon. I casually inquired if they'd be interested in selling it as it was taking up space. The person who was there (the ASWC president) said "Sure - give us $100 for it and it is yours!' I said, "Hold it for me, I'll pick it up after Christmas." and we shook on it. When I returned from the holidays, I discovered that they had traded it for a couch. [:'(]

That was the one that truly got away.

-D

thebes,

1968 GT 500 KR Shelby Fastback. White with black interior, 10 spoke rims 40,056 miles on the ticker. In storage for 11 years, never undercoated, had specs of rust showing through the orriginal paint underneath the car on the floor boards. 4 speed car, tilt etc. Guy had a double mortgage and was going to loose his house. Asking $10,000 back in the day. Came and looked at my 1967 GT 390 and agreed on my car and $5,000. My mom wouldn't cosign for me, and they could well afford to!! I had to wait till I was 18 to get my liscense because she wouldn't sign for me to take drivers ed.

A few years later; 3 cars, one money. All cars were real but little things like crager rims and headers, needed returned to stock. Two 1968 GT-500 early 68 non KRs and a 1969 Boss 429. All three for $40,000. Didn't have the money or credit and parrents wouldn't help. I knew then where they would be now.

1968 Mustang listed as a 390. Drove 1.5 hours but did not take the $3,500 with me. I was intrigued by the white paint, black stripe and hood scoop. Yes a 1968.5 R code real 428 cobra jet with the orriginal engine. I made a 100 mph stab at getting home to get the money, car was gone before I got back.

Found a totally crushed 1968.5 R code body in the woods while hunting. Car was rolled. Was told I could hall it away for free. Never got arround to it. With the VIN, I could have gotten a legit tittle as it was never junked. That tittle would be worth a few thousand now for someone wanting to build a fake.

On a brighter note. A buddy just scored a triumph silver jubilee 1 of 1,000 motorcycle in the last 6 months. These bikes were built to celebrate the Queens 25 years on the thrown. The bike was on the orriginal red line flat tires and covered with junk and dust with only 70 miles on it... TRUE story!!

Finally thebes; Two doctors are making love. After they finish, the male Dr. tells the female Dr. "You must be a surgeon he says". "Why is that she asks?" He states, "Because you washed your hands both before and after". She tells him; "Well you must be an Anasthesiologist." "Why is that" he asked". "Because I didn't feel SH*T", she says.

Roger

I remember during youth when I purchased my first high powered speaker system. It was an Altec 1218A 15" 2Way with a 811b horn tweeter and a 412a woofer. There was a nice lid that you could latch to the front to protect the drivers during transport.

This was my first taste of personally owned raw horsepower. Ahhhh Yes....

One day I was noodleing along in my bedroom just minding my own business, with these mamoth beast. I was listening to "More than a Feeling" by Boston when a voice came on board the "Voice Of the Bedroom" and said "Breaker One Nine!". I thought "What the Flux?" ( I didn't cuss yet because I was still a pristine virgin chap, with an English accent) That was never on the recording before....!!! The ghosts have invaded my mojo and have posessed my VOB's beasts.

After further dialog I recognized the trucker voice of my neighborhood friends father who had a ham radio with what he claimed was a 100 W transmitter and a rather impressive tower antenna. That was my first lession in Radio Waves and Phonograph cartridges.

Long live the horned beast!

Years ago my brother gave me an old tube amp that the previous owner had left when moving out, too heavy maybe. Turned out to be a HK Citation 2 in pretty good shape. I have yet to try it out, knowing it will probably need new electrolytics, but it's still sitting on a shelf in the garage waiting to pay for my son's college tuition.

How it happened for the Kaiser!

My older brother got upgrade-itis while stationed in Germnay in 1968. He sent his baby (11yrs) half bro his old kit which was a tube loaded Grundig shortwave stereo (rectangular bread box size) console with matching 2 way (3/4' & 10") speakers. Although radio was a far cry better back then I wanted more so I went to a downtown (San Antonio) electronics repair shop who sold second hand gear. Saw this beautiful Dual table with what was probably the proto runs of the venerable V-15 which the guy sold me for a song and a dance. He then preceeded to build me a new cable for the DIN on the Grundig and the rest is history[:D]

Stereo small eh! Don't think it gets much smaller than this[;)]

post-18681-1381938200529_thumb.jpg

post-18681-13819393400406_thumb.jpg