What is everybody drinking tonite?????????

winchester21

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now- My Cabernet stash has taken some major hits over the last 4 months- Any reccomendations of a good one for under 30 bucks??

I personally really enjoy J Lohr cabernets. http://www.jlohr.com/wines_main.html#vineyard

Typically priced 7 Oaks at $17/bottle, I can sometimes find it on sale for nearly $12. The higher end Cuvee' and Hilltop series are wonderful.

ETA: pulled a bottle of '95 from the cellar at xmas for a little treat.

+ 1 on the J Lohr cabs- about 15-16 in this area- lotsa bang for the buck

Yeah- I know ruining burbon with coke is a sin- Just love the taste of it. I do splurge on Blanton's or Basil hayden every once in a while and I dont mix that with NOTHING.

Got a rack of baby backs that have been cooking since 9:00 last nite in the crock pot.Popping the cork on a bottle of Summers charbono- napa-villa andriana-2005 Another economy casualty.marketed at 50 bucks selling on closeout for 19.Kicks Foley's @ss and that is saying something.Plain jane label and no marketing. Too bad cause it sure is good.

Mad Dog 20/20 slushies..... Wink

My friend who moved from LA a couple years ago thinks it is funny how southerns like to get beer as cold as possible. In the summer it is slushie beer. Hell if it is 100 with 50% or higher humidity you need slushie beer..

Mad Dog 20/20 slushies..... Wink

My friend who moved from LA a couple years ago thinks it is funny how southerns like to get beer as cold as possible. In the summer it is slushie beer. Hell if it is 100 with 50% or higher humidity you need slushie beer..

Hey I'm in both of those posts...MD 20/20 got me through the winter of 1978 in Michigan, and I live in LA now (if you are talking about Los Angeles).

American Cabs have gotten a little pricey and it is hard to find a decent one under $20 and under $15 they are scarcer than hen's teeth. I have been spending my money on Aussie Shiraz, more bang for the buck. Here are two I can recommend:

2006 Strong Arms Shiraz, produced by the talented winemaker Chris Ringland, this wine got 91 points from Robert Parker and is a killer value, the price did bump up once the review was released. Initially $10, now 10-13. If you see the '06 grab it, the current release will be the '07. That has not made it's way to NYC yet. I went through two cases of this and would have bought more if it didn't sell out.

2006 Marquis Phillips Shiraz, nothing subtle about it. Either you will love or hate the wine, there is no middle ground on the wine boards on this one. 92 points from Robert Parker, should run you about $14 a bottle. Both of these wines would benefit from an hour of air time,(decanting), before drinking them. Best served with food. Should be served at cellar temperature, don't be afraid to stick it in the fridge for ten minutes before you drink it.

Steve- + 1 on the aussies- I have a huge stash of the big boys from back when the sales #s were good

problem is- that they(even the cheapies) have become achieved cult status in this area- no stock -inflated prices

Marquis Phillips- along with MollyDooker- (another MP line) is grabbed up and inflated over retail.

the 2nd lind ca cabs are the deals here if you are fast on the trigger.

Thanks for the tip- keep them coming.